Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 06-04-2005, 10:53 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Caplax40
Originally Posted by Minacious
Originally Posted by Caplax40

My choice for value for money is BMW's M3. It's a few thousand more than a fully optioned C5 Vette, but it seats four, has an available F1 transmission, looks fantastic, turns heads, excels in all aspects of performance, and draws on a motorsport heritage that is few and far between in the auto industry.
Turns heads? Really? The M3 is about as common as a Honda Civic over here. I also wouldn't say it seats four. Unless the back seat occupants are no taller than 5 foot 6. The styling, though I would consider bland, is in the eye of the beholder so I can't fault you there.
I'm sure geographical location plays a huge part, but where I live it's pretty much American car-central. Vette's and Mustang's are so abundant, that they practically blend in with the rest of the traffic. An M3 or other nice foreign car stick out like a sore thumb.
You know you are exagerating for effect - considering they only sold on average 30,000 C5 Vettes a year - TOTAL - for world consumption, with about 7,000 being Z06's (comapred to 100,000+ Mustangs), Corvettes may not be rare, but they are outnumbered by about 100:1 by other cars on the road - do yourself a favour one day and count how many cars you see a day, and then how few are Corvettes - or even BMW M3's or erecdes SLK's or Boxters.

We thnk there are a lot - but there are not.

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

What about the 612? Everyone says that it feels like a 550, or rather handles like a nimble little sports car.
Well - it's so far out of my price range that would just be an excercise in speculation
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #17
Caplax40
Regular User

You know you are exagerating for effect...
No I'm not. I just went outside and counted 239,047,390,824,639,284 cars and of those 2,487,459,873,496 were Corvettes, 89,789 were Ferrari Enzo's, 12,043 were Honda Civics running 9's, there were 15 Mercury Marauder's, 9,120,985,343 Buick Park Avenues and there was one unicorn making a three-point turn in a cul-de-sac. The unicorn was soon pulled over for neighing too loudly and received a $32,376 ticket for noise violation.

Okay, I'm done playing.
Caplax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:50 AM   #18
blah
Regular User

good job RC i blame you for this argument.

M3 is a performance car
Z06 is a super car at a performance cars price.
big difference.

Sure the Z06 will be worth half its price in 3 years but thats ok. You dont buy that car for resale value, or head turning looks. You buy it to have a great track/road car for a reasonable price.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #19
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

sweet, i saw that video the other day on edmunds, and i love this car. also thanks for the new info, cant wait to start seeing some road tests and comparison tests of this beast!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #20
ARMAN
Regular User

I Love the car. Is it a big difference in price between M3 and stock C6 in US? Here its almost the same price, Z06 will be even more expensive

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #21
jpatino03
Regular User

Say what you want, it seriously hustles around the track, sounds great, looks gorgeous and (apparently) is eminently driveable. On top of that its something that's attainable. Who cares if there are tons of them on the road, if you're worried about exclusivity, then quite frankly, you're a jackass.

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #22
RC45
Regular User

And the "tons on the road" will still only be about 7000 for the entire production run over the next 3 or 4 years - that should adress the snobs..
Old 06-05-2005, 11:20 PM   #23
5vz-fe
Regular User

I'll take a z06 over a M3 anyday ...I'll however give a second thought when it is a M5. I am a pratical person, that's why the question "how many days in a year does a M3 carry 4 ppl" raised up instantly. As someone said, Corvette, especially the Z06 is a supercar in performance, and that usually overcome its flaw in interior finish, insurance and well brandname importance.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:05 AM   #24
gogglibear

Originally Posted by blah
not trying to bring anything up but by todays standards of a supercar its more of a super sports car. 0-60 at 3.3 1/4 mile at 11.2 and a nice top speed of 212 is a supercar. But the real specs of the Z06 hasn't been officialy released so no arguements here.
gogglibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:43 AM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by gogglibear
not trying to bring anything up but by todays standards of a supercar its more of a super sports car. 0-60 at 3.3 1/4 mile at 11.2 and a nice top speed of 212 is a supercar. But the real specs of the Z06 hasn't been officialy released so no arguements here.
Seems like people will do anything to down play the Z06... even trying to split hairs.

Where did you get these arbitrary numbers from? :roll:
Old 06-06-2005, 01:02 AM   #26
5vz-fe
Regular User

Forged-steel crankshaft
Forged-steel main-bearing caps
Titanium connecting rods
Forged pistons
Dry-sump oiling system
Sodium-filled valve stems

500bhp@6200rpm
475ft-lb@4800 rpm

14.0-inch front rotor, six pistons and six individual brake pads
13.4-inch rear rotor, four pistons and four individual brake pads

Weight 3150 lb
__________________________________________________ ________
By all means, those are supercar ingredients to me. The corvette never has a high top speed, but that is 1/3 of what u will be paying if buying supercar brands.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:52 AM   #27
godspeed06
Regular User

where i live m3s and amgs are more abundant than z06s. in fact a few days ago, an SLR (yes the mclaren) came to the same stop sign at the same time i did, i almost shat my pants. people just seem to buy the expensive car here bc its expensive. ive seen a bentley continental gt and a murcielago also within a few days. ive seen very few C6s, i think one blue and one white. dont make me count the boxsters... it would take years.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:05 AM   #28
gogglibear

Originally Posted by RC45
Seems like people will do anything to down play the Z06... even trying to split hairs.

actually those are the official performance numbers from the Ford GT but I'm just saying that cars have been moved up a notch. there are alot more cars that go 0 to 60 in 5 seconds and sub latlley and its just fair to say that a car needs to have higher performance numbers to be in a class nowadays.

but i'll qoute myself.

But the real specs of the Z06 hasn't been officialy released so no arguements here
gogglibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:27 AM   #29
nthfinity
Regular User

actually those are the official performance numbers from the Ford GT but I'm just saying that cars have been moved up a notch. there are alot more cars that go 0 to 60 in 5 seconds and sub latlley and its just fair to say that a car needs to have higher performance numbers to be in a class nowadays.

but i'll qoute myself.

But the real specs of the Z06 hasn't been officialy released so no arguements here
i dont often make huge quote posts... but here goes one

first, the Ford GT is a 150k supercar... and i love it, and given that i have the money to buy it or the new Z, i will take it. in what way is the FGT standard????!!! 5 seconds to 60 mph is still quite fast... to me saying that 3.x seconds to 60 means that more morons will be killing themselves on the road... seriously, 4.x seconds to 60 is extreamly fast, and hard to control in any car i have ever been in.

the FGT is no standard.. i would offer that the ferrari 355 is still the standard supercar, and in no way will you see it matched by the likes of a clio V6, 350 Z, or Mustang GT. straight line accelleration is only part of the story.

as far as official specs of the Z06, hows this for starters 505hp (508 by my sources) hell, the car hasnt even yet been tested at the Nordschlife yet... let alone, 0 press cars are available... and even when they are, almost always are they dumbed down from the production variant (months of further testing) the more i learn about the new Z, the more i love it! how can any true enthusiast not? what the 'king of the hill' seems ot have done is take his thrown once again with the new Z. as far as i'm concerned, this is the car that will represent this decade, as well as america's other answer to exotic cars.

i also expect a fair amount of these Z's to be modified for club-sport activities specifically... which i base largely on closeness to racing chassis from C4 compared now to the C6
Old 06-06-2005, 02:28 AM   #30
5vz-fe
Regular User

but i'll qoute myself.

There's only so much grip to street tires, and 3.x seconds is as fast as street legal cars with proper interior goes, so is 11.x 1/4mile time. Yes, most supercar has a high topspeed and as I said in my previous post, corvette is not good at it. What we should focus on is conering ability, braking and the balance of the whole car and corvette has been doing very good in these areas, I'd say when proper review comes out, the z06 will be everbit as good (if not better) than the Ford GT