Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche > Porsche Pictures and Videos

Old 11-18-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
Schwalbe

Default Stephan Bellof @ Porsche 956

"Stephan Bellof set the absolute record of the Track, driving his Porsche 956 in 6 min 11s .However, the track had been modified due to the construction of the F1 circuit. So figures can not be strictly compared with others, but anyway, it was the fastest lap on the Nordschleife ever."

(You have the choice to use left or right click)
:arrow: http://www.iki.his.se/~a04miccl/count/click.php?id=5 (5.52MB)
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

it was soooo disappointing that he crashed out so late in the game... he was well ahead in first place too. i think he lost it around Flugplatz.

he was an absolutely Brilliant driver, and perhaps could've been better then what MS is these days if he was a more level headed driver. this German seemed to have that latin spaz like Senna did.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:06 AM   #3
stradale
Regular User

Holy crap, I never realised he had to overtake other cars in that lap as well! Amazing...

But IMO the most disturbing thing about this video is that apparently the lap has been filmed, on board! Then where the hell is the footage of the complete lap? I want it!!!

About Stefan Bellof, Dan made the full Monaco GP of 1984 available on JW a long time ago. It is a race that most people remember for the stunning performance of Senna, threatening Prost's first position and overtaking many F1 stars in the wet streets of Monte Carlo. The other star of the race was Stefan Bellof, who IMHO showed even more spectacular driving.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:11 AM   #4
JoeHahn
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
About Stefan Bellof, Dan made the full Monaco GP of 1984 available on JW a long time ago. It is a race that most people remember for the stunning performance of Senna, threatening Prost's first position and overtaking many F1 stars in the wet streets of Monte Carlo. The other star of the race was Stefan Bellof, who IMHO showed even more spectacular driving.
That is so true, he was an enigma. He was ridiculously fast but he was a bit reckless. As a race commentator once said "Stefan Bellof - a good subtitute for a turbo!"
Old 11-19-2005, 04:26 AM   #5
stradale
Regular User

LOL! Nice quote!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:24 AM   #6
gucom
Regular User

than ks for the link, its great and as stradale said, i didnt know he had to overtake other cars too...amazing :shock:
Old 11-21-2005, 06:45 AM   #7
stmoritzer
Regular User

Thanks Schwalbe, nice find!

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

I´ve seen this video earlier before he was one of the biggest talents in germany - many said he was more talented than Michael Schumacher.
Too bad that Jackie Ichx killed him and didn´t even had the balls to commit that he didnt left him any space at the eau rouge.
i also think Bellof was more talented the Shumi... but definately more reackless.

as for Ickx killing him.... that isnt how it went down.

'there was a camera in Ickx's car and it was all recorded,'... 'four laps before the crash there was a pit stop for both cars. Ickx came out just before Bellof, and for four laps, Ickx was just ahead.
'bellof couldn't overtake him on the straight after Eau Rouge- thats normally the only place to overtake- but he couldnt get past him. So we watched it for four laps. The line Ickx took into Eau Rouge was exactly the same. We measured them [the split times] later with the computer, they were exctly the same. And it was the same on the lap when the crash happened.
'many people and journalists said that Ickx moved to teh left and blocked Bellof. that was not true. his line waas absolutely the same. he had to go to the left side, otherwise it was impossible to go through Eau Rouge, and Bellof was well, without a brain. he tried to go past Ickx on the little bit after the left hand curve. he was to the left of Icx' car and you could see the tire marks on the left side.'
'it was such a naive overtaking manoeuvre.' adds Derek Bell. 'you could not believe it.'
Bellofs 956 hit the outside barrier at an undiminished speed (some say more then 170mph/274kph).... Ickx struggled out and rushed to Bellof's aid...
It is my opinion that Stefan wanted to pass Jacky in front of everybody. He didn't want to pass him anywhere else. He wanted to pass the king of Spa there, so everybody could see it. I think that is what led to the accident.' -Klaus Bischoff[crew chief on the Bell/Bellof car in 83/84 and a close friend of the Bellof family]
Old 11-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
Schwalbe

^^^^Thanks nthfinity for your additional information about the death of Stefan Bellof.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
Schwalbe

Originally Posted by Phobo
I only know that the family of stefan bellof claimed Ickx for the this fatal accident.
This is a normal reaction in this kind of situation.