Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

View Poll Results: Would you take an Elise instead of a Z4 or the new SLK?
Lotus Elise S2 US-spec 26 86.67%
BMW Z4 3.0 4 13.33%
Mercedes Benz SLK- neu 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Lotus Elise in America

At Los Angeles Autoshow in the Concourse Hall, Lotus joined the likes of Lamborghini and Bentley as usual. I seemed that the Lotus attracted more attention than Lambo, Saleen, or even Brabus. Why? The Lotus Elise is going to be on sale very very soon.

Lotus is still very anonymous with the new generation (the one i'm in). Elise hopefully will change all that.

The US spec Elise will be like the UK S-versions with the new Exige engine.

I asked some questions to a Lotus USA spokesperson.
-The S2 Exige WILL hit US shores about next year.
-The Esprit replacement will also join rest of US line about a year after.

I seriously want to see more Lotus on the street. I saw only one Lotus on the road and it was a V8 Esprit.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:37 PM   #2
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

I´d take the bimmer..of course you can have more fun in the elise, I see the elise as a weekend toy...and the bimmer is more of a car and you can have lots of fun in the Z4 too...I also really dig the looks on the Z4...

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
Copso
Regular User

It's great that this new version of the Elise wiil go on sale in the US. Lotus has just entered the mexican market as well, but the bad news is that we will not have the US version with the 180 Bhp Toyota engine and its great 6-speed transmission, but instead we will get the standard K series 1.8 liter engine from Rover mated to a 5-speed trannie on the Elise 111s and Elise R.

Anyhow, I would love to get a new US-spec Elise for my garage

"I disagree to Voltaire's idea about the right of every single person to express anything... There are certain opinions that should be censored out of sheer stupidity" ----> Fernando Savater
Copso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
Copso
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
is that your TT in your avatar, Copso?

i approve!
Yep, that's my baby... long hours of good effort and it looks like that
Don't know why the rest of the pics are not showing in the bottom of my posts along with my signature, but anyhow, more pics of my car:
http://copso.netfirms.com/audittcopso.jpg

"I disagree to Voltaire's idea about the right of every single person to express anything... There are certain opinions that should be censored out of sheer stupidity" ----> Fernando Savater
Old 01-14-2004, 08:54 PM   #5
mrzonda
Regular User

If they're similar in price, and since I live in Canada I'd buy a Z4. I can't seem to find the roads that an Elise is meant to be enjoyed on. Also, why are we comparing a Z4 and an SLK with a Elise? They're totally different cars aimed at totally different markets, in my opinion.
mrzonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:00 PM   #6
Copso
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
nice copso! you can see mine in my signature...black 225 coupe.

you have the ALMS wheels? is that an ALMS edition?

i usually go to the www.audiworld.com TT forums...alot of people who know their stuff there.
Yes, it's a 2002 Coupe Quattro "Special LeMans Edition" in Misano Red (well, at least that's what the invoice said I bought) LOL
I've made some mods on it too, nothing really fancy, but it goes fast and handles unbelievably well...

Regarding the main issue, I agree with you that the Lotus Elise would serve only as a weekend toy, I'm 6'1'' and I plainly wouldn't fit with another person in an Elise, not to mention it has no space to carry its hard top and lacks almost all the amenities normally found on other cars.

Old 01-14-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
snacky
Regular User

are you kidding?! is it even close? an elise would leave the Z4 and slk in its wake!!!

you gotta see that BEST MOTORING video of the exige (racing elise) taking on a porsche GT3, 360 modena, and evo8. the lotus positively out breaks them all. it doesn't like long straights though with only 190 bhp.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:08 PM   #8
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Also, why are we comparing a Z4 and an SLK with a Elise? They're totally different cars aimed at totally different markets, in my opinion.
Yes MrZonda, they are in different market, but considering the price and the body type...also in America, there is actually nothing that compares with an Elise or any lightweight fun roadster (not MX-5 or S2000 kind) or a road-legal track machine.

Elise will hopefully fill in that empty niche

also Snacky? Elise is slower than Z4 and SLK by specs alone
Old 01-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #9
zevolv
Regular User

I would definitely take an Elise over a Z4 or an SLK I'd take a TT V6 over the SLK and Z4 also.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:18 PM   #10
Copso
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
Also, why are we comparing a Z4 and an SLK with a Elise? They're totally different cars aimed at totally different markets, in my opinion.
Yes MrZonda, they are in different market, but considering the price and the body type...also in America, there is actually nothing that compares with an Elise or any lightweight fun roadster (not MX-5 or S2000 kind) or a road-legal track machine.

Elise will hopefully fill in that empty niche

also Snacky? Elise is slower than Z4 and SLK by specs alone
What do you mean by "slower"?? Neither the Z4 or the SLK can match Elise's 0-60 (4.9 secs) or 1/4 mile (12.1 secs) times, not the handling and/or track performance... Maybe they could catch it in some Autobahn (top speed of US-Spec Elise=148Mph), but in a straight line competition or in a track either the Z4 or the SLK would not be a match for an Elise.

Old 01-14-2004, 09:20 PM   #11
HeilSvenska
Regular User

For those interested in the US-spec Elise,

The US-spec gets...
-Toyota 1796cc 190hp/138lb ft 4-cyl
-6 speed 'box
-Yokohama Advan Neova tires
-Exige style central exhaust
-Exige style rear vents above the diffuser
-Radio/CD player as standard

I also have the official Lotus USA Elise "brochure" (a single sheet of paper) i'll post it as soon as possible
Old 01-14-2004, 09:22 PM   #12
HeilSvenska
Regular User

What do you mean by "slower"?? Neither the Z4 or the SLK can match Elise's 0-60 (4.9 secs) or 1/4 mile (12.1 secs) times, not the handling and/or track performance... Maybe they could catch it in some Autobahn (top speed of US-Spec Elise=148Mph), but in a straight line competition or in a track either the Z4 or the SLK would not be a match for an Elise.
Yes you people are right. I was thinking about the UK series' max speed
Old 01-14-2004, 09:24 PM   #13
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I would definitely take an Elise over a Z4 or an SLK I'd take a TT V6 over the SLK and Z4 also
Yes i want the TT V6 only for the gearbox
Old 01-14-2004, 09:24 PM   #14
HeilSvenska
Regular User

i mean there are also other reasons for wanting TT
Old 01-14-2004, 09:27 PM   #15
nchs09

i dont care if i dont fit in an elise........ i would take one and have it. sure ull be a little unonftreble, but the car is superb. the looks, the power is great for the wheight of the car! im just inlove with that car!!!