Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #16
sentra_dude

Wow, this is quite a quote:

The legacy
It is hard for you and I and even his fellow drivers to understand the mentality of a great champion like Schumacher. They see the world differently. My insight into it comes principally from something Nigel Mansell told me about Senna.

On the podium in Budapest in 1992, when Mansell had finally won the world championship, Senna came up to him and said, ‘Well done Nigel. Now you understand why I am such a bastard. It is because I never want anyone else to have the feeling that you have now.’

Mansell said it made his blood run cold when he heard that. He was a sportsman, a racer, but not cut from the same cloth as Senna and Schumacher.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:09 AM   #17
black_magician
Regular User

hey guys, I have a recording of the speech and I'll have it uploaded in a few hours. kinda sad though.
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:22 AM   #18
black_magician
Regular User

here it is.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dzlbd1
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:27 AM   #19
Mattk
Regular User

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/columnis...869561,00.html
This guy isn't impressed.

Nevertheless, Schumacher was a great driver, clearly the best of his time, and one of the all-time greats. His departure will be a loss to motorsport.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:22 AM   #20
Regular User

Is it a loss? I don't think so. He beated everybody, he has all the records on his name. I will always remember him as the best driver in the world. And I think it is time for a new generation of drivers, a new generation of heroes. There are so many great talents out there, Raiikonen, Alonso and also the new ones; look at Kubica, he drove the best race BMW did all year, Nico Rosberg, and some new ones are coming, Lewis Hamilton!

It's time for new heroes...
03200165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:25 AM   #21
TopGearNL
Regular User

Thanks, he deserves a tribute, he's up there with the best
Old 09-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #22
Mattk
Regular User

I think it's a loss, at least in the short-term. He had a huge number of fans, and his pulling power really made F1 popular. Sure, new heroes will come up, but it'll take awhile before they can match the cult of Michael Schumacher.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #23
nthfinity
Regular User

it's amazing, that Micheal Schumacher came such little time after Stephan Bellof... we never know when the next great champion will arise...

but I can honestly say, I don't think he is in F1 right now, nor any of the other motorsports I follow.

I am glad to have seen him on the track doing what he has always done best. He has been like no other driver before; and while time obsucres talent.. His name is right up there with Juan Manuel Fangio, Aryton Senna, Alain Prost, Nikki Lauda, Alberto Ascari.... and well..... possibly on top of them...
Old 09-12-2006, 01:06 AM   #24
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I think Schumacher is to F1 what Michael Jordan is to Basketball.

There are stars out there with talent, sure. but none of them have that flair that these legends brought to their respective sports.

Basketball is still looking for someone to captivate the fans the way Jordan did, and F1 is going to be in the same position.

Sure, Alonso was on fire early on in the season, but he's cooling off now, and that's not going to help him achieve anything. And his reputation now is split as it is.

Kubica is up and coming and has been turning heads all year. And really, he may be entering at just the right time. The only thing that remains to be seen is wether or not he can captivate people the way Michael has. My guess is no.

Kimi, hewouldbeablethelikelycandidateifitwasn'tforthefac tthathispressconfrencesallsoundedlikethis.

the list goes on, but the fact is, we may be waiting for a long time before someone steps into his shoes and tries to fill them.

which kinda sucks, because it's not as if he blindsided everyone with this announcement. I think everyone saw it coming :bah:

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:35 AM   #25
Mattk
Regular User

which kinda sucks, because it's not as if he blindsided everyone with this announcement. I think everyone saw it coming
Yeah, it was pretty much expected that he was going to announce retirement after Monza.

There are stars out there with talent, sure. but none of them have that flair that these legends brought to their respective sports.
Spot on. Schumacher had the X-factor which encaptivated the world. No-one else in F1 has that now.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:47 AM   #26
novass
Regular User

Unfortunate that he is retiring but it had to happen at some point. Schumi will always have his place in F1 and he has surely left his mark.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #27
sameerrao
Regular User

Murray Walker on Michael Schumacher:
Murray sad to see 'genius' go
Murray Walker admitted he was sad to see Michael Schumacher announce his retirement following the Italian Grand Prix – but is glad the “genius” can quit on a high.

The former ITV Sport commentator paid a glowing tribute to the seven-time champion following Schumacher’s emotional confirmation that he was to retire at the end of the season.

Walker commentated on the first decade of the Ferrari ace’s incredible career and is pleased that the great man can leave Formula 1 at the peak of his powers with his place in history assured.

“I’m sad to see the end of an era because this is one of the truly greatest drivers of all time that we’re going to look back at, like I look back at [Juan Manuel] Fangio, and talk about for a long time to come,” he told ITV Sport’s Steve Rider.

“But he’s broken every record in the book, he’s got a few quid in the bank, he’s got a loving wife and two kids, some lovely homes, he’s got the rest of his life in front of him – I think he’s done the right thing but it’s going to be very, very difficult for him to replace in his life what Formula 1 has done for him.

“He’s been a wonderful ambassador for the sport and as I say I’m sad to see him go, but all good things come to an end.

“The man is a genius, he continues to be a genius and I think he’s done exactly the right thing to go out on the very highest note.”

And Walker also believes that the controversy that has dogged much of Schumacher’s 16 seasons in the sport will not overshadow a career packed full of record-breaking achievements.

“He’s done a few tough, hard things in his life – Damon Hill ’94, Jacques Villeneuve ’97 immediately spring to mind,” he said.

“Maybe stopping in the qualifying at Monaco wasn’t the wisest thing he ever did.

“But you have got to have a streak of ruthlessness to get to the top in Formula 1.

“He’s certainly got it and I don’t think it’s going to diminish his reputation long term – it’s going to be bright and shining as far as I’m concerned anyway.”
Great tribute! I really miss Murray and his enthusiastic commentary ...

And Villenueve seems to think Michael will be forgotten quickly ... what a doofus

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #28
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

I wish he stayed just one more year, I cant believe that Ferrari bosses pushed his out!!! I cant!! It would of been great to seek Schumie and Kimi together for 1season. Then Schumie could of retired.

Massa hasnt done enough to impress me this season, he did win, but it was more car then him, he couldnt even get past Kubica in Monza!!!

I want to start the Bring back Schumie in 2008 club
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #29
5vz-fe
Regular User

It seems like that stinker mouth of Alonso never closes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/5339006.stm

"No one is going to believe the penalty I was given for a long time to come," Alonso said.

"The excuse they gave was far from honest. It isn't good for our sport."
Old 09-13-2006, 03:13 AM   #30
Mattk
Regular User

I really miss Murray and his enthusiastic commentary ...
And his goofs.

Massa hasnt done enough to impress me this season, he did win, but it was more car then him, he couldnt even get past Kubica in Monza!!!
That's not saying anything about how fast Kubica is. Any driver would have had difficulty with passing Kubica. Bear in mind Massa is not remarkably experienced in F1. He's got promise.