Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 06-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
vexor
Regular User

Default Spy shots: 2008 Dodge Viper

Behold the first images of the 2008 Dodge Viper development muel. Our source tells us that there wasn’t just one powertrain prototype here - there were at least four of these red-hot Vipers with a vinyl-covered camouflage hood and various wires and test gauges - but nothing could hide the huge vents on the hood.

Sources are telling us NOT to expect a 2007 Viper - that model-year will be “skipped” and the ‘08 models will make an early appearance within the first quarter of 2007. And we do know that Dodge wants to expand the horsepower in the Vipers, but the “what” and “how” are currently just rumors. One rumor floating around is that McLaren is involved and has been breathing on DCX’s V-10 engine to get it somewhere near 600-650 horsepower.
WindingRoad.com

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
gucom
Regular User

apart from the hood it doesnt look very different from the current model does it? and since when does McLaren tune/do anything with engines? or is there some american company with the same name as the F1 team?

anyway, all the power in the world wouldnt make me want this car...but thankfully for Dodge, other ppl do
Old 06-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Shinigami
Regular User

Originally Posted by gucom
apart from the hood it doesnt look very different from the current model does it?
Some companies use test mules wrapped in old skin to confuse the media.

If it's just used to test the technology inside, then the exterior can be anything they want it to be. Probably using the current body shape lets them tinker with other stuff while the finishing touches to the actual look are being still carried out on pen, paper and pc *shrug*
Old 06-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
stracing
Regular User

that bonnet seems to get longer and longer. starting to look like the batmobile
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

or is there some american company with the same name as the F1 team?
Actually, there is.
http://www.mclarenperformance.com/
and this company's located in Michigan, not so far from the Chrysler hq. So it makes sense.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by gucom

anyway, all the power in the world wouldnt make me want this car...but thankfully for Dodge, other ppl do
Then I guess it's a good thing these cars are not deisgned with broke dutch teenagers in mind
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
number77
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
As for the new car. I've never really been very into this car. I've also heard a lot of bad things about its handling and I don't even like the looks.
That opinion originated from people with very average driving ability (and from people playing Gran Turismo) judging "handling" by what the car feels like to them.
Alot of people aren't used to driving cars where you are down low, and towards the back(the viper has a long hood).
Where as in a Ferrari, you sit alot more forward.
There is a hidden sense of the car pivoting around a certain point. If you're in a Viper that point will be forward of you, and if you're in something else, it will be on or to the rear of you.
It makes for an entirely different driving experience.

number77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:14 AM   #8
DeMoN
Regular User

That is called, balance and weight distribution. The viper did have its fame as a nice handling car once, but it doesnt anymore. If that layout would be optimal, I think we'd see it on the Corvette Z06 aswell. Z06 kills viper.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:22 AM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
That is called, balance and weight distribution. The viper did have its fame as a nice handling car once, but it doesnt anymore. If that layout would be optimal, I think we'd see it on the Corvette Z06 aswell. Z06 kills viper.
front engine, rear drive?

huh?

Z06 kills viper for other reasons; mainly because of the Germans :roll:
Old 06-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

... take a look at the intercooler - talking about a turbo Viper then??
doesn't look like an intercooler to me... but a high efficiancy radiator
Old 07-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #11
noliebro
Regular User

Here is the rumors about this car from ALLPAR.COM

From “oh20:” “Late next summer the last 2006 Viper will roll off the lines. When the employees return to work the following January, a little over 14 months from now, they will be building the refreshed 2008 "ZB" models. The 2007 model year is going to be skipped.”

From a source who would probably prefer to remain nameless: “The 2008 Dodge Viper is solid - much faster and sleeker, while still keeping the twin hump in top (on coupe models) but with a whole new front end that’s sharper and more menacing.”

Given the recent showing of a McLaren Viper, and rumors about the current V10 being “made over” by an external firm, it seems almost certain that the 2008 Dodge Viper will use a McLaren-massaged V10 engine, probably the one shown at SEMA in the ASC Diamondback Viper. That engine was rated at 615 hp, a fat 110 hp more than the current version; that Viper could do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, a few tenths better than the current model in a genre where a few tenths are a big difference. The ASC model cut weight using expensive carbon fiber, but then, McLaren might not have been showing all their engine could do; we’ve been told to expect 700 hp but we suspect 650 is more realistic, and, indeed, we have been told by a reliable source that 600-650 hp is what we should really expect. Keep in mind, though, that the Viper V-10 is not a typical "peaky" engine and that it has tire-melting power right off idle.

Other rumors were not particularly credible - using the Mercedes V12 (not Viper-like), a V10 Hemi (expensive to create, poor emissions), a turbocharged V10 (not desired by current owners), and an even bigger Hemi V8 (again, not Viper-like). The current Viper engine, based on the LA V8 family introduced decades ago, most likely has untapped potential which could be awakened by expert tuners.

A Chrysler version of the Viper is almost certainly in the works. The Firepower may be a look at what's to come - it's a Hemi-powered, Viper-chassis Chrysler that would be cheaper to make, and would add to the volume of the Viper chassis, helping to spur profitability. By using a standard-production drivetrain, it's no doubt much cheaper to make - and performance is still respectable with a Corvette-like 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. (Keep in mind it's an automatic.) The Firepower is said to have definitely been approved.

oh20’s 2008 Dodge Viper rumor roundup summaryredicted debut: 6:30pm-8:30pm Monday September 25th, 2006, VOI9 Las Vegas

Start of production (Job 1): January 8th, 2007

End of production: July 2008 (for the 2008 model)

Series: ZB

Models: SRT10 coupe and SRT convertible (+ Special edition models)

New features:

Exterior refresh
8.4L SFI V10 engine replaces 8.3L V10 (600-650 hp estimate)
High performance alternator
New SRT-10 satin silver badging
+?

Key carryover features from 2006:

6-speed T56 manual transmission (revised?)
3.07 axle ratio
12-inch clutch
18.5-gallon fuel tank
18x10 and 19x13 wheels
275/35ZR18 and 345/30ZR19 Michelin tires
310-watt amp w/7 speakers and subwoofer
Anti-lock 4-Wheel-disc brakes
Dual side exhaust
HID headlamps
Keyless Entry
Leather wrapped Steering Wheel
Power adjustable pedals
Power windows (1-touch up)
Preferred suede seats w/leather trim
Radio RBQ AM/FM radio w/in-dash 6-disc CD
Sirius satellite radio
Sport Suspension
Tilt steering column

Colors: Viper...black, blue, red, yellow, slate crystal?, more?

In a Porsche 911, you're going to have a very good time actually driving the thing, but everyone is going to hate you. They're going to give you dirty looks as you drive by, call you names at the lights, vandalise your paintwork in the night and never, ever let you out of a side turning. That's a given.

In the Vantage, everyone's going to want your babies.
-J.C.
noliebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
DodgeMan1969
Regular User

In my opinion Dodge messed with the viper too much FOR ME, i think they need to do a 1999 Dodge Viper GTS remake for mass production not these weird lookin things Dodge decides to put a Viper label on.
DodgeMan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 PM   #13
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

:roll: so they changed the hood..?
too bad it drives like a pos.. and even the looks i'm not a fan..
i'll take a z06 over it anytime..

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #14
DodgeMan1969
Regular User

EREZ thank u.
i agree although i dought they drive like a pos.
But i used to love the viper and it now looks like a half ddecent car but not a viper...
DodgeMan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:29 PM   #15
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

i'm sure it goes like MF.. but as a drivers car, not a drag car.. something to take to a mountain road\track.. it will kill you.. its a powerful cruiser nothing more..
and i really dont like the way it looks.. its too.. "blingy" its screams for attention.. and chrome wheels? i think its the only production car in the world these days that comes out of the factory with those.. the older vipers did look better.. much better once you had some normal rims fitted..
maybe its just me tho.. i know that when it would come down to my money, the viper is not even an option.. :bad:

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote