Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #16
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

The Phillippines never directly went to war with the United States.. but they did fight try to fight them off.

The Spanish-American war was the US vs. Spanish rule over the Philippines.

The reason the PI is a "US testicle licker" is because the US took over the Philippines and left them high and dry.. the PI has no one else to ask favors from.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #17
Mattk
Regular User

I thought the Spanish-American War was over the sinking of the Maine. Which occured in Cuba. In fact, in a speech McKinley gave to some clergymen, he said that initially, he didn't quite know what to do with the Philippines. He then just thought it was his God-given duty to go in and civilise them.

Basically, the American troops rocked up and faced a somewhat terse stand-off with the Filipino troops. One day, a Filipino soldier walked towards the American line, where he was promptly shot, resulting in a bloody and long war, which the Americans won, in the process losing all desire for war until George W. Bush came along.

Nobody calls the Philippines the "PI" anymore. The Philippine Islands was the term used only during colonial times.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:33 AM   #18
evoWalo
Regular User

guys it's going way off topic. if you wanna continue maybe joining this http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=667182#667182 would be better?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #19
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
The Phillippines never directly went to war with the United States.. but they did fight try to fight them off.

The Spanish-American war was the US vs. Spanish rule over the Philippines.

The reason the PI is a "US testicle licker" is because the US took over the Philippines and left them high and dry.. the PI has no one else to ask favors from.
Strange as I'm starting to think that this was taught in the west but not in our very own country.

IIRC, what we were told was that the USA bought the Philippines for an amount close to about $200,000 (which was supposed to be huge during that time). I really don't recall any Phil-American wars though. Maybe a few small rebellions and uprisings here and there, but definitely not a war on a national scale.

I mean, I don't think the Philippine Gov't ever went to war with anyone. They slept with the Spaniards, then when ownership went to the USA, they did the same (hence much of the land here belonging to US companies), then when Japan invaded the Philippines and the USA vowed to "be back", the Philippine Gov't made deals with the Japanese, and then finally, when the USA came back and shoo-ed the Japanese away, the Philippine Gov't started kissing their asses again.

Cocksuckers. Seriously.
Sir_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #20
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

ok, I guess only the extremists in the philippines at the time like to call it a full out War, but of course the Filipinos never had the resources to make it a War..

In my opinion the Philippines has become a whore of the world. Of course its hard and sad for me to say that, especially because my parents were born there and I have great respect for that land.

There was this great book my sister gave me for a paper I was writing 3 years ago. It was a book full of literature and art of all sorts from Filipinos in that era. I'll have to get the name again..

Oh, and all the crap that's coming out of my mouth was never taught over here. Barely any talk about the Philippines at all and maybe a little paragraph in one chapter about the Spanish-American war..
Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #21
jamberl
Regular User

That was amazing. Thanks heaps for the post.