Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 02-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #16
hwe
Regular User

no pain no gain

But I have said my opinions, nothing to add, so my answers to your post lies above
x 1993 Saab 900i 2.1
hwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:18 PM   #17
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

damn.. well that sucks.. here at college i dont really have the spare 25$ usd ;\ oh well
Old 02-23-2004, 09:59 PM   #18
Ziploc
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by hwe
Not sure how it is generated, but as I have said if you change hardware you have to get a new code from the game homepage.
EXACTLY - an unneeded pain they subject their customer too because of their own lack of skill in protecting their software.

By sending your 12 quid to begin with, you are paying to PREVENT this type of thing - not subscribe to it.. :roll:
believe me, any other method would have heaps of piracy
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:22 PM   #19
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ziploc
Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by hwe
Not sure how it is generated, but as I have said if you change hardware you have to get a new code from the game homepage.
EXACTLY - an unneeded pain they subject their customer too because of their own lack of skill in protecting their software.

By sending your 12 quid to begin with, you are paying to PREVENT this type of thing - not subscribe to it.. :roll:
believe me, any other method would have heaps of piracy
...again - piracy would be a "cost" of their doing business.. not my being a customer...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:22 PM   #20
hwe
Regular User

Loosing you as customer can't be a big loss (£12) in relation to how much they would have lost in piracy. And as mentioned above the LFS community would suffer.

"an unneeded pain they subject their customer too because of their own lack of skill in protecting their software.
Its no pain, takes a couple of moments to do. Lack of skill - they are one of the few developers that so far have been succesfull with their protection.

By sending your 12 quid to begin with, you are paying to PREVENT this type of thing - not subscribe to it"
I am not paying to prevent copyprotection, I paid FOR it, because I like the LFS racing community as it is - lots of clean racing ! I think their great copy protection is a good thing.
x 1993 Saab 900i 2.1
Old 02-24-2004, 01:59 PM   #21
RC45
Regular User

How many copies have they sold again? VS NFS Underground - which was copied the week BEFORE it went on sale...

The argument doesnt wash.

They will be a financial failure - and they will wait just too long to take the lunge -and the next group of developers to develop a similar game will take an offer, become the next big franchise and LFS will be but a footnote on a 600mb CD of history...
Old 02-24-2004, 02:50 PM   #22
hwe
Regular User

I don't think so.
They are only 3 people to split the income.
If they didn't make money on it, why would they continue developing it ??
And if another game comes along that can compete with LFS - great !
Competition is good. If the game was good I would buy that one to.

Seems like you're angry because you can't get a copy for free. If you really wanted to buy the game I can't understand why the copyprotection should be a problem.

Btw, its not on a cd, you have to download it. And its not 600 mb.
x 1993 Saab 900i 2.1
Old 02-24-2004, 05:51 PM   #23
RC45
Regular User

I am not angry at all.

I buy my game software - because I can afford it, and I reward others efforts - if I am not inconvenienced.

I don't need a copy for free.

I am simply stating my choice as a consumer - that the burden of any company's business should not be mine - except in the form of a purchase price - period.

These guys don't make enough money from their software, that is why they have to covet the installed source so much - for fear someone would copy and share it and they would be out revenue.

That is why the business savvy take their ideas/concepts/software and let a publisher bear the cost burden of distribution while they get the payout of their labour.

The "noble art of software for the people" and "not selling out" and "keeping creative control" is so naive it's laughable.

Cash in - have a life and move on I say

The titles that actually make money are making money even WHILE they are being copied - why?

Because they field the product to a wider audience of buyers.

I have downloaded the demo LFS - and quite frankly is OK, not THAT good... and the reason they don't have my 12 quid is because unlike any other software I currently have - I can disconnect from the Internet and enjoy it - even on a stand alone PC - without being FORCED to go back to the source each time I want to change my system.

That is like being forced to go back to the Publisher when you move your magazine collection from the hall lavatory to the crapper off your den...

It is a matter of principle.

Oh well - to each their own ...

p.s. I was not implying their software was 600mb in size - but rather that LFS will have only a brief 15 minutes of fame and be as outdated as a 600mb CD before the show was over