Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #61
philip
Regular User

The Corvette and the Porsche essentiall tied timewise. The Porsche had semi racing tires, the Corvette I assume had street tires. If the Porsche had the tires it was sold with in Germany and they are street legal in Germany then the Porsche clearly won as the Corvette is in a higher displacement class than the Porsche. If the Porsche showed up with tires it did not come with, then the test was rigged in Porsches favor, so the test would need to be repeated.

To my knowlege at LeMans the GT3 Porsche has never beaten Corvette. I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong.

Porsche needs to get back into racing at the top level, rather than just dominating GT2. They seem to be too interested in selling SUV's to Americans at the moment.

As far as the interior is concerned, As long as the seats are supportive, I am happy. I generally perfer European interiors to American, but as far as luxury is concerned it is difficult to beat Bentley and Lexus. But I am not going to buy either of those brands. I dont buy cars based on the kind of interior they have.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #62
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ViperASR
I like the new Z06, however, I dont think that it is god like some people do.
I have never heard anyone claim the car is godlike.

It is not perfect.

It is cheap, fast as fucking hell, easy to maintian, cheap and easy to repair and a pleasure to drive 100% of the time.

That's not godlike - it is simply the best all rounder money can buy... because even if you spent 10 times as much, you still dont get a car that does everything this one can

That's what really pisses off the haters so much - there is no other car I can think of that does everything this one does for the price period.

Fuel consumption

Straight line performance

Track performance

Top speed

Braking

Luggage space

Long distance comfort

Weight

Interior room and comfort

Price

Anyone care to try offer a car that matches every one of these catagories?

Not bad for a supposedly badly made, dog slow, shit reliability and ugly over weight product.

Oh - and interesting the majority of haters don't even own or drive the competitors cars
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #63
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip
To my knowlege at LeMans the GT3 Porsche has never beaten Corvette. I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong.

Porsche needs to get back into racing at the top level, rather than just dominating GT2. They seem to be too interested in selling SUV's to Americans at the moment.

As far as the interior is concerned, As long as the seats are supportive, I am happy. I generally perfer European interiors to American, but as far as luxury is concerned it is difficult to beat Bentley and Lexus. But I am not going to buy either of those brands. I dont buy cars based on the kind of interior they have.
They compete in different classes - the Corvette is in GT2 while the Porsche in GT3 class.

They seem be involved in GT3 and LMP2 classes only. The GT3 class is nice in that there is a strong visual link between the race car and the road car. Thus from a marketing standpoint the mantra "race on Sunday and drive on Monday" is perhaps appropriate. Though from a performance standpoint a Porsche GT3 cup car is much faster than the top of the line Carrera GT.

This is far better than say Nascar where there is zero link between the Lumina roadcar and race car.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #64
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
This is far better than say Nascar where there is zero link between the Lumina roadcar and race car.
Or the Toyota Camry roadcar and the pushrod V8 race car
Old 01-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #65
sameerrao
Regular User

^ Yes.

They should call the series NADSCAR - National Association of Definitely not Stock Car Auto Racing

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 01-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #66
TopGearNL
Regular User

No, but what you get for your money (compared to others far less money) its and astonishing car! :shock:
Old 01-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #67
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
Originally Posted by TopGearNL
No, but what you get for your money (compared to others far less money) its and astonishing car! :shock:
Depends where you are in the world remember the vette are the cheapest in America, and by that alot of americans belive its the best car they can get for that money all over the world.....
That again is true!

The Vette is pretty expensive here, but compared to a Porsche GT3RS..
Old 01-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #68
TopGearNL
Regular User

Porsche GT3 RS is 186.250 EUR
Corvette C6 ZO6 is 114.950 EUR

So I know what I would buy, although I have a Porsche GT3RS as my sig because its one of my fav cars I'd still go for the Vette
Old 01-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #69
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by ViperASR
I have never heard anyone claim the car is godlike.

It is not perfect.

It is cheap, fast as fucking hell, easy to maintian, cheap and easy to repair and a pleasure to drive 100% of the time.

That's not godlike - it is simply the best all rounder money can buy... because even if you spent 10 times as much, you still dont get a car that does everything this one can

That's what really pisses off the haters so much - there is no other car I can think of that does everything this one does for the price period.

Fuel consumption

Straight line performance

Track performance

Top speed

Braking

Luggage space

Long distance comfort

Weight

Interior room and comfort

Price

Anyone care to try offer a car that matches every one of these catagories?

Not bad for a supposedly badly made, dog slow, shit reliability and ugly over weight product.

Oh - and interesting the majority of haters don't even own or drive the competitors cars
No car are the same so while some cars might beat the the vettes ass on some of your listed points they get their own asses beat on other points....since the vette aint (sadly for you) the car every one compare to....

I guess you put me in the lot of haters, but I aint in reality as you know I hail the vette on some points....
Jesus Christ dude.. no one ever said it is the BEST in every catagory.. or godlike - the comparison was "across the board - at any price". I feel like a physics teacher in a kindergarten

Answer the fucking question:

Name a car that is able to cover all those critteria.

Name just one.

The point is - if you only buy one car like many people end up doing - and you want that car to be the most fucking car it can be... name another one that fits all those cri-fucking-teria.

If anyone had unlimited budget - and some do - they buy one car to meet each cri-fucking-teria. If you are willing to compromise on performance and buy just one car you take something elese - but many don't want to compromise performance.

The point is again - What single car can be purchased new for the least amount of money, that uses the least gasoline on average, goes the fastest in a straight line, stops quicker, has a better track personality and has a higher top end, has more luggage space, a more comfortable interior, is cheaper to insure and is cheaper to repair - stock?

You are obviously a trillionaire and will have one of each car to meet your needs.

I, and many others (about 10,000 each year) aren't - so we purchase one car that does it all.

So again - please offer another car that does the same.

It's a simple question - answer it or GTFO.. yeah?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #70
philip
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Originally Posted by philip

They compete in different classes - the Corvette is in GT2 while the Porsche in GT3 class.

They seem be involved in GT3 and LMP2 classes only. The GT3 class is nice in that there is a strong visual link between the race car and the road car. Thus from a marketing standpoint the mantra "race on Sunday and drive on Monday" is perhaps appropriate. Though from a performance standpoint a Porsche GT3 cup car is much faster than the top of the line Carrera GT.

Just to keep everything straight. Le Mans classes, LMP1, LMP2, LMGT1,LMGT2. Porsche has not competed at LeMans yet with its LMP2 car. Porsche has dominated LMGT2 for almost ever. Corvette is faster and runs in LMGT1 and has dominated for a while. The Corvettes at LeMans are faster than the Porsches currently and for the last 5 or 6 years thats the way its been.

I agree for both Corvette and Porsche it has been "race on Sunday buy the car on Monday" as the cars they run resemble the cars you can buy.

At LeMans the Corvettes are faster than the Porsches. Audi is the fastest, but only with a prototype car.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #71
sameerrao
Regular User

Obviously it is faster because it is in a different class

Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 PM   #72
tforth
Regular User

I agree for both Corvette and Porsche it has been "race on Sunday buy the car on Monday" as the cars they run resemble the cars you can buy.

At LeMans the Corvettes are faster than the Porsches. Audi is the fastest, but only with a prototype car.
This sounds like sour grapes. As stated before, the class Porsche is running in currently, resembles the road cars much more closely than the class the Corvettes are competing in, just as the top class that audi has dominated, is much further removed from their road cars than the class the vettes run in. You're making it sound like the vettes are faster than Porsches, but audis success doesn't count, because there is some imaginary line that has been crossed.

Whatever argument you were trying to make, please take note that no car manufacturer has dominated Lemans more often than Porsche! Corvettes are very much 'easy come lately' in this regard.
tforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #73
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by tforth

This sounds like sour grapes. As stated before, the class Porsche is running in currently, resembles the road cars much more closely than the class the Corvettes are competing in, just as the top class that audi has dominated, is much further removed from their road cars than the class the vettes run in. You're making it sound like the vettes are faster than Porsches, but audis success doesn't count, because there is some imaginary line that has been crossed.

Whatever argument you were trying to make, please take note that no car manufacturer has dominated Lemans more often than Porsche! Corvettes are very much 'easy come lately' in this regard.
How about sticking to the facts on hand - the Corvette and the 911 are the subject of discussion, not prototypes.

Oh - and while you are spweing crap why not try explain away how come the C5 Z06 was able to dominate the SCCA racing classes it has run in?

Where were all the 911's ??
Old 01-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #74
nthfinity
Regular User

tforth, you do know that Vette is entering in GT3 racing this year, right? Then a more "direct" comparsion can be assertained

if comparing the two street cars isn't already good enough (both are great, the vette handles great, and goes fast, the RS handles slightly better, and goes quick; leading towared a remarkably similar lap time.

the what if?

what if the Vette had semi-slicks on similar to the RS just how much faster would the Z06 have been?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:33 AM   #75
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity

what if the Vette had semi-slicks on similar to the RS just how much faster would the Z06 have been?
He already said that counts for nought because the Z06 has a crap interior and is just a straight line piece of shit anyway...