Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-02-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
mrzonda
Regular User

Default Fixing Scratches

Hi guys. It's the time of year (for me at least) where I wax my car, and try to make sure that the body is in decent shape.

This year, there seems to be quite a few small scratches. I've seen different ways of removing them such as using rubbing compounds or sand paper. I've tried using a TurtleWax rubbing compound, but that didn't seem to remove scratches too well, and it seems to take away some of the shine. Has anyone tried the sandpaper method? This sort of worries me a bit as far as 'taking away the shine' goes.

Does anyone have a good way of removing scratches?
mrzonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Why don't you try those "magic pencils" they have at Canadian Tire? They're next to the auto paint. They look more like lipsticks. I heard they do wonders when it comes to removing/covering up scratches.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

I used some touch up paint (available in the Auto section in large stores like Walmart) - it covers up deep scratches very well. I need to check out Badmihai's suggestions too

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
racer_f50
Regular User

here's a pretty detailed guide to fixing up paint chips/scratches
http://www.toyotacelicas.com/informa...paintchip.html
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
vividance
Regular User

Default Re: Fixing Scratches

Originally Posted by mrzonda
Hi guys. It's the time of year (for me at least) where I wax my car, and try to make sure that the body is in decent shape.

This year, there seems to be quite a few small scratches. I've seen different ways of removing them such as using rubbing compounds or sand paper. I've tried using a TurtleWax rubbing compound, but that didn't seem to remove scratches too well, and it seems to take away some of the shine. Has anyone tried the sandpaper method? This sort of worries me a bit as far as 'taking away the shine' goes.

Does anyone have a good way of removing scratches?
try using Meguirs's SCRATCH-X. it helps, but u really need to rub it for a long time on the scratch...but in the end it's well worth the effort.

touch and area and it felt nice and very very smooth. then was the area to protect the paint ...
vividance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #6
Apac102
Regular User

I saw in some magazine about this new wax that came out and its called Nano...something. I forgot the whole name but what it does is have smaller compounds that fill in the area. Supposedly its suppose to do a great job. But ive never used it (ill stick to my zymol).
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:46 PM   #7
Boltz
Regular User

Buff it with some good compound and a wool pad.

Then hit it with some swirl free remover and a foam pad.

then finish it with some black gold finishing polish and a finishing foam pad, thats what I use.

or you could just try using the finishing pad off of the bat with some finishing polish. I like to use black gold.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:35 PM   #8
vividance
Regular User

Originally Posted by Apac102
But ive never used it (ill stick to my zymol).
is zymol really that good...?

I am able to get the Zymol cleaner wax but have not get it yet. am thinking.

what's the difference between the true wax and the cleaner wax by Zymol.

As for the meguiers ones, i ahev used meguiers Carnauba Wax and the Meguiers cleaner wax. The Carnauba Wax seems to really give it shine and it last, whereas the cleaner wax seems good as well but seem that it did not last so long.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:18 PM   #9
Apac102
Regular User

I also use meguiers also vividance. I think it works just as well as zymol. Both are great waxes, its just........to be honest, the smell of zymol is better . lol thats mainly the reason why I use it. But again, both are great...just...zymol smells better
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:25 PM   #10
itsthepham

Buy this .. its a product from 3m .. its a finishing compound used to clean the telescope lenses .. the big ass hubble telescope lenses... i use it on my car and it takes the scratches away like nothing ... then wax it .. its as if it just came out from the factory
Old 07-04-2004, 11:12 PM   #11
vividance
Regular User

Originally Posted by itsthepham
Buy this .. its a product from 3m .. its a finishing compound used to clean the telescope lenses .. the big ass hubble telescope lenses... i use it on my car and it takes the scratches away like nothing ... then wax it .. its as if it just came out from the factory
can you provide the name of the product so that we can look out for it?
thanks