Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-12-2004, 08:06 PM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default Why is planetf1.com always so anti-Schumi

From Winners and Losers

Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, 2nd
Michael had an impressive drive to second place, but such was the superiority of the Ferrari F2004 over other cars that he rarely had to dive into a banzai overtaking move to get past anyone. His skill on Sunday was a remorseless qualifying pace after he got into his Schuminator mindset.

Most of Michael’s moves came from him scaring other drivers into mistakes – such as Sato and Webber - while he simply pulled alongside Jenson Button on the start/finish straight.

Though spinning at the start of a race can hardly be deemed as ‘lucky’, he was a tad fortunate not to sustain any damage when he banged into Jenson Button at the second chicane and left his car side on to the rest of the field.

Had he taken Jenson out of the race with this uncharacteristic “four wheeled slide” he could have been in to see the stewards. As it was we got a memorable burn from the stern.

Fernando Alonso, Renault, DNF
One of the big debates, post-Monza will be – how come it’s left to the marshals to decide who wins a World Championship.

At the Nurburgring last year Schumacher’s Ferrari was beached in an almost identical position to Fernando Alonso’s Renault. It was perched on the outside of a bend. The only difference was that Alonso’s was on the outside of a fast chicane and very close to the racing line, whereas Schumacher’s car was visible from the top of the hill down to the Dunlop Kurve and was quite a way off the racing line.

In Germany the marshals made the decision to push the German back onto the track. In Italy they made the Spaniard switch off his engine and retire the car. One of the decisions was wrong – we need to know which.

The points Schumi got from the European GP at the Nurburgring helped him win the 2003 World Championship. Had he got the treatment Alonso got on Sunday we would now be looking at just a six times World Champion.

Perhaps the ‘pushing out of a dangerous situation’ should be scrapped. They can push out, but then the driver heads back to the pits and retires.

That is just today, in previous races and articles there are many more examples.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

That's just the way it is ... some are for him and some against.

F1 Racing is consistently for him.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:02 PM   #3
tigerx
Regular User

lol it doesn't matter what they say, schumi is GOD, and you know it.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:17 PM   #4
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao

most british media is against him, i don't know why, but everyone seems to love JM
Old 09-12-2004, 10:21 PM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

JM? Juan Pablo Montoya? Majority of people don't even like him. Certainly not me.

If you want to see some serious Schumi hating, look at this!

I love him though

also, I don't think the British media is against him, but is ...uninterested since he's not British and Ferrari's not British.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:31 PM   #6
tigerx
Regular User

LMFAO that's funny as hell.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:49 PM   #7
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by toronto
Originally Posted by sameerrao

most british media is against him, i don't know why, but everyone seems to love JM
I didn't want to specifically point this out earlier as there are British fans here on JW but it is sadly true.

Nigel Roebuck and a few others dont like Schumi much. At least Nigel respects Schumi for his abilities but he is always quick enough to undermine his achievements - "Yes it is a great win but where is the competition" or "won with questionable moves".

Let me attempt to point out the things I believe the British press hold against Schumi:

Fair Play

The British sense of fair play ranks very high in the minds of the press. I think that they try to compare everyone to Stirling Moss who would be the ideal embodiment of a British Racing Driver - brilliant on the track, scrupulously fair, belief that Racing is noble art and not just boys playing on a track.

Schumi's chop and tough actions on the track have certainly not endeared him to the crowd.

Many journalists have still not forgiven Schumi for Adelaide 94 which cost Damon the win. Also the attempt at jerez in 97. The Michael of the last few years is a different man from the Michael in the mid-90s. He is now more circumspect on the track and has not done anything drastic to get a win (not that he needs to ) ... Schumi has moved on but the journalists are still in the 1997 mold

The arrogance factor

They call him supremely arrogant - but I think he is pretty humble guy for all his achievements. He is not given to tantrums or temper fits at the track liek Montoya or some one else.

What Schumi is .... is supremely self-confident - this has been mis-interpreted as arrogance.

When Schumi says that he believes he can win the next race or the pole or whatever ... it is the genuine confidence in his abilities as a driver and those of him to make a win possible. He is not showing off to the public

Other

Michael has never held two British drivers in high regard - Damon Hill and David Coulthard. he has called them whingers and perhaps this has further poisoned the British Press.

I think the fact that Michael keeps mentioning that the past does not matter to him must be annoying them also. Goes back to my point about a perceived lack of respect to the glorious past of F1. I think Schumi is a down to earth and realistic kind of guy. Whether he is a fan or not of the apst is minuscule importance to him. Racing is in his blood. He does not need to dwell in the past.

Anyway ... this is all a big storm in a tea cup. I dont give a flying fuck about what the British or any other press have to say.

There a few reporters I respect (by queer concidence ... all are British ) .. the rest I look for news content and not analysis. Most are friggin armchair gurus whose greatest effort in life has been waking up in the morning.

The ones I like/liked are:

1. Denis Jenkinson - from the past - he won Mille Miglia as a co-driver. His race reports were a thing of beauty

2. Eoin Young

3. Nigel Roebuck - except for his Schumacher coverage

4. Steve Matchett - brilliant technical commentory

5. Peter Windsor

6. Martin Brundle - if he would shut up about "When I raced with Senna at ..."

7. Murray Walker - passionate fan

8. James Allen - his recaps of the race are always good to read...

The rest are all good for news or gossip .. not for analysis.

That's my opinion and I am sticking to it ....

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 09-13-2004, 12:53 AM   #8
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
JM? Juan Pablo Montoya? Majority of people don't even like him. Certainly not me.

I love him though

also, I don't think the British media is against him, but is ...uninterested since he's not British and Ferrari's not British.
well i hate to break it to you a majority of people DO like him, and mostly american....

he gets more coverage then anyone else except for mayb all the schumi bashing,
Old 09-13-2004, 01:10 AM   #9
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by toronto
Originally Posted by HeilSvenska

I love him though

well i hate to break it to you a majority of people DO like him, and mostly american....

he gets more coverage then anyone else except for mayb all the schumi bashing,
JPM and Schumi are similar only in that both have their share of rabid fans and virulent haters. Both are polarizing personalities

Unlike say a Kimi Raikonnen. I cant think of anyone hates him ... some may call him a dull speaker but no one hates him.