Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-22-2007, 03:17 PM   #31
TNT
Regular User

but they never come out and say the mustang is a beat all end all car either.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #32
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by MidEngine4Life
Originally Posted by TNT
under-rated: mustangs (sorry but any car that can run for 40+ years is impressive)
"Now they've made this to look a bit like the 1960's mustang, but the problem is they drive a bit like the 1960's mustang...." ~Richard Hammond

"....Which actually drove like 1940's oxen carts" ~Jeremy Clarkson

"Why have they never sold mustangs here?......." ~Jeremy Clarkson

"......Well because they're rubbish" ~James May
People buy them because of their looks and heritage. They can be fast in a straight line, but other than that they're crap and I know first hand. Ive driven the last 3 generations and I watched a Mustang GT get destroyed by Miatas at Laguna Seca.
What about the cobra r version of the mustang??
I think you need to spend money on the suspension to make mustang go round corners but it can be done.
Here are some mustang's that go round corners
http://www.lateral-g.net/members/#Ford
Don't judge a book by it's cover.
8)
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #33
RC45
Regular User

BTW what exactly has this topic got to do with American Muscle - the title of this forum?

Nothing

This is a Car Chat topic and should be moved.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #34
graywolf624
Regular User

What about the cobra r version of the mustang??
I think you need to spend money on the suspension to make mustang go round corners but it can be done.
The cobra R isnt a great handling car either. It is a good handling car, but the mustang chasis has several inherent design flaws that can never be overcome. As a result the mustang will never be able to handle as well as say a bmw m3 or a vette with similar quality parts. The chasis has way more flex, weighs 100s of lbs more, is designed for solid rear axle, etc. Anyone who tracks a mustang, especially an sn95, will tell you straight up theyve bandaided a car.. That it isn't the best choice but rather the choice made with the heart. The t/as and camaros are inherently better track cars and even they are flawed beyond budget tracking.

In general the fbodies had a slightly better rear suspension design then the sn95, one that mustang took as their own for the most recent version. The design makes for decent cheap handling and is usually the first thing serious mustang trackers do (panhard rod swap).. but... and I say but.. it only makes the car good over smooth surfaces.. Hit a bump on the track and in either car your screwed. A miata, while underpowered, is an inherintly better track platform.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #35
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by FoxFour
Over-rated: Vector. Any specialty car based on an existing chassis like the Saleen, Roush or Steeda Mustang. DeLorean. The Bricklin.
Under-rated: Late-model Pontiac GTO. New Z06 Corvette. Chevy Cobalt SS.
Full-size Chevy, Ford or Chrysler turbo diesel truck. 1986-1987 Buick Grand National.
so now you've had experience with the Vector besides what you've read? I've had tremendous experience with a vast majority of the exotics out there, both from that era, and today... yet the Vector still stands out today... even if the design of the rear is unresolved.

The S7 wasn't an existing chassis... but the build quality just isn't there.
Why do you get your panties in a wad when I or someone else says what they feel about that car? Do you own one? Have I offended you in some personal way? I guess you had a Vector toy when you were little and you have some personal affinity with that car. This post asked for opinions and I gave mine. Notice that I give criticism to Ford products, as well as the Mustang, which is my on-going project car.
Please just let it go.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #36
TNT
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
BTW what exactly has this topic got to do with American Muscle - the title of this forum?

Nothing

it was suppose to be about american cars, over-rated and under-rated.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #37
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT

Nothing

withou tthe "muscle" qualifier it should be in "Car Chat" - the over or underated-ness of minivans has zero to do with this forum..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #38
TNT
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT

Nothing

withou tthe "muscle" qualifier it should be in "Car Chat" - the over or underated-ness of minivans has zero to do with this forum..
true true
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #39
79TA
Regular User

Under-rated: Buick, yes Buick. They make good solid plain jane cars that get the job done efficiently with a fair amount of zip despite their out-of-style gushy suspension.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #40
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT

Nothing

I posted it here because because it's about american cars and this section is about american cars.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote