Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 08-25-2003, 10:30 AM   #1
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Default American Motorsports very cheap these days???

I didnt really know what to put down in the subject space. What I see is that CART, ALMS, Trans Am, race on cheaply prepared race tracks. I was watching ALMS at Road America yesterday, and the track looked dirty as hell, the track it self is all marked up with some shit stains, and grass and the gravel traps look like shit, what happend??? Same goes for CART, the tracks look cheap.

Take a look at F1, all the tracks look like they have just been build. Look at FIA GT, same thing tracks are polished out.

Nascar tracks on the other hand look as good as F1 tracks, but all the GT tracks look like shit, whats the story behind that???

In trans am they have a locked rear differential because teams spend to much money on setting up their limited slip diffs, thats justs cheap. The next day cars wont have bloody dampers or springs and will be fitted with automatics so the teams wont have to spend money on the cars setups iether. That is just pure cheap.

Do ALMS and CART have such low budgets? Or someone is just pocketing the money?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:25 PM   #2
666fast
Regular User

I know what you mean that they look cheap. Road America is one awesome place, it's huge if you have never been there.
ALMS and Cart wouldn't be the ones poceting the money. it would be the tracks.
When ALMS or CART wants to race at a certain track, that track pays them. Tracks make all their money off of ticket and merchandise sales. Of course CART or ALMS takes a percentage of that too.
It's been damn hot lately around here, maybe that is why Road America looked cheap. It looked fine when I was there.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:41 PM   #3
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
.It's been damn hot lately around here, maybe that is why Road America looked cheap. It looked fine when I was there.

Maybe the weather is the issue. I remember watching ALMS last year at Laguna Seca, and the track looked great, really clean all over, top stuff, but this year most of the tracks look a bit cheap.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 02:45 PM   #4
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Originally Posted by 666fast
.It's been damn hot lately around here, maybe that is why Road America looked cheap. It looked fine when I was there.

Maybe the weather is the issue. I remember watching ALMS last year at Laguna Seca, and the track looked great, really clean all over, top stuff, but this year most of the tracks look a bit cheap.
That would be my guess. Going from one extreme to another (summer to winter) year after year will wreck roads.
Like I said before, if the tracks were a problem, they woulnd't be racing there as the drivers and teams would complain.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:40 PM   #5
stracing
Regular User

don't forget f1 tracks are approved by the fia. if it looks shit and most important an endagerment to drivers they tell the track owners to improve or fuck off. thats why silverstone has been under fire lately. i haven't been but from pictures its horrible. plus f1 has the flexibility of track selection.

did you watch the montreal round? looked really nice didn't it?

cart is very much limited to north and central america and its hard for them to go around the world in search for the best tracks. especially in their financial situation. i'm sure they would like to go racing at spa or monza but the sponsors don't like that because the majority of sponsors only have their products in america. thats another reason big names switched to irl coz only one round was overseas and rest were in america. so maybe the tracks owners are poor and can't give the best facilities. but they have no choice but to use them

i wouldn't really blame it on the whether. germany and hungary were pretty hot and they managed.

i really like cart, at one stage thought it was better than f1 but now all the big names are gone. now i watch when its a coicindence that i'm in front of the tv.
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 10:57 PM   #6
666fast
Regular User

i wouldn't really blame it on the whether. germany and hungary were pretty hot and they managed.
But does it go from 100 degrees to 40 degrees below zero on a yearly basis?
The weather most certainly can have an effect on the track conditions. Hell, they are always patching up roads here that crack because of the winter.

F1 has very high standards when it comes to race tracks. Which I think is good, not only for the drivers, but for the fans as well.

Cart and IRL are in dire straights, they both need to get their shit together or both series are gonna die. Which doesn't matter much to me, watching them go in circles for 3 hours bores the hell out of me!

Check out the Infineon raceway (used to be Sears Point), they just repaved it and it looks excellent.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:35 PM   #7
stracing
Regular User

i'm sure europe experiences the same whether patterns as america

well blame tony george, he's the one who screwed things up
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote