Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 07-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by dons5 View Post
360 spyder pics to a certain extent can get a little boring nowadays, yet when I saw one parked last night I was there for 10 minutes in awe admiring its shape from every angle and couldnt believe how exotic and new it still looks, it looks like a new car, the 360 came out in 1999! Thats a 10 year old body style!!!!!! There was a db9 beside it and a brand new jag xk, while the Aston is obviously beautiful, it doesnt compare to the 10 year old body of the 360 spyder, just so much more exoticness and sexy. Of course the DB9 is very beautiful, but I cant look at it for 10 mins from every angle without eventually getting "used to it", the 360 even as I was walking away after admiring it for 10 mins, I would turn around to look back at it and still couldnt hold in the smile/laugh, the shape stays exciting no matter how long you look at it for.
I'll have to disagree and agree. A new Ferrari is an occasion, but these new Ferraris just aren't doing anything for me. The 360 and the 550 and the 456 aren't touted as design icons, nor do I think that people think of them as memorable, but I like them a lot more than any of the new Ferraris. The point I'm trying to make is that Ferrari designs haven't been successful automatically because they were Ferraris, but because Pininfarina actually did design cars very carefully, with classic proportions. Not ostentatious or shouty, but proper. Now days, Ferraris look crass with unusual proportions and intriguing yet frankly unattractive adornments that seem to be more for novelty than anything else. I'm sure they're very functional too seeing how it's Ferrari.

It's interesting that you "get used to" a DB9. It's one of those cars that make me appreciate its design more and more as I stare at it. It's a GT done right. Everything looks effortlessly perfect. Classic example of how a luxury car should look. Strong stance, simple yet effective outline, with few detailed adornments. I think the same way about the 360. I think that's why it looks so good. The F430 look like a 360 with too much makeup on (which in a way, it is). The 612 is just bizarre, and the 599 is hideous. And California, in a way, reminds me of the Mondial cabrio.

Originally Posted by dons5 View Post
I remeber when looking at photos of the Enzo when new, wow I was like what in the hell is that shit. Have you ever seen it in real life??? lolol wow the thing is STUNNING x10000, Keonegsegs, Ascaris, Veyrons, Carrera GT, Merc SLR, Gumbert Apollo, SSC Ultimate Aero, etc etc. Nothing can compare to an Enzo when it comes to pure style and exoticness, except possibly a Zonda, but even that has all the big wings and wild over the top styling cues where the Enzo is just more pure. Oh ya, and it came out in 01 or 02, its 7 or 8 years old!

This routine happens all the time with every new Ferrari just get used to it.
I was really excited when the Enzo came out. I went to the LA auto show, went into the Ferrari booth and saw it, took a picture with it etc... Then I got to see it more times, and frankly, it's an ugly car. Interesting? Yes. Technically brilliant? Yes. Pretty? No. It's not remotely attractive in my eyes. The shape is really interesting. The cutlines are pretty elaborate. All the panels, I'm sure, are very functional. But everything's so wrong. The proportion's hideous. So much front overhang. The doors are massive and unwieldy. The surfaces are pretty flat and uninteresting by themselves. The car seems to have been designed purely on aerodynamic experimentation rather than any sense of aesthetics.

I'd say, for an identical car, the MC12 looks much better, if not overadorned. At least they bothered to stretch the rear end out to balance the front overhang. It's funny that you mentioned the Carrera GT, because I was just thinking this morning that Carrera GT is possibly the "prettiest" car out of the group. It's got everything right, yet because it hasn't got a visual gimmick, it's apparently the most forgettable.

BTW, the Zonda and the Koenigsegg's designs are much older than the Enzo. They're actually from the 90's.

No doubt the new Ferrari will be highly reviewed, and sought after. The real question is, do people buy new Ferraris because they are plain beautiful anymore?
Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #17
Mattk
Regular User

It caught my eye when I was reading the Saturday paper earlier today, but I can't say it did much else. But, as everyone else has said, we haven't seen it in the metal yet, so there's much to look forward to.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:02 AM   #18
dons5
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
I was really excited when the Enzo came out. I went to the LA auto show, went into the Ferrari booth and saw it, took a picture with it etc... Then I got to see it more times, and frankly, it's an ugly car. Interesting? Yes. Technically brilliant? Yes. Pretty? No. It's not remotely attractive in my eyes. The shape is really interesting. The cutlines are pretty elaborate. All the panels, I'm sure, are very functional. But everything's so wrong. The proportion's hideous. So much front overhang. The doors are massive and unwieldy. The surfaces are pretty flat and uninteresting by themselves. The car seems to have been designed purely on aerodynamic experimentation rather than any sense of aesthetics.

I'd say, for an identical car, the MC12 looks much better, if not overadorned. At least they bothered to stretch the rear end out to balance the front overhang. It's funny that you mentioned the Carrera GT, because I was just thinking this morning that Carrera GT is possibly the "prettiest" car out of the group. It's got everything right, yet because it hasn't got a visual gimmick, it's apparently the most forgettable.
I dunno I think the Enzo looks bette rthan the Maserati MC12 and at the same time looks just as, if not more "right" and proportioned then the mc12. I was staring at an mc12 maybe 2 or 3 years ago, and yes its definetely up there, but its no enzo. The long and super duper low front overhang and nose of the enzo perfectly matches the long flattish rear. I hate the cars these days comming out with boxed and big looking flattened out front ends, the enzos is super low and thin, like most cars used to be until around the early 2000's ( i think it has something to do with pedestrian frontal impact safety laws or something). I cant explain it, the enzo is just perfect to me.

I saw a carrera GT downtown maybe 2 summers ago, beautiful, gorgeous etc I had to go around the block, park and walk to it to look at it for like i dunno 15 or so mins. But after that I was like ok ya its freakin beautiful but time to go now (although i had to do a quick final drive by before going home lol), but it just wasnt exotic enough like a "hypercar" should be. The Enzo, i just couldnt believe it, the Carrera GT was like oh my fuckin god that thing is sooooooooo fuckin NICE!!, but the Enzo was just like, hoooolllllyyyyyyyyyyyy fuuuccccckkkkkkkkkk, wow, omg, holy shit, wow, wow and you can never get over it lol.

Im rambling on and all this is pointless cause everyone has there own oppinions, but the Carrera GT looked too similiar in real life as it does in pics and vids (same with the Audi R8), so I was SLIGHTLY just SLIGHTLY TINY bit disapointed when i saw it for the first time in person. When I saw the Enzo though in real life, it just blew me away, i was speechless, literally.

I think Tiff Needel on 5th Gear said the same thing in a really old review, says something like "looks akward and funny in pics, kinda ugly. Then you see it in person and its just stunning".

In your defence though, i remember an article maybe 1-2 years after the Enzo came out where Ferrari themselves stated if they had the same tech as they had at that time back when they made the Enzo, they could have made it more beautiful. So I guess even Ferrari agree they werent satisfied with it truly 100%, looks wise.

Last edited by dons5; 08-01-2009 at 06:09 AM.
dons5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
RC45
Regular User

One of the ugliest most mixed up looking Ferraris of the modern era.

The 355, F40 and 550/575 where the last great looking Ferraris of their respective ranges - everything since then has been getting steadily worse and worse.

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
No doubt the new Ferrari will be highly reviewed, and sought after. The real question is, do people buy new Ferraris because they are plain beautiful anymore?
Few new F-cars purchased today are because of the engineering or design - they are just the appropiate status symbol of the time.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #20
gigdy
Regular User

Id still let it impregnate me.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
numerouno
Regular User

Wow! the updated images make it look even better for me! A definite calssic to be in the near future!

Last edited by numerouno; 08-27-2009 at 07:56 PM.
numerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #22
5vz-fe
Regular User

Thanks for the hi-res photos numerouno

The front of the car doesn't look like Ferrari. I esp hated it being double badged (the lower one on the front air vent is very out of place)

The way it channel air into the engine is quite nicely done tho. I don't like the dual single tail lamp design, make it looks like a frog.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 AM   #23
5vz-fe
Regular User

^A pretty low budget production film by Ferrari standard. and the music......

That said, the aero engineering is quite amazing
Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

http://speciali.ferrari.com/458italia/index_en.html

the Performance tab is online today
Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #25
loliea
Regular User

The front looks like a Citroen concept car... but I like it so far.

loliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #26
admcewen
Regular User

Just found more Hi res ones!!

http://www.netcarshow.com/ferrari/2011-458_italia/
admcewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #27
fireguy
Regular User

here is the first official video by ferrari......it's a nice one too!

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #28
hemi_fan
Regular User

very nice! I see they haven't lost their ability to make music out of gasoline and metal.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #29
nthfinity
Regular User

"filmed by Alexander Paul"

Well, I already liked this car... now I'm bursting with anticipation
Old 09-17-2009, 05:15 AM   #30
MidEngine4Life
Regular User