Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Music And Noise

Music And Noise This is where to discuss you favourite Artists, Bands and own Music

Old 01-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #16
unwilling
Regular User

Also, with drum sets, as with any other instrument, at any price level there are numerous different brands with multiple options. It comes down to personal choice, with a few exceptions. In general, both Ludwig and Yamaha have great sets.
unwilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #17
Mers
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
cool thanks, would it be cheaper to just build one from nothing, just piece it together?
No chance in hell...

You're paying for premium asian workload when buying these drums (ok not that premium)...

For you to build one, it would mean buying shells, lugs(little metal things that hold the hoops), hoops, skins, lacquer oil or wrap finish, hardware, plus a whole bunch of hardware tools to cut snare beds, drill holes in shells etc...

Probably end up about 1300 dollars... No shitting..
Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #18
TNT
Regular User

but going back to the Pulse or PDP sets, what is wrong with them? sounds? quality (fall apart, poor build, etc)?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #19
Mers
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
but going back to the Pulse or PDP sets, what is wrong with them? sounds? quality (fall apart, poor build, etc)?
Here's the thing.... The kits at the price range you are looking to buy, are basically Generic kits, made somewhere in east asia, from a huge storeroom full of poor wood shells (basswood usually...).. They are simply money makers for the companies, who stick them with their Lugs and badges, and charge a price premium on the name, mostly. Comparing the pulse and pdp is like comparing a to a... They're basically the same, except the pdp drums have a better known brand, and different hardware, doing the exact same job...no improvement. This not really mattering since they are basically made by the same companies. It's the same with a plethora of entry level kits. Corporate greed's everywhere. Both pdp and pulse probably have better drums (pdp I know for a fact they do) made in a better way, and with more finishing options etc.

The ludwigs, however, are just about a notch above. Those Tama's as well i believe. They maintain their own factories in east asia (taiwan and china mostly), where the wood shells go through a better process of selection... it's like the good basswood or asian mahogany shells are sent to them, and the bad ones, to the pulse etc type companies, for their most simple entry level drums. They manufacture their own, better quality hardware, and usually fit heads that tune properly on their drums. So they sell a little more expensive, but are usually better. The Accent is a surprisingly good sounding kit, and consistently so, too. The Tamas probably sound even better, but in your case, the ludwig + zildjian combo is a great deal.

So, what suffers with the bad shell, hardware and heads on the pdp and pulse models? Well, the sound coming out of your drums consists of a combination of Head vibration, and Hoop and Shell resonance. You can imagine what a shitty shell will sound like, compared to a nicer one. you can further imagine what a drumhead that limits its vibrations due to poor quality will help in making the shell sound better, And finally you can imagine how lugs and hoops which cannot hold tension helps with keeping the heads tense enough to vibrate.....

That's basically it.. But like I said, if you just want to play around with the idea, bash some anger on the drums, then put them aside without worrying to take care of them, or continue to pursue a carreer in music, they'll do fine.

If you do want to take it seriously, though, I'd say this:

Never mind buying a set now. All you need is a pair of sticks, a Practice pad, and a decent teacher. The first two items will probably cost you about 35 dollars total. With the other 365 dollars left from not getting a drumset, you'll be able to pay for about 3 months of lessons, enough to either make you hit or miss (pun intended). In a decent music school, you should have a whole set to practice, and with your practice pad, you'll be able to practice the absolute essentials you'd have to learn anyways, before you could express yourself around the kit without being embarassed.

Hope this clarifys some doubts...sorry about the small essay, but it'll help anyone else who wants to start playing the drums, and just happens to pass by...
Old 01-19-2007, 02:00 AM   #20
TNT
Regular User

yeah that helps a lot, and as of right now it is kind of just a play it once in a well, and learn some basics. I am not to worried about the sound quality per-say as of yet. but i am more or less worried about how they will hold up during play. Although i will take of care my drums. but with my skill level i am kind of worried about paying to much and not having time to use the set like i feel it should. that is why i am looking at the cheap entry sets b/c I wouldn't worry to much if i let them sit for a week or more without me touching them.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #21
Mers
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
yeah that helps a lot, and as of right now it is kind of just a play it once in a well, and learn some basics. I am not to worried about the sound quality per-say as of yet. but i am more or less worried about how they will hold up during play. Although i will take of care my drums. but with my skill level i am kind of worried about paying to much and not having time to use the set like i feel it should. that is why i am looking at the cheap entry sets b/c I wouldn't worry to much if i let them sit for a week or more without me touching them.
They can sit for years without you touching them...as long as they are in a relatively dry environment and hoops on... Because they aren't so good, you needn't worry about the finish or anything too special, because they're a beat em up kit, anyways...
Old 01-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
TNT
Regular User

^^^ that is kind of what i am looking for, something to just listen to music and attemp to play along and maybe hold a beat when my friend comes over.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #23
Mers
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
^^^ that is kind of what i am looking for, something to just listen to music and attemp to play along and maybe hold a beat when my friend comes over.

Then get the ludwigs
Old 01-19-2007, 07:10 PM   #24
TNT
Regular User

Is DDrum a good brand?
Old 01-20-2007, 01:19 AM   #25
Mers
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
Is DDrum a good brand?
I think it's swedish....and it's mostly for electronic drumkits....

at least that's the ddrum i've seen...