Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 04-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #16
Max Power

remember to visit Central Perk while in NYC
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:03 AM   #17
TT
Regular User

No time now actually, but noticed you'll pass through Lugano and I might be there actually. We could maybe meet there, who knows...
Old 04-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #18
stradale
Regular User

I don't visit Amsterdam too often, so I have no restaurants, pubs etc. to recommend. About the hotels, I'll ask a friend of mine for you. She worked in the hotel business and lives in Amsterdam. Perhaps she knows some good ones for backpackers.

PM me if you want to meet up. If we can make it happen, I'll buy you a drink as a thank you for making this great sig!
Old 04-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #19
jon_s
Regular User

Dude, just read this ops: A bit late. But when I get a moment, I will add my London thoughts
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:55 PM   #20
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Well after searching the net a bit, I think I have narrowed my sightseeing in london a bit...I have decided to go to these places (if there's time of course):

1. The London Eye, the ride takes just 30 min and you get to see all London from the sky, I hear the best time to go is when it's getting dark and you get to see the Parliament light up.

2. The Tower of London, I have always loved medieval history, and so many cruel stories lie within those walls. I read it takes about 4 hours to take the tour but I guess it's worth it, plus the crown jewels are there so that might be interesting too.

3. Parliament & Big Ben, I don't know if it's worth going inside but I will walk around them for sure.

4. Tower Bridge, well I have to go there since it's one of London's most famous sites, but I don't know if it's worth going all the way up.

5. Natural History Museum, I have always been a nature buff and I have always wanted to see dinosaurs.

6. Westminster Abbey, I read it is a must see and that it is one of the most wonderful pieces of architecture in the world.

8. St. Paul's Cathedral

7. Trafalgar Square & London's various Parks.

What do you think? now I don't know if there'll be time for more stuff or even all that, but opinions are always welcome.

Is the Macca F1 still on display in the London dealer? any automotive museums and that sort of stuff there?

Now I have a question about transportation, after London I need to get to Paris, I know the most convenient way is to take the Eurostar, according to their website, a Eurail pass holder's one way ticket costs GBP 50 which is around USD 90 and that's a lot compared to an airplane ride with easyjet to Paris which cost merely GBP 22 or USD 40, but then I'd have to take a bus or train to London Luton Airport at 3am to be able to catch the flight that leaves at 6:45am, are there buses or trains at those hours in London? how much do they cost? do you think the savings are worth the hassle of all this?

And then I would have to get back to London from Amsterdam and that's another dilemma.

Sorry for the rant, I'm kinda frustrated!...

I think my best bet is to take the Eurostar from Paris to London, and then take the easyjet which cost a mere USD26 back to London from Amsterdam at the end of my trip...what do you think?

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #21
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Chaos in 1983!

TT sadly Lussanne or Geneva for that matter is a bit far away, since we are visiting some family in Zurich going all the way there would throw us off course...thanks for the invitation though!...
Ah nono, I mean I will be in Ticino, between Lugano and Mendrisio during summer, most of the time so much easier to cross ways
Old 04-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #22
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Sant Paul's Cathedral - don't forget to go up to the top of the dome... there're some IMPRESSIVE views of the city from there - so impressive that I hardly could step into the small narrow balcony
LOL! I know the feeling. However, the thing about St Paul's that I was most impressed with, was the wispering gallery. It's the inside ring of the dome and when you sit next to the wall you can wisper and another person on the other side of the dome can hear you loud and clear because of the acoustics. You have to try it to believe it.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #23
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Alright bitches...it is time! I'm leaving in 7 days, and I'm counting the days by the minutes.

I leave on July 11th, and will spend a day in New York, and I'll be in Europe exactly 25 days, from July 13th to August 6th, I have modified my schedule a bit to include Prague since I've been told by friends and relatives that have been there that it is one of Europe's most beutiful cities, so now my route is more or less London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Zurich, Lugano, Monaco/Nice, Barcelona, Madrid and back to London.

dropot and dani, I'll PM you guys or catch dani on msn before I get to Barcelona so we can arrange a mini meet, at least to have a beer somewhere.

TT, now that you moved to Lugano, I'm sure it'll be easier to meet. I'll drop you a PM before I get there or talk to you via msn.

ARMAN, I'm staying in Prague for three nights I think, so I'll PM you as well before I get there.

You'll recognize me when you see a short, white, black haired dude with a huge ass backpack on his back with a JW sticker on it!...damn the JW shirt would've been perfect for this ocation.

So please, shoot your last thoughts on these places please!

Thanks a bunch!

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:57 AM   #24
bultaco_metralla
Regular User

HEY Chaos, if you need something in Madrid, like metro (underground) info, interesting sites, even a visit to the old Jarama if you want hehehe... if you stay in Madrid tell me dude!! and also if youre going to rent a car be carefull cause it has been aproved some new traffic laws and its full of police checking speeds, car documentation, seatbelts etc...
Old 07-05-2006, 05:12 AM   #25
gucom
Regular User

i was in london more or less 2 years ago, the McLaren dealer on Park Lane isn't there anymore, you can only see where the F1 sign used to be on the wall, because it's the only white spot on a wall covered in gray/black smoke dirt

have alot of fun 8)
Old 07-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #26
stradale
Regular User

I e-mailed my friend as promised but haven't heard back. She's now somewhere in Vietnam, so I can't reach her now... Sorry dude. I hope you'll find a good hostel/hotel anyway.

Have a blast!!!