Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 07-18-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
666fast
Regular User

Default Earnhardts not so spectacular ALMS debut

Earnhardt Suffers "Moderate" Burns at Sonoma
Written by: Ben Blake
Sonoma, Calif. – 7/18/2004
Dale Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR's biggest star, suffered what were described as "moderate" burns as a reslt of a fiery crash during practice for the Grand Prix of Sonoma (ALMS) at Infineon (Sears Point) Raceway. Earnhardt was taken by helicopter to a hospital in Sacramento, for precautionary reasons.

Earnhardt, taking a week from from the NASCAR grind, who had planned to team with road-racing veteran Boris Said in a factory Corvette CR5 for Sunday's race, spun and hit a barrier in Turn 8, the car then catching fire. Earnhardt was able to get out of the car on his own and was assisted by safety workers.

Earnhardt suffered "moderate-sized burns of moderate intensity" on his face and legs, team sources said. It was not reported whether he would be kept at the hospital, or for how long.

The team withdrew the car from the race after the crash.

Earnhardt has expressed desire to drive in other series from time to time, and he has run the Corvettes at Daytona in prior Rolex races. With NASCAR off this week, Junior had accepted an opportunity to drive at Sonoma.

It is likely the DEI NASCAR team and sponsor Budweiser will not take this event lightly, as Junior is one of the sport's most valuable properties.

We will have details as they are reported.
I saw it on TV and it was pretty damn scarey. They had just gone out for practice, so cold track and stone cold tires. He spun the wheels and stuffed the car into the wall. It broke the fuel cell filler neck, so after sliding a little ways down the track, the car just burst into flames. They showed an incar cam of it, the flames were literally surrounding him.

The part that really sucks about this is the Budwieser and DEI Nascar sponsers, I suppose thise means no more cross series racing. he could have provided the exposure the ALMS deserves. He's also quite a good driver. Sucks how a simple mistake could cost so much.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
666fast
Regular User

A picture of the fire:

Old 07-18-2004, 07:33 PM   #3
T-Bird
Regular User

yeah i saw the video of the whole thing it looked pretty scary they showed the under car camera and you could see the fuel tank blow out and cover the underside of the car.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
SPAD
Regular User

I dunno if this is gunna end his chances of racing other in other series,these things happed in racing and he was fine in the end.He is gunna race nex race so all is good.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:29 PM   #5
Max Power

Well I thought these cars were a lot safer than this......

...too bad for CBS, they ended up hosting a useless race that I figure nobody cared for
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:01 AM   #6
chipanggo
Regular User

oh man. i just saw this last night on cnn. that was some scary stuff. i'm glad to hear that he's ok.
chipanggo is offline   Reply With Quote