Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
LotusGT1
Regular User

Default FXX (white) and with plates??

and

Old 01-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
racer_f50
Regular User

Have to say that white doesn't suit the FXX very well, but still some great finds

I wonder if they've had to modify that red one to make it road legal (besides changing the tires)?
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
LotusGT1
Regular User

I've been told those are dealer tags.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
and that means that it can be driven on the road.

Thats what i read over on fchat - that it doesn't matter if it is street legal or not.

The rule sounds a bit silly though - i mean a racing car with dealer tags on is street legal, then?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by thenumber1

Thats what i read over on fchat - that it doesn't matter if it is street legal or not.

The rule sounds a bit silly though - i mean a racing car with dealer tags on is street legal, then?
This is correct - most countries have a system whereby a garage/dealer can place temporary license/insurance tags/plates/discs on a vehicle to move it over public roads under their own paower.

For example to and from a roadworthy inspection facility.

Wealthy punters have always used this out when either they own the dealership or know a dealer who lends thme the tags to let them take their car on road trips.

I often did that when I took 250cc GP bikes out on breakfast runs and such.

(not that I was or am wealthy - I just knew a friendly dealer )
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
LotusGT1
Regular User

Does that mean I could use those plates for every kind of vehicle (let's say F1 car f.e.) ?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
yg60m
Regular User

I knew it exists in Italy or GB and even in Switzerland for testing prototypes but for race cars :shock: Nice find lotus
Old 01-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
... so I can put plates on my Clio and make it roadlegal then??
Sure you can - but the entire intent is "temporary use on public roads" - not continued use - so you could get away with once or twice or the odd use now and again, but the local cops would soon know the car if you tried to use it as a daily driver - which is clearly an illegal use of a temp/manufacturer/dealer plate/tag
Old 01-30-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
hamlet
Regular User

really nice pictures LutousGT1!! Did you found them or did you took them yourself?

The FXX in front of this nice house looks really cool. And for the white, it is fun even if I also prefer the original red one.

cheers.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
LotusGT1
Regular User

Found them.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
Darkel
Regular User

The red one belongs to Don Wallace and the plates come from his own dealership : Recreational Vehicles
Darkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #12
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by thenumber1

well back in the 60's near my dad's house F1 cars would pass by on the street being riden... so an FXX aint so great to see in the streets
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #13
Retro11s
Regular User

I find it very hard to believe that dealer plates would allow an FXX to be driven on public streets anywhere in the US. I remember when Porsche released the 959 and Bill Gates got one. They had not passed the crash tests for US approval and he tried to get it done with computer simulation. They would not accept it and the car (as other 959s in the US) have been relegated to a garage (or museums).

My guess would be that the administration (DOT?) that looks after allowing the car to be imported would require some sort of documentation indicating the car is intended for off road use (ie, racing) only or would be brought into compliance with US rules and regulations within a specific period of time.

And does anyone know about pollution controls on the car? Or crash test worthiness? Would it pass US rules and regulations for these two items?

Just a couple of thoughts on being able to drive one on the street....
Retro11s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
Retro11s
Regular User

US rules? do you mean... cupholders??
So using this line of thinking, the Ford GT and Corvette ZO6 won't pass either?
Retro11s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #15
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Retro11s
I find it very hard to believe that dealer plates would allow an FXX to be driven on public streets anywhere in the US. I remember when Porsche released the 959 and Bill Gates got one. They had not passed the crash tests for US approval and he tried to get it done with computer simulation. They would not accept it and the car (as other 959s in the US) have been relegated to a garage (or museums).

My guess would be that the administration (DOT?) that looks after allowing the car to be imported would require some sort of documentation indicating the car is intended for off road use (ie, racing) only or would be brought into compliance with US rules and regulations within a specific period of time.

And does anyone know about pollution controls on the car? Or crash test worthiness? Would it pass US rules and regulations for these two items?

Just a couple of thoughts on being able to drive one on the street....
The bottom line is this:

Any vheicle that is in the country, CAN be transported under it's own power on the public road if displaying temp/dealer/manufacturer tags.

Once the vehicle is in the country in private hands, one can assune that the problems of getting the car through customs/DOT etc inspection has been over come.

There is no debate that a temp/dealer tag will not qualify as "correct doumentation" to allow importation of said vehicle - but these are 12 totally seperate issues.