Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 02-23-2004, 12:55 AM   #1
scumhookleo
Regular User

Default Corvette Drivers

I've been for several rides in several different Corvettes (most recently an 02 z06), and have been universally unimpressed with the drivers of these cars. I'm always passing them on the street as they putt along doing 5 below the limit.

I thought they drove slow to avoid the cops, but the more I deal with Corvette owners, the more I become convinced that they're a big bunch of weenies who buy their cars to impress their 50 year old mates and make girls young enough to be their daughters look at them.

Of course, maybe I just haven't come across the right Corvette owners...

I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks about this...
scumhookleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:00 AM   #2
graywolf624
Regular User

Actually from my own observations the corvettes represent the largest portion of those vehicles that are open tracked. One thing you should note. Obeying the speed limit on the street is not weeny. Especially if you drive a car that calls attention to itself. *see vette.
It is called trying not to get a ticket. Street racing is not courage... it's stupid.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:53 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

What a troll...

as noted above - obeying traffic laws is not being a pussy - it's surviving to kick you ass the next day - or perhaps give a ride home when your car is impounded cuz you thought running a 15s 1/4 on the street is "bad a$$"....

And for your benefit I will repost this little bit of "how badly we drive" (No - I am not driving either of these cars)

http://beyondthequarter.com/runoffs.wmv

http://www.iamjdub.com/jrod_1067.WMV
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:48 AM   #4
666fast
Regular User

I'm sure that quite a few people buy Corvettes just to have a Corvette. Not everyone who has a Corvette is a hardcore racing junkie. There are plenty of people who beat the tar out of their vettes though.
In the summer months, I see Corvettes on an almost daily basis. But I also see quite a few of them everytime I go to a local track event.

The only thing I think was correct in your post is that you haven't met the right Corvette owner.

BTW, Welcome to JabbasWorld!
Old 02-23-2004, 11:12 AM   #5
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

a lot of the vette drivers in my area are pretty cool. none of them are under 40, but no real jerks or egos. no speeding or "under speeding" going on. i find that the stingray corvettes from the 60's are the ones that attract the wankers. a lot of the people that drive classic vettes are real hoity-toity.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
scumhookleo
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
What a troll...

as noted above - obeying traffic laws is not being a pussy - it's surviving to kick you ass the next day - or perhaps give a ride home when your car is impounded cuz you thought running a 15s 1/4 on the street is "bad a$$"....
Heh heh. A pom took the bait. How satisfying...

Acutally, I can totally understand not doing 40 over the limit when you're driving a cop-magnet. My point was that 'vette drivers (in my experience) tend to drive under the limit, and when faced with a nice corner that they could legally enjoy without slowing down, throw out the anchors and run crying home to mommy (or mummy, depending on what side of the pond you're on).

Personally, I stick with the flow of traffic, which in LA is usually either 15 above, or moving a a fast walk

I look forward to meeting the right 'vette owner, and enjoying what is one of the best sports cars available (especially when you factor in the price).
Old 02-23-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by scumhookleo
Originally Posted by RC45
What a troll...

Heh heh. A pom took the bait. How satisfying...

Acutally, I can totally understand not doing 40 over the limit when you're driving a cop-magnet. My point was that 'vette drivers (in my experience) tend to drive under the limit, and when faced with a nice corner that they could legally enjoy without slowing down, throw out the anchors and run crying home to mommy (or mummy, depending on what side of the pond you're on).

Personally, I stick with the flow of traffic, which in LA is usually either 15 above, or moving a a fast walk

I look forward to meeting the right 'vette owner, and enjoying what is one of the best sports cars available (especially when you factor in the price).
Yeah - a pom - whatever...

You slung an insult and trolled for a flame - don't try recoil now....

Consider where you are... the "pose" capital of the known universe.

Everything you have around is fake.

The woman - the chique - the class... and yes the amount of posers, ricers and wannabees is counter per capita.

Besides - I take no offense at your comment - I don't even drive a Corvette (look up hair-dresser mobile in the dictionary - see the picture of the auto- Vette 'Vert for cruising Rodeo Drive) - I drive a Z06 - Big difference.. LOL
Old 02-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #8
scumhookleo
Regular User

I'm starting to really like these forums!!!

I'll be seeing my z06 friend tomorrow and I'll pass on your best regards...
Old 02-23-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
coloradosilver
Regular User

The majority of us who buy the car drive it the way it was meant to be driven. Yes, some people do buy corvettes just as a novelty item, but the more you get involved with the Corvette Clubs and Teams that are out there, you will realize that MANY of us who own these cars do drive them, and drive them hard. I usualy obey the speed limit on public roads just for the sake of not getting a ticket. I really don't street race unless it's with a Viper or Cobra or something else thats vaguely worth my time. I just laugh at pretty much anything made in Japan and just let them drive off, unless it's a Supra. But get me on a road track or the 1/4 and I just love to open a can of whoop ass on any other competator.

As far as all Corvette owners being weenies: :fist:
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:53 PM   #10
godspeed06
Regular User

what the hell is this guys problem. first of all, no one gives a shit about your very limited observations. second of all, someone driving the speed limit in a fast car is not wrong. they are pretty much showing that they are not posers. they don't have to go fast on public roads because everyone knows they can go fast. people with civics and shit all fly down the road trying to look badass because their cars are not inherently fast like vettes. why are you bashing on corvette owners anyway. there are just as many ferrari and lambo owners that buy them and keep them in the garage. there are way more vettes on the track than ferraris and lambos so i don't see why you should just go after the vettes. its just a shitty thread man. just shitty...
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:27 PM   #11
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by godspeed06
what the hell is this guys problem. first of all, no one gives a shit about your very limited observations. second of all, someone driving the speed limit in a fast car is not wrong. they are pretty much showing that they are not posers. they don't have to go fast on public roads because everyone knows they can go fast. people with civics and shit all fly down the road trying to look badass because their cars are not inherently fast like vettes. why are you bashing on corvette owners anyway. there are just as many ferrari and lambo owners that buy them and keep them in the garage. there are way more vettes on the track than ferraris and lambos so i don't see why you should just go after the vettes. its just a shitty thread man. just shitty...
agreed
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:43 PM   #12
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Well being Toronto most Vettes I see are automatic. Put it which ever way you want it, but auto tells me only one thing. Your a lazy as bitch who really does not enjoy driving. I see it in a Merc but in a sports car?

The ones that are not automatic, I always see them cruise down the street in 1st with revs up high, and its usualy some 20year guy who's daddy is rich, and hes on the verge of stalling every stop. Seems that all he wants to do is make a lot of noise. Just like those fagets in Civics.

The only true DRIVERS in Vettes are the Z06 owners. I saw quite a few, and all of them really appreciate the car, and give it some willy on the street.

Again these are limited obsevations, but thats the conclusions I came to.

But that doesnt go for vettes only. There are quite a few exotic owners who are assholes also.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:13 AM   #13
scumhookleo
Regular User

Nicely put SFD.

I'm not saying that you have to thrash the shit out of your precious little 'vette every minute of the day, and I'm certainly not defending Ferrari or Lambo drivers who pootle around at 10 under all day either; my point was simply that if you buy a sports car, drive it like a sports car - otherwise just buy a Camry and get out of the way (or, as the case may be, drive faster).

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when I pass a Corvette around a corner in my Buick, and I've still got plenty in reserve...

By the way, if you don't like my opinions, then you're quite welcome to get stuffed and have a nice day.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:48 AM   #14
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by scumhookleo

By the way, if you don't like my opinions, then you're quite welcome to get stuffed and have a nice day.
I have better idea.. --- bring your Buick on down to Texas and let's gedidawwn...
Old 02-24-2004, 12:58 AM   #15
scumhookleo
Regular User

Whooo hooo!!!

The battle of the blown Buick vs the Texican Vette!! They'll be talking about this epic match for at least 3 minutes after it's over...

By the way, I used to own a RZ250 back in OZ (your TZR sig brought back some memories). Scared myself shitless a number of times. There's nothing like a 2-stroke hitting powerband to bring a tear to the eye (especially if your visor's not down properly).