Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #31
79TA
Regular User

^ Look at Spiffu's car and you might recognize that spoiler, hehe.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #32
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Old 09-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #33
FoxFour
Regular User

The previous IRS that was put in the '99-'04 Cobras was just a carryover design from the MN-12 chassis Thunderbird/Cougar. Therefor not designed for the power potential of the Cobra. Higher durometer bushings and switching to heavier duty half shafts (If I remember correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong, the '99 model had half shafts that were designed for the Explorer 4X4 model) But it was still a heavy-ass assembly.
Just to get off track a little bit, the SN-95 platform/ Fox4 chassis did have shortcomings, but what would have happened if Ford did give John Coletti the serious cash infusion like they did with the S-197 program? I can tell you it would have been a very different animal than it is today. Most people here are familiar with Ford making the Mustang into a front-wheel drive, 4 cylinder car, that car later turned out to be sold as the Probe, and that idea was shelved by thousands of angry letters sent to Ford HQ.
Taken from Road and Track, Guide to the new 1994 Ford Mustang:
So in August 1989, Coletti was asked by Alex Trotman, then head of Ford's North AmericanAutomotive Operations, to form a '"skunk team'" to investigate the possibility of building a new Mustang "'We formed a team-it was made up of eight people-and we started meeting in my office every Thursday night at 4 o'clock, because this was in addition to our normal jobs.
Getting the Go Ahead:
" In May1990, I went to Mr. Trotman and said 'We'd like to continue from now until October with almost no cost to you. Just give us the green light to go to October, and in October we'll give you the full lowdown,"' says Coletti.
'"We made him a deal he couldn't refuse. And basically he went for it''
In September 1990, Ford senior management approved the idea of building a new Mustang around existing powertrain and chassis hardware, but as long as a tight schedule and even tighter budget could be met.
So basically the 1994 Mustang was designed inside an old Montgomery Ward warehouse south of Dearborn and brought the Mustang program to fruition in 35 months, previous new car programs ran at least 48 months.
Actually the engineers on that program wanted an SLA front end setup and IRS, but were just happy to keep the Mustang alive .
Even though my next car is leaning towards the 2010 G8 ST , I have heard rumblings of a 2010 Mustang SVO powered by a 300+ HP 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine. Since I have an affinity to that particular car, owning one for 12 plus years and driving that car in my early twenties, good memories, I just may have to keep an eye out on that particular car when it comes out.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland

Last edited by FoxFour; 09-11-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: More rambling thoughts added:)
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #34
79TA
Regular User

Cool. I didn't know that about the '94 model. They saved a lot of sales for Ford by keeping the real Mustang alive.

I'm looking forward to seeing this Mustang at the L.A. Auto Show. Man, that's coming up really quickly now.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #35
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by FoxFour View Post

So basically the 1994 Mustang was designed inside an old Montgomery Ward warehouse south of Dearborn and brought the Mustang program to fruition in 35 months, previous new car programs ran at least 48 months.
Actually the engineers on that program wanted an SLA front end setup and IRS, but were just happy to keep the Mustang alive .
Even though my next car is leaning towards the 2010 G8 ST , I have heard rumblings of a 2010 Mustang SVO powered by a 300+ HP 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine. Since I have an affinity to that particular car, owning one for 12 plus years and driving that car in my early twenties, good memories, I just may have to keep an eye out on that particular car when it comes out.
Not inaccurate stories... the GT will be ~400 hp n/a.

My friend Peter was heading that montgomery ward warehouse way back when Nice to see it mentioned in publication
Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #36
79TA
Regular User

400 hp for the "standard" GT. You just made my day.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #37
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Looks pretty much the same.. All comes down to looks and power to me when deciding between the 3 new muscle and pony cars.. and it has to be the Challenger, just because it looks so much better than the other 2.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #38
kach22i
Regular User

I've saw three spotted camo Mustangs on US 23 just north of Ann Arbor a couple of weeks ago, no pictures the sun was setting and I was going south, just no time to take pictures.

More pictures:
2010 Mustang with leopard-skin spotted camo
http://jalopnik.com/5047064/2010-for...ng-in-the-nude

They fixed the boxy truck-like front, but messed with the perfect rear.

It's like the Night Gallery mermaid.

The rear is growing on me, it does soften the car and matches the front treatments.

These pictures were done back in October 2002 (6 years ago). I traced over a rendering in one of the major car magazines and added many touches I thought the car should have (was not the first time). I posted them over at Blue Oval News and Brad's Mustang site, and perhaps a few other forums. Most people seemed to like the suggestions I drew in.

I suppose I could see into the future better than most.

I did some more drawings of the new Mustang a few years later(w/personal mods). Once a large two page ad came out I hit it with some "white-out" and magic marker for changes I would like to see. A guy over at Blue Oval News posting as Timmm55 then touched it up in photoshop.

How close did we get?

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ch22i/Mustang/
Architect and Business Owner
kach22i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #39
enzoferrari
Regular User

Mustang is coming back!~
Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #40
kach22i
Regular User

Concept Photos
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/17/l...ally-unveiled/

I love this headlight detail, a salute to the 1970 Mustang.

I question the trapazoid rear tail lights and the canting in of the rear.

I love the addition of "hips".

I love the lowering of the front hood edge height.

This redo is very much like the changes I drew several years ago and posted on the Internet. They even copied the color of my highlight marker.

Where is my free Mustang?
Architect and Business Owner
kach22i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #41
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
400 hp for the "standard" GT. You just made my day.

awww, for now we'll settle with the 315 hp 4.6 litre intake and mild exhaust combo.