Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
TNT
Regular User

Default Upgrading memory

ok i am looking to add more or just change my RAM

this is my current settings

and this is what i want to add (the 1GB)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...?nclm=EFBC43B8

now my question is would i be able to put it in the open slot and have 1.5GB of RAM or would i have to switch them out?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
evoWalo
Regular User

Here you go Amigo http://dealnews.com/memory/
Old 09-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
Shinigami
Regular User

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to put it in. If the memory module is not too large, it should fit inside (assuming you've got a laptop).
Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
TNT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to put it in. If the memory module is not too large, it should fit inside (assuming you've got a laptop).

yeah i do a powerbook G4 1.67GHz and i am happy with it but when i am working some larger files in PS or Illstrator it takes a while to do some affect/sizing/whatever.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
TNT
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWalo
Here you go Amigo http://dealnews.com/memory/
thats a good site but what if i got two 1GBs, would i need anything special to remove teh 512mb i have now? and how would i make sure it would fit?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231118
Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
evoWalo
Regular User

i have a 1.33ghz 12-inch iBook g4 with a soldered on 512MB memory module. I stuffed a 1GB SODIMMon the slot.

which mac are you using btw?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
TNT
Regular User

powerbook g4 15inch
Old 09-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
blinkmeat
Regular User

i'd upgrade my core duo 2 but it's expensive :cry:
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

As long as you get the same type of RAM, DDR2 200pin, you'll be able to install it.

Your laptop might have 2 separate memory slots, one easily to access, and one closer to the CPU where you would have to disassemble the whole laptop to get to. But once you get to it, you should be able to take it out. Worst case they soder the chip to the board, but I doubt it.

But you should should be able to get to that "easy upgrade" memory slot and slap the 1gb chip in with no problems.

Watch out for static electricity
Old 09-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
TNT
Regular User

well getting to the slots is easy, its has its own panel on the under side of the laptop. and the open slot if on top. i will take a look at the other one to see if it is sodered or not. and would i just "pull" it out of the slot?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #11
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
powerbook g4 15inch
which specific model? some have soldered memory and some have memory limitations

crucial has a memory checker that gives you specifics on how much RAM you can officially stick in http://crucial.com/
Old 09-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

Default Re: Upgrading memory

Originally Posted by TNT
ok i am looking to add more or just change my RAM

this is my current settings

and this is what i want to add (the 1GB)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...?nclm=EFBC43B8

now my question is would i be able to put it in the open slot and have 1.5GB of RAM or would i have to switch them out?
Can't you just install iRAM and download iMemory for your iApple @ 25c a MB??
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:05 AM   #13
acmarttin
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
yeah i do a powerbook G4 1.67GHz and i am happy with it but when i am working some larger files in PS or Illstrator it takes a while to do some affect/sizing/whatever.
Yo TNT I've got the same chip in my 17'' (originally came with 512 MB RAM right?)

I'm a graphic designer (production artist) and if you're using the CS3 suite upgrading the RAM isn't going to help much. I tried upgrading my machine and I was getting piss poor results. My art director told me it's because the CS3 suite was optimized for the Intel chips and the G4's even G5's are coughing up blood. When I upgraded to CS3 I thought the slow rendering speed was just because of my outdated mac, too. The brand new machine I use at work with the Duo 2 chip has no trouble running CS3 and it only has 1 gig of ram - my boss' computer has 2 gigs and there's no noticeable difference.

If you're running CS2 then it's totally worth it. It just sucks if your job demands you use the latest version :cry:
Old 09-07-2007, 12:58 AM   #14
TNT
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWalo
Originally Posted by TNT
powerbook g4 15inch
which specific model? some have soldered memory and some have memory limitations

crucial has a memory checker that gives you specifics on how much RAM you can officially stick in http://crucial.com/
http://crucial.com/store/listparts.a...play%29%20DDR2

what i was looking at works; now just to find out if it is sodered in or not.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #15
TNT
Regular User

Originally Posted by acmarttin
Originally Posted by TNT
Yo TNT I've got the same chip in my 17'' (originally came with 512 MB RAM right?)

I'm a graphic designer (production artist) and if you're using the CS3 suite upgrading the RAM isn't going to help much. I tried upgrading my machine and I was getting piss poor results. My art director told me it's because the CS3 suite was optimized for the Intel chips and the G4's even G5's are coughing up blood. When I upgraded to CS3 I thought the slow rendering speed was just because of my outdated mac, too. The brand new machine I use at work with the Duo 2 chip has no trouble running CS3 and it only has 1 gig of ram - my boss' computer has 2 gigs and there's no noticeable difference.

If you're running CS2 then it's totally worth it. It just sucks if your job demands you use the latest version :cry:

yeah on this laptop i am still on CS2 i wasn't planning on upgrading b/c i have played around with CS3 and its not worth the upgrade, yet. but yes its at 512mb right now. i also am a graphic designer (officially in dec.) but i was working on a flash site for graduation and its just bogging down and i am like come on you lazy SoB.