Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 05-27-2004, 03:15 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Default Re: 600hp CTS Super V confirmed? Bye-bye M5/E55/RS6... ;)

Originally Posted by espen
Originally Posted by RC45
Aw... getting upset an jealous because yet ANOTHER non-euro car laps the 'ring quicker than the previous over-priced BMW or Audi?
Just out of curiousity, which non-euros would that be and why would it upset us? Sport Auto rated both the 350Z and the NSX-R highly and now runs an NSX-R at the 24h.

I'm happy to see that Caddy finally has decided to make a real car and make it work at the ring. if it works there, it will work anywhere. US cars work great in the US, but havent always worked equally well here. If they make a decent car then I guess it will sell once the lead sled image wears off. But you have to make a good car. the Corvette wont sell on account of being domestic over here y'know.

Yes I've driven a C5 and i much prefer the owners 993 Carerra 2 to it. The Vette has good straight line speed and good brakes, but just cant cope with regular worn roads - whereas the 911 just dances along on whatever surface you put it on.

Now amaze us with an awasome C6 and see the tables turn. Its that easy.
You obviously have not driven the Z06 - unlike the regular C5 laps the Nurburgring faster than any of the cars you have mentioned..

So no need to wait for the C6 to beat em.

The CTS-V has also already lapped the 'ring faster than the M5 ... so you were saying?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SL55 AMG
IMO even if this is completly true, Cadillac does not have the clientel for a product like this. and as someone pointed out, in Europe ppl dont give a shit about American cars.
There are more than enough people who WANT a fast, great handeling sedan who will snap up every 600hp CTS Super V....

they won't need to (or want to) ship any to Europe.. even the Z06 didn't make it there as an official import - something about the muffler being too loud... :roll:

LOL
Old 05-27-2004, 03:18 PM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by PATo355
Well it certainly dont look that bad , but i think it will have problems being more agile than the M/RS , lack of technology and quality as always happens with american cars , even considering that being a 500 limited run it will be certainly more exclusive than the europeans counterpart , and less expensive too , i think its a winner ...
Remember, the CTS-V is already more agile than the M5 and RS6...

Now it gets 200hp more..
Old 05-27-2004, 03:22 PM   #19
blah
Regular User

ID STILL rather have a M5, Since i am in a campaign againest cadillac. I have beef with them, we will fight over it too.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #20
espen
Regular User

No, I havent driven a Z06 as the are not sold here. Have'nt seen any lap times on a Z06 at the Ring, but I gather you have so please enlighten me. If it breaks into the 7s then I'm impressed.

Theres more to selling a serious performance car than raw figures. The C5 is a flop in europe, and frankly I'm not surprised. You cant sell panel gaps and an interior like that at Porsche prices here.

Either way, I don't understand your confrontational attitude, whats the big deal? I've lived in the US and driven loads of US cars. Like I said, some of them are ok over there, but generally they're not doing so well over here.
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by espen
No, I havent driven a Z06 as the are not sold here. Have'nt seen any lap times on a Z06 at the Ring, but I gather you have so please enlighten me. If it breaks into the 7s then I'm impressed.

Theres more to selling a serious performance car than raw figures. The C5 is a flop in europe, and frankly I'm not surprised. You cant sell panel gaps and an interior like that at Porsche prices here.

Either way, I don't understand your confrontational attitude, whats the big deal? I've lived in the US and driven loads of US cars. Like I said, some of them are ok over there, but generally they're not doing so well over here.
What confrontational attitude?

You are making claims - yet have done no home work... I am simply setting the record straight.

The Z06 lapped the 'ring in 7'56" - that puts it in some very rarified company.

I am also not one to claim that US cars are what they are not.

For many years the common domestic US sedan has been a pile of stinking shit - and could not go, stop or turn - in fact MOST of them still are.

I am not making ageneral sweeping statement that ALL US cars ruel - far from it - what I am saying is that in various classes Europe and Japan no longer "lead by heritage" anymore.

That's what I am saying.

Old 05-27-2004, 04:03 PM   #22
Vansquish
Regular User

Well...it may well outperform the other cars on offer...but I still think that the German and even the British (Jag) cars which will be "competing" with it are in a different league...Cadillac just doesn't have the cachet that the others do, even....either way I'm still looking forward to it hehe

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:06 PM   #23
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish
Well...it may well outperform the other cars on offer...but I still think that the German and even the British (Jag) cars which will be "competing" with it are in a different league...Cadillac just doesn't have the cachet that the others do, even....either way I'm still looking forward to it hehe
LOL - yep I am betting the last middle-aged yuppie in his 996 I left behind was flipping through his owner's manual looking for the entry under "cachet" - it was cross-referenced under "loser"... LOL
Old 05-27-2004, 04:50 PM   #24
schnell318
Regular User

So when is this CTS coming out? I would really like to see if it can lap the ring faster than the upcoming E60 M5...guess we´ll have to wait. Even though I don´t like american cars in general (cause most of them look, drive and are built like shit) i´m kind of curious how this car will do.
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:43 PM   #25
666fast
Regular User

For many years the common domestic US sedan has been a pile of stinking shit - and could not go, stop or turn

And you should know, you had a Ford Taurus!
I also know, I've got it's Chevy equivelent, the Celebrity!

I like the car and I'd love to have a go in one. Especially a 600bhp one! I don't think you guys in Europe have to worry about it, if the rumors are true of only 500 being made, I doubt it'll be sold there. If one ends up there, it'll most likely be imported. Even then, it would only be a small handfull of them. If they are sold in Europe, I'd love to see one on Top Gear and 5th Gear. I'm sure Clarkson would have something funny to say and Tiff would give it a proper flogging.

I really don't care which one is quicker, I lack the ability to take anyone of these 'bahn stormers to their limit, so I'll go with the one thats the easiest for me to actually obtain one of these days. A used CTS-V will be in my price range in a few years.
As for which is better overall, I'm sure BMW would be in the lead with the Merc and Audi behind them. The Caddy CTS-V would most likely come dead last in terms of quality and finish. Too put that into comparison, just look at it's price. Although, for it's price, the Caddy should not have such a crappy interior. Which is a major downside, but I can overlook that. Especially if I'm getting equal, if not better, performance for a fraction of the price.
Then there is the tuning options if the owner decides to do so. IMO, the CTS-V wins hands down on that one.

I'll take one in Black please.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #26
blah
Regular User

Most people who buy a Z06, do not care about the interior, they just care about that V-8 and that suspension
Old 05-28-2004, 12:51 AM   #27
Schwalbe

It’s really a good news this confirmation. Thanks RC for info. I was not sure that GM would produce this powerful sedan. Moreover, I hope this CTS Super V will have a commercial success, because I like this badass horsepower monster's. In addition this CTS Super V will be definitively a classic muscle car’s.

Small anecdote:

I showed last week to my Grandfather the pictures of the CTS-V (Plus, now Super) He was astonished to see how Cadillac is now. My Grandfather was an engineer at Cadillac in Detroit in the 30’ and 40’. He worked with Owen Nacker, the engineer behind the development of the Cadillac V-16. He has 94 years old now.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:12 AM   #28
AlienDB7
Regular User

You guys remember the Italdesign Corvette Moray concept from last year? The donar car is actually the C5 driven by Mr. Giugiaro as a daily driver for over a year!
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:25 AM   #29
hemi_fan
Regular User

I think its an amazing car. Caddilac is trying to regain its status as a high-end luxury car. They are building a whole bunch of new high-end cars now to go back to the old days when Caddilac was right up there with Mercs and BMWs in terms of prestige. I think its a good plan, because cadilacs have been lacking in the past few decades.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #30
Sm@ck
Regular User

Default Re: 600hp CTS Super V confirmed? Bye-bye M5/E55/RS6... ;)

Originally Posted by RC45

You obviously have not driven the Z06 - unlike the regular C5 laps the Nurburgring faster than any of the cars you have mentioned..

So no need to wait for the C6 to beat em.

The CTS-V has also already lapped the 'ring faster than the M5 ... so you were saying?
CAn you please reference the laptime? Otherwise it is just pure speculation, and does not help your argument. I could only find this one made in 1997, and normally this site is up to date:
Horst von Saurma (D) Chevrolet Corvette, 344 PS, 1505 kg
1997-07-01, sport auto Supertest 20.000 km 142.615 km/h 8 40 000 (thats 8 minutes and 40 seconds)
http://nurburgring.de/?rubrik=rekorde&order=Distance

since this was in 1997, I guess this is the old C5.

Anyway I am sure the car will be very potent, just find it odd they would limit it to 500. I guess they are using this car more as a marketing gimmick...
Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote