Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #16
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Originally Posted by pagani
Originally Posted by sameerrao
456s are quite cheap to buy in the US - the early ones are around $60K and the later ones are close to $90K. Some of the reasons are: 1) Elegant but sedate styling 2) 4 seater are not the usual thing Ferrari buyers are looking for.

Thus they are great bargains.

They are great GT cars with 190mph capabilities and decent rear seat room - better than a M3 for instance. I think there is something that can go wrong with the window units that cost a few thousand dollars to fix. Engine is pretty reliable like the 550 Maranello.
So i normal person can buy one and keep it on the road whit out to much problems.
Maybe or maybe not.

Purchasing cost: - The car is nearly fully depreciated - so you won't lose money when you get rid of it.

Maintenance cost: Could be Russian Roulette here - you either get a Toyota kind of reliability or a troublesome car. Need to do a proper inspection to figure out if something can go wrong - spend good money on this. The engine is understressed - so it shouldn't be an issue. The car had adjustable dampers - so potentially a troublesome area. Budget about $7-10K for 5 years of maintenance. Just dont get in accident - the bodywork is $$$$-$$$$$

Insurance - Check how much it costs. You might be pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't be surprised if it is cheaper than a new E420 MBZ.

So net-net if you have a 456 that is reasonably reliable and do not crash it, you would be financially better off over 5 years of ownership than if you bought a new M3 or S4 or Cayman for example. The depreciation in the latter cars will kill you.
So a ferrari 456 gt will be bulletproof money wise for the coming years?
8)
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote