Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #16
graywolf624
Regular User

You still don';t get it and your post flashes it from the mountain tops:

the buttons in the lincoln are just horrible the same goes for the handles for the indicators and whipers
(I know a guy who own one and the front seat have holes because of him getting in and out...) I could understand that if it had alot of side support, but the seats are more like an sofa so they shouldnt....
The dash board and front seats don't matter. The lincoln town car is 100 percent about the person sitting in the sofa like back seat. Thats the point. Its luxury from a stand point of not even knowing your in a car. What controls the driver has and how his seat wears is about as important as whether its raining half way across the world to that guy in the car.

It isn't supposed to be luxury to you or me.. Luxury to us is whats behind the wheel. Its supposed to be luxury for being driven.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by graywolf624
Just beacause you call it luxury doesnt make it so....
No its luxury.. Its just luxury for those that prefer to be driven.

You guys mix up comfy and luxury.....dont come and tell me that wood imitation and cheap plastic are luxury....
I do not deny its comfy to ride in, if youre not prone to become seasick that is......
See - this is proof you are talking crap.

The Lincoln TownCar is actually more luxurious than any BMW or Benz .. way more wood and leather - BMW and Benz is about "Coffee Shop" style, TownCar is about comfort and luxury.

Again you dont get it, I dont know if its because you didnt see any luxury in SA, or the American idea about luxury have gotten to you.....
What an assumption you have made.

My father has had all manner of Audis, relatives in very senior chairmanship execuitve positions have owned top line Mercedes and BMW's since I can remember - and yet others owned Jaguars and even a Rolls Royce.

I have been in and around far more luxury cars than you could care to believe - and been in all of them over my life time.

In recent times I have been in and around Roll's, Bentleys, Audi A8's, Top line Benz's and even a Maybach.

I have a perfect idea what luxury and comfort feel and look like.

The truth is that luxury and comfort don't have to cost $500,000 or be hand made in a little studio.

They are simply variations of the same theme.. some costing way more than others - but ALL achieving the same goal.

Yes they put leather in the car, but the feel of the leather are way different than if you feel the leather in a BMW or Merc,
Really? What an absurd subjective call. To many people the clinical leather of a BMW is not luxurious, just leathery and "stylish" - much like the Lexus idea of a "luxury" interior.

Again - same idea just executed differently and priced very differently.

We are not talking bespoke appointments here - as these are a wash.. take the bespoke Presidential limos.

the buttons in the lincoln are just horrible the same goes for the handles for the indicators and whipers....and the wood....well it doesnt feel like wood it doesnt even look that much as wood...
Again - pure subjectivity.

The choice of materials to use are bad, not as bad as most other American cars but far from something you think "hmmmm I really feel they have tought about this when they choose this plastic for the consol around the stereo, or around the speedo and such.....
More subjective bullshit.

another thing is when the interior are worn down on this car wich it will be pretty fast it looks like crap, cuz the leather are doesnt fit the cusion very good it will fold over itself and it will look fugly. (I know a guy who own one and the front seat have holes because of him getting in and out...) I could understand that if it had alot of side support, but the seats are more like an sofa so they shouldnt....
This guys must trash his cars then.. and exactly what model and what year are you talking about?

My 1996 Lincoln Town Car had 75,000 miles when traded.. interior was like the first day I picked it up... perfect.

Comfy hell yeah!!!! luxury sorry no, at least not from what we call luxury in Europe.....
Define this so called "european luxury"?

I guess there are different standards of what we consider luxury....
Having grown up around BMW's Mercs, Jags and more I can tell you the clinical "leather and wood" of a Benz is no more luxurious than a top line Caddy or Lincoln..

Same concept - different execution.

It isn't supposed to be luxury to you or me.. Luxury to us is whats behind the wheel. Its supposed to be luxury for being driven.
Doesn't one of the richest men in the world, Warren Buffet get chauffered around in a Towncar?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #18
graywolf624
Regular User

I dont see many lincoln towncars when leaders are gathered if its not in America..wich tells us the idea of luxury are different...
Actually Ive seen them used as limos in quite a few countries outside the US. Maybe not presidential limos, but thats just as much a matter of cost as anything else. A merc limo is a hell of alot more expensive.

Because it sounds like this car have been into the magical place where the vette are born, since its so different from everything else of interiors made in America...
You aren't even talking the same parent companies here. It is like us refering to those european cars... Doesn't work like that.

BMW,Merc,Audi, Rolls, Bentley..neither of these cars feel like an lincoln when one place his ass in it, and luxury are way more to an European than how your ass feels when it hit the leather....luxury to me at least is the whole package including how things feel and look, and not only in the backseat...
And that my friend is the difference in the type of luxury, but it isn't simply American based. As Ive pointed out lincoln limos are used the world over. Some people want to drive, others to be driven. Your stuck in the world where you drive. Were you in the world where you are driven you wouldnt give a hoot what the driver had for accutriments, it would be solely about the back seat. That and pensioners is the primary target for Lincoln. You aren't their demographic, neither are most Americans except on special occassions. That is when you don't want to even realize your in a car. You cannot for a minute argue it isn't like that in the back seat of the lincoln, or the rolls royce, or the bentley for that matter. Any one of those cars you could argue is bested in luxury for the driver, but for those 3 and a few other makes the driver is less important.

So far the only viable arguement you've given against the lincoln being a good limo is the badge itself. Thats weak.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #19
TopGearNL
Regular User

I thought we were talking large sedans..

DIMENSIONS, CAPACITY AND WEIGHT
Town Car Signature L
Length (mm) 5,624
Width (mm) 1,986
Height (mm) 1,491
Wheelbase (mm) 3,142
Curbweight (kg) 2,049
Trunk Size (L) 595
Not mid size family cars...

Body style Saloon

Engines Petrol, Diesel HDi

Gearbox automatic six-speed

Height 1 464 mm

Length 4 908 mm

Width 1860 mm

Wheelbase 2 900 mm
Americans always have to have everything in bigger sizes
Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #20
graywolf624
Regular User

^Nah.. its just more comparable to a top level merc rolls or bently in size.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #21
TopGearNL
Regular User

Ok you got me, I was just thinking in terms of price
Old 01-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #22
nthfinity
Regular User

brembo, you honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

you clearly have always stated bias against virtually everything that is american born... the only thing a skoda may compare postively against would be a lada, or yugo.

Lincoln's in fact have nothing to compare atgainst a skoda, let alone a skoda vs. a lincoln.

you just dig yourself deeper if you wish... but to say taht we dont have the same super-luxo limo's here is ignorant.

the fact is, many of my friends with the most expensive, and most luxurious cars in the wolrd around call Metro Cars (read lincoln towncar) to comp and pick them up, as well as drop them off to the airport. they are posh comfort, bar none.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #23
RC45
Regular User

I am fully aware of the "families" the cars belong in, I made that comment cuz you make this car out to be more than it is IMO, just as RC does with the vette....
....and you continually make out that anything from the US is less than what it is.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #24
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Ok you got me, I was just thinking in terms of price
And size are almost the only thing they have in common....
Well RC clearly showed us that the Lincoln is bigger :roll:
Old 01-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #25
RC45
Regular User

but big and comfy doesnt equal luxury in my book.....
Then what is luxury in your book?
Old 01-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #26
RC45
Regular User

but big and comfy doesnt equal luxury in my book.....
Then what is luxury in your book?
A pair of almost worn out sneakers can be very comfy, same as some baggy coton pants to just slob around in at home are comfy...but it aint luxury....

The smell of high quallity leather, the feel of the leather as Im sure you have feelt how leather in a RR feels you know what Im talking about...
Luxury are when what you see and what you feel are the same soemthing which is great to look at and at the same time feels great, got good quallity and so on...

Luxury can also being sitting by a bonfire with friends talking thru the night thats luxury to me also as I rarly have the time to do so, while for you that might be hell.....
So the smell of leather in a comfortable seat is luxury?

So this a "junk" and "trash" interior?

And this is a "unluxurious" ride?

And this is overall an aweful piece of crap that by no means reflects it huge sales success and repeat customer over a period of decades?

This interior is by definition better and luxurious.. because it simply is?

And this is by definition better?
Old 01-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #27
RC45
Regular User

Its more to luxury than the smell of leather and a comfy back seat IMO,
Again - what is this mysterious definiton of "luxury" you aspire to then?

Is it simply name and price?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #28
graywolf624
Regular User

The smell of high quallity leather, the feel of the leather as Im sure you have feelt how leather in a RR feels you know what Im talking about...
Luxury are when what you see and what you feel are the same soemthing which is great to look at and at the same time feels great, got good quallity and so on...
The lincoln has both the high quality feel and smell of leather in the back seats. No offense brembo but your comming off as a snob who only cares about brand image. Luxury isnt about how you look, its how you feel. Your also doing what you say we 'Americans' do. That is stereotyping an area as diverse and the size of all of europe as all similar. Funny you get ticked off when people even come close to doing that to you.. But clearly you havent understood that given the vastness and disparity in laws and locations in the US it is the equivelent here. At the end of the day my life style has as much similarities with yours as say RC's.... Completely different.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:06 AM   #29
666fast
Regular User

I find that most Luxury German car interiors certainly look better than the interior of a Lincoln Town Car. While the German cars are comfy, they aren't as comfy as the towncar IMO.
That said, if money wasn't an issue, I'd happily buy an A6/8 before a Towncar. Not because I think the Towncar is bad, but because I think the Audi is better inside and out.

And stop with the Skoda bashing, they're cool damnit.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:08 AM   #30
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
That said, if money wasn't an issue, I'd happily buy an A6/8 before a Towncar. Not because I think the Towncar is bad, but because I think the Audi is better inside and out.
But I dont think drivers will cross shop the 2 cars

Passengers wouldnt give a crap though
Closed Thread