Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 07-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #16
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

hey man! welcome back! ... yeah itīs not the same as it was back in the day with the PS competitions, but I still log in daily.

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:36 AM   #17
corvette97
Regular User

Vanquish,

Sorry I confused your car with a horrible STR 4 i dont know why i tought you had one!!!

about the mazda, i simply love that car... so aggressive, so fast, and no need to have a crap interior like subies/evos

sometimes I also question the fact that i spend my money on a the car but i cant help it!

I've struggled with my career a lot :s I was right in the middle of architectural design, but one day i got up and realized i hated what i was doing so a career change is due to next year, in the mean time i'm starting my own bussines on the other hand things are extremely different here than in the US when it comes to education...

Chaos, te recuerdo nica!!! I do remember you, obviously the SN but if memory serves me right, you once had a ferrari 288 in your sig?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97 View Post
Vanquish,

Sorry I confused your car with a horrible STR 4 i dont know why i tought you had one!!!

about the mazda, i simply love that car... so aggressive, so fast, and no need to have a crap interior like subies/evos

sometimes I also question the fact that i spend my money on a the car but i cant help it!

I've struggled with my career a lot :s I was right in the middle of architectural design, but one day i got up and realized i hated what i was doing so a career change is due to next year, in the mean time i'm starting my own bussines on the other hand things are extremely different here than in the US when it comes to education...

Chaos, te recuerdo nica!!! I do remember you, obviously the SN but if memory serves me right, you once had a ferrari 288 in your sig?
No worries about the SRT...it's quick, but I don't think I could be happy owning one.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had some tough times with your career, it seems like that's sort of the status quo these days. Good luck with your startup though! There's a lot of room for them if you find the right area, build a good product, and find good clients.

As I alluded to in my previous post, I'm about to head off to school myself. I've been working for a major University's Business and Finance dept. and I've learned a lot since I started 4 years ago, but I've always known that it wasn't for me in the long run. As a result, I'm quitting my job in about 2.5 weeks and I'll be starting Law School shortly thereafter. Here's to hemorrhaging a ton of money over the next three years!

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #19
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Damn, sounds like a fairly impressive build. I envy the ability to spend that kind of time and money building. Someday, someday...in any case, you'll probably scoff, but I've actually not got an SRT. They've got a 2.4L Turbo-4 if memory serves. I've actually got a Mazdaspeed6. I'm about to head off to law school, so I don't really have the time or money to dump a lot into the car, but in the long term, I'd like to:

Drop in some forged con-rods, higher-compression pistons, a FMIC rather than the heat-soak-prone TMIC that I've got.

Short term, I think I'm going to focus on doing suspension work and drivetrain stabilization work as well. Basically I'm hoping to put some properly adjustable coil-overs and sway bars in, add some more durable rear differential mounts (and replace all the engine/transmission/differential etc...bushings with higher durometer bushings), and a short shift kit with a weighted knob (the stock assembly is notchy and pretty unpleasant in daily-driving).

That being said, right now I'm seeing about 33mpg and I've got 300+bhp...suck that V6 Mustang!
Oh man a Speed6 brings back good and bad memories lol. I can pull that motor build it and drop it in all in a long day maybe two if I dont want to work 15 straight hours. I've built more than a few Speed3/6's. Fortunate enough to work on the leading edge of that car from day one but alas I have gotten out of that world now. I developed the first tubular exhaust manifold for the car actually. I worked for ProtegeGarage.com for a few years.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97 View Post
haha yeah a good while ago, still my dream supercar... how are things in guatemala (si no recuerdo mal)? lovely country, was there in january...

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
Oh man a Speed6 brings back good and bad memories lol. I can pull that motor build it and drop it in all in a long day maybe two if I dont want to work 15 straight hours. I've built more than a few Speed3/6's. Fortunate enough to work on the leading edge of that car from day one but alas I have gotten out of that world now. I developed the first tubular exhaust manifold for the car actually. I worked for ProtegeGarage.com for a few years.
Nice hehe, I've bought one or two parts from them already, but it looks like Streetunit has sort of been picking up where PG left off. I haven't done a lot to the car yet, but as you can see, I've got some plans. That being said, I'm looking for reliability more than power/speed right now, as I need the thing to be a DD and be able to drive to Central Wisconsin in the middle of winter.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Old 08-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #22
T-Bird
Regular User

I used to drive around in one with Summer tires in 6 inches of snow it did great just took a little longer to stop lol. as far as streetunit I dont want to get into it but Cullen the owner is a piece of shit, he made a lot of enemies out there with the older Mazdaspeed Protege guys his company has been banned from a few forums. I'm not gonna say that PG is the best by any means, I mean I worked for the guy for 2 years and he is still one of my best friends but yeah they both have their place and offer different products. PG has a big following just like SU, PG had a mazdaspeed 3 powered Mazda 5 in One Lap this year that was pretty cool and they have been co hosting the annual Mazda meet at OCC in NY that's a blast. Good luck on the car and if you have any questions feel free to ask me, I've built and worked on more of them then most people have, I can do a manifold swap in under 1.5 hours at this point lol.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #23
Vansquish
Regular User

Yeah, I kind of got the feeling that Cullen has made some enemies, but SU has some decently priced items that might help my car's long-term reliability and robustness. Since it looks like CP-E isn't making their strengthened rear diff mount anymore (as far as I can tell), the next best thing is SU's "Stiff Diff"...though I am seriously considering buying Turbintech's front diff mount instead, as it appears to be a more heavy-duty and secure component.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
T-Bird
Regular User

turbinetech is good stuff ive installed a few, the front engine mount they sell limits fmic options though
Old 08-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #25
Pimp Racer
Regular User

reunion time? sweet
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #26
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pimp Racer View Post
reunion time? sweet
I think it's time you update your sig to GT5 snaps!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #27
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
turbinetech is good stuff ive installed a few, the front engine mount they sell limits fmic options though
I'm not sure if I'm going to go FMIC or not, might just do upgraded TMIC, I don't really race, so heat soak isn't as much of an issue as it could be, and I haven't done any turbo upgrades...yet...so I think in the short term just doing relatively simple chassis/engine/transmission strengthening would be the way to go. Have you had any experience with Stoptech brakes/brake kits?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #28
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
I'm not sure if I'm going to go FMIC or not, might just do upgraded TMIC, I don't really race, so heat soak isn't as much of an issue as it could be, and I haven't done any turbo upgrades...yet...so I think in the short term just doing relatively simple chassis/engine/transmission strengthening would be the way to go. Have you had any experience with Stoptech brakes/brake kits?
not for that car no. I was talking with Stillen trying to develop Wilwood BBK's before I quit but after I left it went nowhere sadly