Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-21-2004, 02:49 PM   #16
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by ikon2003
"Built Ford Tough"

Recall huh thats some big news! Since this car has been selling like cakes everywhere!
Old 12-21-2004, 03:16 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pimpracer
"Built Ford Tough"

Recall huh thats some big news! Since this car has been selling like cakes everywhere!
Hot seller means nothing really.. they sell every Cavalier they make.. doesn't mean that it's a good car...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:31 PM   #18
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by pimpracer
"Built Ford Tough"

Hot seller means nothing really.. they sell every Cavalier they make.. doesn't mean that it's a good car...
Yeah but I mean this is a 140000 USD machine and this is way beyond that the price of a 12000 USD Cavalier (Sorry if my price for the Cavalier is wrong) But anyways what I am trying to say is making a car so great that people are paying over the MSRP is just astounding! (SP?)
Old 12-21-2004, 07:07 PM   #19
graywolf624
Regular User

it's not like other companies are immune to recalls.
Yeah, but unfortunately, ford seems to be developing a reputation for this on their performance cars.. Lest we forget the problems with the last run of mustang cobras. They are barely surviving as it is, and dont need yet another headache.

But anyways what I am trying to say is making a car so great that people are paying over the MSRP is just astounding! (SP?)
That doesn't make it great either. Lest I point to the new beatle, pt cruiser, or recent gen tbird.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:22 PM   #20
5vz-fe
Regular User

I really don't recall Ferrari having these kind of problems........

This is also a big shame to their "FORD, BUILT TOUGH" advertisement.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:35 PM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
I really don't recall Ferrari having these kind of problems........
You just wont see Ferrari handled as a "recall" - it will be a "recommended performance upgrade"..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #22
FoxFour
Regular User

Just remember kids, don't be tempted to buy the first year of any brand car.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #23
sameerrao
Regular User

This will alos not be the last recall.. you will see ones for engine components and body panels etc etc.
I think there was some recall earlier with reg to the 5.4 l engine - affected F150, and other cars and trucks incl the FGT

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:00 PM   #24
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by antonioledesma
ZfrkS62,yes, those famous heat treatments are responsible for almost all failures. But we wont know what is the specific problem, maybe could be the 18 months, which aren't enough to develop a car
I don't know if Ford updates their bulliteins or anything, but BMW will explain what caused the failure when they find out. If Ford does this too, anyone who has access to the recall notice should be able to clear it up when it comes out.

Field Development is never the way to perfect a car. Just look at the intial reactions to the quality of the E65/66. Shareholders demanded the new 7 series be released before BMW had a chance to properly R&D. Soooo....programming produced issues, problems arose during programming causing the cars to stay longer, which in turn pissed off owners. Now that the programming issues have been mainly resolved (updates still required though now it's more like the "Windows has updates and are ready to install" message you get occasionaly with XP.)

Why? Because just as GM does - Ford would have squeezed the supplier to lower their price for the part/parts to rock bottom.
Just remember, no matter what kind of car you drive, you're sitting on parts all made by the lowest bidder

You just wont see Ferrari handled as a "recall" - it will be a "recommended performance upgrade"
no no no...recall=required..therefore, "REQUIRED performance upgrade" i think that's a bit more apt to get owners flocking in

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:29 PM   #25
antonioledesma
Regular User

Originally Posted by FoxFour
seems the car industry will follow the software... just as the popular advice not to install any kind of software that is completely new (I still don't download the service pack 2 for win xp)
Too bad that this can't be used with all cars, limited editions.
With my laptop came a free wifi card... a shitty 3com somewhat... version 1.0 and I don't get at all times the wifi signal even when I'm below the antenna.
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:39 PM   #26
Vansquish
Regular User

SP2 has been pretty widely accepted as far as I know. My brother, the nerdiest computer nerd I know (we call him "the guru" in my family) thinks it's definetely worthwhile to Windows users, but he prefers Linux on his own machine hehe.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:41 PM   #27
evoWalo
Regular User

That'll make waiting for the E90 even harder. It is true though about first year of newly updated cars. I only know of headaches with my C class.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:22 PM   #28
FordGTGuy

i can't believe how ignorant some of you guys are being. They did say component but they also said supplier that means the component made by that brand is defected it doesn't mean Ford made a bad car or with bad materials.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:33 PM   #29
666fast
Regular User

Fixed
Or
Repaired
Daily

I think there was some recall earlier with reg to the 5.4 l engine - affected F150, and other cars and trucks incl the FGT
Was that the spark plug fiasco? I remember hearing about it on the news not too long ago. The threads on the plug itself we too short and the plugs would blow out of the engine.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:44 PM   #30
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWALO
That'll make waiting for the E90 even harder. It is true though about first year of newly updated cars. I only know of headaches with my C class.
but the key is, the E90 has been in development for some time and will be using the same technology as the Z4 and maybe a little more from the E60. The E46 has already recieved a final facelift for '05 (one peice headlight/turnsignal) so the E90 is ready to make it's appearance 8)

The only possible problems i can see will be minor issues with the turbocharger on the 330's. and possibly the magnesium block's reaction to certain regions here. but that remains to be seen.

Originally Posted by 666fast
The threads on the plug itself we too short and the plugs would blow out of the engine.
"honey, what was that noise?"
"i don't know.but how long have these holes been in the hood?"
"what holes? maybe they have something to do with the glowing streaks the just flew out that side of the truck..."

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote