Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 01-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #31
RC45
Regular User

^^^ not to mention that the very heritage and mystique of the Corvette is in part because it has always and should always be a fibreglass/plastic matrix bodied car... (now getting a couple extra carbon fibre bits).

The Corvette is closer to it's roots than the 911 is.. and has been in continuous production longer.. and still kicks it's ass..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:22 AM   #32
5vz-fe
Regular User

When it comes to the Corvette, I found it most ppl either love it or hate it...but I am kinda in the middle...I respect it in a way beocz of it's capabilities, but I will more likely to go with the Porsche becoz of personal preference.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:19 AM   #33
RC45
Regular User

This is what all the fuss is about.

500-normally-aspirated-hp --- and who knows how much potential considering the 12 degree included valve angle and 370cfm flow rate - all this with the same cam spec as in my 2001 Z06...

Take this and shove it in your double over head cam hp/l junker...
Old 01-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #34
Z28
Regular User

No complaints on the looks from me. If GM designed the C6 in an attempt to appeal to the Europeans then those who run GM are bunch of funny fuckers because from what I hear the C6 will only be lefthand drive.
Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #35
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
y, the cheap plastic linings will pass with the American market, and did I mention the plastic body?
What the heck does cheap plastic lineing or body matter? This is a performance sports car.. You want luxury go buy a mercedes.. The elise doesnt exactly have fine leather in its interior yet you dont bash it.. Remember the cars point.. To be as fast as possible for as little money as possible while at least being somewhat liveable for the occassional daily drive.
Hell.. think of it as a slightly more expensive elise with more storage capacity..
Heck.. wanna go through the other performance cars with shitty interiors that are great performers? The line starts behind the wrx.. we'll be here all nite.
You didnt notice the sarcasm in that post did you?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #36
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
^^^ not to mention that the very heritage and mystique of the Corvette is in part because it has always and should always be a fibreglass/plastic matrix bodied car... (now getting a couple extra carbon fibre bits).

The Corvette is closer to it's roots than the 911 is.. and has been in continuous production longer.. and still kicks it's ass..
Thats great and all, but it lost one of its most noticible features and thats price...
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:31 PM   #37
coloradosilver
Regular User

nearly $20,000
Basing this on what?

According to road and track or auto week projected price is in the 62500- 65000 range..
Thats less then a 10000 dollar increase from where im standing.

And yeah the car does cost chevy more to build.

you get alot more then 95 hp..
try carbon fiber hood, magnesium frame, dry sump oil pump, 100 lbs lighter, stiffer suspension.

By your arguement you should be up in arms with porsche over the gt3.
$65K from where you're standing? You must be standing on another world!

That might be the Suggested MSRP from Chevrolet....But you can bet that dealers will be charging at least 10K over that price.

Even with the Carbon hood (you can get one for about $800) to replace the stock hood on a C5. (Minus the 300 you get for the old one means that costs about $500)

The suspension...dry sump...lighter...and the stiffer (ancient stone age leaf spring) suspension just doesn't justify the cost.

Much better used cars out there that don't have the horrible Chevrolet Build Quality for the same amount of money.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:47 PM   #38
graywolf624
Regular User

That might be the Suggested MSRP from Chevrolet....But you can bet that dealers will be charging at least 10K over that price. I have no sympathy for anyone who doesnt wait for at least the second year a car is out.
The dealers are a seperate issue, not related too gm.. and they will taper off if you can wait a year or two after its released.
The suspension...dry sump...lighter...and the stiffer (ancient stone age leaf spring) suspension just doesn't justify the cost.

Much better used cars out there that don't have the horrible Chevrolet Build Quality for the same amount of money.
Name more then 1 that will keep up with it in performance for that type of money.. Who cares if its ancient leaf spring.. You dont buy a car for how they achieve the end goal.. you buy it for it performing well. Otherwise you might as well be one of those hsp per liter dip shit and buy a honda.

Yes that stuff does justify the price.. Things like dry sump are alot more expensive then you think.. and a production carbon fiber hood.. think more like 1200..
The block.. the street version you could buy up to a few years ago.. was 20000 just for the engine. A magnesium frame.. on a production car.. we're talking stuff thats never been done before on a production mainstream car.. Thats what makes it so impressive. I wish some of you could see how much it costs for some of these parts.. simple changes of moving a gas tank cost millions in r&d.

If you dont like it .. buy a c6.. its as fast as the outgoing z06 but 10000 less.

As for build quality.. actually the car is damn reliable overall.. The only thing you can complain about is interior and exterior build quality.. that isnt what the car is about.. yet again..
look at the porsche gt3.. and the lotus elise..
Two other cars where you pay more to get less.. why.. because the end result is a car that gives you shivers from its abilities.

Hell.. look at my favorite car of all time.. the f40.. They barely painted the damn thing.. it has gaps in pannels that could swallow a finger.. But it does what its meant to do.. perform.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:17 PM   #39
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Z28
No complaints on the looks from me. If GM designed the C6 in an attempt to appeal to the Europeans then those who run GM are bunch of funny fuckers because from what I hear the C6 will only be lefthand drive.
Well - many countries outside the USA are left hand drive..
Old 01-14-2005, 11:24 PM   #40
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
nearly $20,000
Basing this on what?

According to road and track or auto week projected price is in the 62500- 65000 range..

try carbon fiber hood, magnesium frame, dry sump oil pump, 100 lbs lighter, stiffer suspension.

That might be the Suggested MSRP from Chevrolet....But you can bet that dealers will be charging at least 10K over that price.

Even with the Carbon hood (you can get one for about $800) to replace the stock hood on a C5. (Minus the 300 you get for the old one means that costs about $500)

Latest word is that the C6 Z06 is intended to be about 20% of C6 production - much like the C5 Z06.

This might mean the price is going to be a lot closer to $60K than first thought - considering they may struggle to sell 7000 cars a year at $70K+ each.

GM would make money selling 7000 at $60K or so - versus the Viper method of profit.. sell a few at $80K...

At $60K and 7000 per year - you would begin to see used C6 Z06's in the $40K range withing 18 months.

Suddenly the car becomes ULTIMATE bang per dollar - even surpasing the C5 Z06 - and pretty much blowing EVRYTHING else out of the water.

As has been said before - the 2001 385hp and 2002+ 405hp C5 Z06's smash P911's P911TT's, F360's and F360CS's on the street - hell they even kick Gallardo ass..

The C6 Z06 is going to be embarrasing yuppies from coast to coast.. LA to NY..

I still don't want one - but know what is represents.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:16 AM   #41
sentra_dude

Why not...? Just because of the styling? You say a modified C5 Z06 can easily match the C6, but so what, 7.0L is a lot more to work with than 5.7L. Just wondering, not an attack on your C5 lol.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:04 AM   #42
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Why not...? Just because of the styling? You say a modified C5 Z06 can easily match the C6, but so what, 7.0L is a lot more to work with than 5.7L. Just wondering, not an attack on your C5 lol.
The C6 coupe is not quite a match for the C5 Z06.. I wouldn't even consider the coupe... although I am sure you meant C6 Z06... but just being sure..

Stroker crank, lumpy cam and tuning gets you 470+rwhp... all for less than the money down on a new C6 Z...

The C6 Z looks to plain jane and docile... much like an expensive station wagon..
Old 01-15-2005, 02:08 AM   #43
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
nearly $20,000
Basing this on what?

Latest word is that the C6 Z06 is intended to be about 20% of C6 production - much like the C5 Z06.

This might mean the price is going to be a lot closer to $60K than first thought - considering they may struggle to sell 7000 cars a year at $70K+ each.

GM would make money selling 7000 at $60K or so - versus the Viper method of profit.. sell a few at $80K...

At $60K and 7000 per year - you would begin to see used C6 Z06's in the $40K range withing 18 months.

Suddenly the car becomes ULTIMATE bang per dollar - even surpasing the C5 Z06 - and pretty much blowing EVRYTHING else out of the water.

As has been said before - the 2001 385hp and 2002+ 405hp C5 Z06's smash P911's P911TT's, F360's and F360CS's on the street - hell they even kick Gallardo ass..

The C6 Z06 is going to be embarrasing yuppies from coast to coast.. LA to NY..

If I can pick one up 2 years from now for about 40K, you're damn skippy I'll have one in my garage!, But I think most people will be quite hesitent to sell at that low of a price even if it is only woth that when they pay close to 25 - 30K more than that when they bought it new.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:09 AM   #44
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
The C6 coupe is not quite a match for the C5 Z06.. I wouldn't even consider the coupe... although I am sure you meant C6 Z06... but just being sure..

Stroker crank, lumpy cam and tuning gets you 470+rwhp... all for less than the money down on a new C6 Z...

The C6 Z looks to plain jane and docile... much like an expensive station wagon..
Yea, I meant C6 Z06. Yah, but why go to the trouble of modifying your C5 when you can buy the C6 with nearly that much power stock (and better brakes and suspension already built in), with room for much more?

The C5 (both normal and Z06) looks boring in comparison to the C6. Although I haven't seen a C6 Z06 in person, it looks to be even better looking than the standard C6, and definitely not docile (station wagon? are you nuts? )...I don't know where you got that from in the C6!

How about this...if you had the money to buy a new C6 Z06 or a 2004 C5 Z06 (a barely used one, near full price) would you still go with the C5?

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #45
graywolf624
Regular User

But I think most people will be quite hesitent to sell at that low of a price even if it is only woth that when they pay close to 25 - 30K more than that when they bought it new.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but go look at the price of a 2 year old z06 or camaro..
15k-20k depreciation is normal. They already are doing the same thing you mentioned.. especially the early adopters who picked it up when dealers were gouging.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote