Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 05-27-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default 600hp CTS Super V confirmed? Bye-bye M5/E55/RS6... ;)

Building on from the images previously posted - rumours are now "confirmed" (what ever that mean in real-world terms) that the GM guys are working on a limited number (500) of 600hp CTS Super V's....

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=09818491

What was that about the next M5 V10 dominating this sector???

We’re told this beast is the forerunner for the maximum General Motors Performance Division Caddy, the CTS Super V. Available direct from GM for about $65,000, Super V features a 600-hp engine, carbon fiber hood and fenders, and that scoop for getting more cooling air in and around the engine bay.

Once GM engineers get done running the Nürburgring, they’ll get down to the business of building just 500 limited-edition Super Vs.
Now wouldn't this just upset the RS/AMG/M car brigade if this is real???

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:54 AM   #2
Sm@ck
Regular User

Default Re: 600hp CTS Super V confirmed? Bye-bye M5/E55/RS6... ;)

Originally Posted by RC45
Building on from the images previously posted - rumours are now "confirmed" (what ever that mean in real-world terms) that the GM guys are working on a limited number (500) of 600hp CTS Super V's....

Now wouldn't this just upset the RS/AMGM car brigade if this is real???
Nope because in EU no one gives a damn about GM cars, and in the US it will still be more prestigous to have a M BMW, or AMG Mercedes.
Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:57 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sm@ck

Now wouldn't this just upset the RS/AMGM car brigade if this is real???
Nope because in EU no one gives a damn about GM cars, and in the US it will still be more prestigous to have a M BMW, or AMG Mercedes.
Aw... getting upset an jealous because yet ANOTHER non-euro car laps the 'ring quicker than the previous over-priced BMW or Audi?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
T-Bird
Regular User

owning ANY car that is 1 of 500 is more prestigious no matter who makes it. you european whiners need to swallow your pride and accept that fact.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
stradale
Regular User

I agree with sm@ck. Hardly anyone here in Europe would buy one, me included. I would obviously respect the car for what it can do and I'm sure there would be a small group of people that would buy it for that fact alone and kick some ass on the 'Ring. But I simply wouldn't want to be seen in a Caddy. I hate the looks of that car and that matters to me just as well as how it handles.

It's true that hardly anyone in Europe cares for the American GM cars. Sales are very very low and I don't see that change in short time.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
DanielW
Regular User

IMO it looks much better then the upcoming M5.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wytrzyszc
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
fedezyl
Regular User

Very cool news, i've liked the CTS the first time I saw it in real life....well...the looks are a bit on the quirky side, but it's always good when another saloon comes to stirr up BMW and the likes... Congrats to Caddy for getting his act a bit more together and try to build something else than a large boat for the road!

fedezyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:46 AM   #8
Sm@ck
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
owning ANY car that is 1 of 500 is more prestigious no matter who makes it. you european whiners need to swallow your pride and accept that fact.
Hey I was stating a fact, I was not stating my opinion. I never said the car sucks. How ever when people buy a car they also purchase an "image".
Now in europe the only popular GM cars are opel/vauxhalls which are not considered to be upper market cars.
Now I know that in the US Cadillac had a problem with their image. The cars where considered not to be cool (only weathy old people drove caddis). They are slowly changing the image around.
As for this car being faster around the ring than an AMG and an M, it may be. I still would take an M5 over this or an AMG becuase I prefer its looks, and I associate myself more with BMW than with the other 2 brands mentioned.

Well just have to wait and see for the final product. I do find the hood a bit ricey though...
Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #9
yg60m
Regular User

Now wouldn't this just upset the RS/AMG/M car brigade if this is real???
yes ... if it's real but that would be nice, i like the CTS .
Old 05-27-2004, 12:12 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sm@ck
How ever when people buy a car they also purchase an "image".
And for all those "image conscious" yuppies at Starbucks there are AMG/RS and M Cars - for the rest that know what they want and don't need some marketing or Bangle-image maker to show them, there are these types of cars - where form follows function - and might I add it is quite a powerful form..
Old 05-27-2004, 12:32 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

thanks for the update, RC
500+ hp doesnt suck
Old 05-27-2004, 02:24 PM   #12
espen
Regular User

Aw... getting upset an jealous because yet ANOTHER non-euro car laps the 'ring quicker than the previous over-priced BMW or Audi?
Just out of curiousity, which non-euros would that be and why would it upset us? Sport Auto rated both the 350Z and the NSX-R highly and now runs an NSX-R at the 24h.

I'm happy to see that Caddy finally has decided to make a real car and make it work at the ring. if it works there, it will work anywhere. US cars work great in the US, but havent always worked equally well here. If they make a decent car then I guess it will sell once the lead sled image wears off. But you have to make a good car. the Corvette wont sell on account of being domestic over here y'know.

Yes I've driven a C5 and i much prefer the owners 993 Carerra 2 to it. The Vette has good straight line speed and good brakes, but just cant cope with regular worn roads - whereas the 911 just dances along on whatever surface you put it on.

Now amaze us with an awasome C6 and see the tables turn. Its that easy.
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:28 PM   #13
PATo355
Regular User

Well it certainly dont look that bad , but i think it will have problems being more agile than the M/RS , lack of technology and quality as always happens with american cars , even considering that being a 500 limited run it will be certainly more exclusive than the europeans counterpart , and less expensive too , i think its a winner ...

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:38 PM   #14
SL55 AMG
Regular User

IMO even if this is completly true, Cadillac does not have the clientel for a product like this. and as someone pointed out, in Europe ppl dont give a shit about American cars.
SL55 AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:57 PM   #15
TT
Regular User

Well, I hope this is seriously true because I already can't wait to see the first reviews of such beast