Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 02-03-2004, 03:10 AM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default 1995 Corvette ZR-1 best vette ... ever?

does anybody know what the skidpad for this vehicle is. its also faster then a z06 despite what the published numbers say. redline is higher, torque curve is longer.
on a second thought, it would be really funny to put the black widdow [350 cid about 550hp*] in a fiat (any of them)... im not sure if the tires would go up in a ball of smoke and flame, or if the frame would twist?

*LT-5
Old 02-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
godspeed06
Regular User

i like the 2004 Z06 the best. in black of course.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:21 PM   #3
DurangoBob
Regular User

The ZR-1 was a very very cool car, but so is the ZO6. But I would much rather have the Callaway Sledgehammer! 800 very streetable HP. top speed of 254 mph, and it is quick too! Plus it handels well and gives a nice ride!

D-Bob
DurangoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:39 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

z06 is great, dont get me wrong cause i love the car (and perfer its exterior styling). but the zr1 has the engine, and top end the stock z06 doesnt. but as always, its always a battle for looks/straight/lateral accelleration the Sledgehammer is awsome, check out the linginfelter TT vette done back in 2000 i believe 0-60 in an unbelievable 1.97 seconds, and as you say, very streetable
Old 02-06-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
Defiler
Regular User

Originally Posted by DurangoBob
The ZR-1 was a very very cool car, but so is the ZO6. But I would much rather have the Callaway Sledgehammer! 800 very streetable HP. top speed of 254 mph, and it is quick too! Plus it handels well and gives a nice ride!

D-Bob
And you forgot a 0-60 in 2.9sec. Holy carap that was a fast car. But 400K?!?!?! No thanks.
Defiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
yg60m
Regular User

I like it a lot too, lot of caracter, THE engine (elaborated by Lotus) and a great look.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:35 AM   #7
BlackTransWS6
Regular User

I agree with nthfinity, the LT5 was a kickass motor. You can pick up that lingenfelter package at much less than 400k, so in the supercar arena, im gonna go with ligenfelter. Check out his website, its kickass.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:41 AM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by yg60m
I like it a lot too, lot of caracter, THE engine (elaborated by Lotus) and a great look.
dont you mean Mercury Motors?
Old 02-08-2004, 01:58 AM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by yg60m
dont you mean Mercury Motors?
Lotus designed, and Mercury Marine built.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
CMonakar
Regular User

It's only a matter of time before someone drops a tweaked dohc caddy XLR motor into the C6.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:09 PM   #11
Nemisis8u
Regular User

Originally Posted by ccarlisi
It's only a matter of time before someone drops a tweaked dohc caddy XLR motor into the C6.
Why would any one do a dumb ass thing like that? The new engine aleady makes 400hp. That is the last thing I see any one doing. Why would you downgrade? Oh I get, because it is pushrod and does not have 4 valves per cylinder :roll:

Edit: Sweet car BTW

"Well, we don't care how bad-ass some dude's naturally aspirated Honda S2000 motor is; if you go up against 900-plus pushrod ponies and 750 pounds of earth-shaking torque with a wrong-wheel-drive econobox, you're gonna get a fast and furious old-school ass-whipping."
-=Car Craft=-
Nemisis8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:18 AM   #12
FoxFour
Regular User

The only thing that really did the ZR1 was that it looked too much like an ordinary 'Vette. Which in my opinion, was a good thing ( sucker someone approaching at a stoplight, for instance) If you looked at the car from the rear, though, those rear flared fenders with the ultra-wide tires really stuck out, so to speak, even more so in a yellow ZR-1. And yes, the ZR-1 engine was engineered by Lotus and built by Mercury Marine , because of their expertise in building aluminum engines. I also remember the problems that customers had with their engines, and the only way that these engines could be serviced was by shipping them back to Mercury for repairs. Imagine the anger that these customers must have experienced after they have learned that their local dealership had mechanics that were not experienced in these sort of engines!
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:41 PM   #13
mustang07
Regular User

I like the 1971 454 corvettes with 425 horsepower. The options either the ZR1 or ZR2 packages, basically for track racing. Two of the rarest options that year. In Mulsanne Blue.
mustang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:17 PM   #14
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

i prefer the styling of the Z06 to the ZR-1, but the ZR-1 is a pretty wicked little package. i never liked the look of any of the C4 cars, but the sleeper potential is very high.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:13 PM   #15
number77
Regular User

well. i don't know about the best, but the best of its time, most definitely. the engine was a masterpiece. we're talking about 4 cams. very advanced for its time. the only problem would be finding someone certified to work on it, lol
number77 is offline   Reply With Quote