Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 01-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
pagani
Regular User

Thumbs up Pontiac firebird on a road course

Pontiac firebird on pocono road course
F body's rock.
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...oeastclips.flv
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
graywolf624
Regular User

Pontiac firebird on pocono road course
F body's rock.
When I saw this post I almost thought youd posted a video of my personal car.. Then I remembered it was my iroc I tracked at pocono.. not the ta.

Then again, youve miscorrectly labeled the car. That is not a firebird. A firebird is a v6 fbody. That is a formula ws6.

That open track event is actually kind of interesting as they are running the opposite direction from the normal way they run the short course.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
gigdy
Regular User

whered the mustang in the beginning go?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
graywolf624
Regular User

^He didn't make the turn apparently. The Pocono track in an infield course with multiple configurations. So basically they put cones out to keep you from going all the way around the nascar oval and direct you into the infield. He missed the turn and went straight This is the North Course if I remember right.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
When I saw this post I almost thought youd posted a video of my personal car.. Then I remembered it was my iroc I tracked at pocono.. not the ta.

Then again, youve miscorrectly labeled the car. That is not a firebird. A firebird is a v6 fbody. That is a formula ws6.

That open track event is actually kind of interesting as they are running the opposite direction from the normal way they run the short course.
Sorry that did it name it not correct.
So the formula ws6 is the v8 version?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

its a firebird Formula... with WS6 hood... the WS6 was only a package available with the Trans Am... unless gray corrects me But i'm pretty sure.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
its a firebird Formula... with WS6 hood... the WS6 was only a package available with the Trans Am... unless gray corrects me But i'm pretty sure.
So i was right after al.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
graywolf624
Regular User

You could get a WS6 on the formula but they are incredibly rare.
Technically it isn't a firebird formula according to the vin (Actually a very symantical arguement). The Formula and Trans Am are the V8 pontiac fbodies. Firebird is the official GM designation given to the v6. If it says firebird anywhere on the car it's a v6.

The tell tale on a ta is a raised spoiler, ta badging, and fog lights that are in the center. That would definitly be a v8.
A firebird and a formula look identical except the formula has a v8. Its rarer then the TA but also a cheaper car when it comes to amenities.
The WS6 was a package available on the formula and TA. Its a hood scoop (it goes all the way through but doesnt gain anything), a slightly less restricted exhaust (about 5 bhp), and a stiffer suspension (still standard fbody subpar fare).
The car in the picture should have anywhere from 310 to 325 bhp depending on which year 98-2002. My car had 310. Torque should be in the 340 range.

Now that Ive bored you with fbody facts.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
pagani
Regular User

You could get a WS6 on the formula but they are incredibly rare.
Technically it isn't a firebird formula according to the vin (Actually a very symantical arguement). The Formula and Trans Am are the V8 pontiac fbodies. Firebird is the official GM designation given to the v6. If it says firebird anywhere on the car it's a v6.

The tell tale on a ta is a raised spoiler, ta badging, and fog lights that are in the center. That would definitly be a v8.
A firebird and a formula look identical except the formula has a v8. Its rarer then the TA but also a cheaper car when it comes to amenities.
The WS6 was a package available on the formula and TA. Its a hood scoop (it goes all the way through but doesnt gain anything), a slightly less restricted exhaust (about 5 bhp), and a stiffer suspension (still standard fbody subpar fare).
The car in the picture should have anywhere from 310 to 325 bhp depending on which year 98-2002. My car had 310. Torque should be in the 340 range.

Now that Ive bored you with fbody facts.
Ok thanks for the info.
But since you are the expert what means the f in body i kown wath it means
do you kown what it means?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
graywolf624
Regular User

But since you are the expert what means the f in body i kown wath it means
do you kown what it means?
F-body is the gm designation for the chasis platform for the Pontiac and Chevy pony cars since 1967. Its also the 4th digit in the vin, not that thats all that important.

I'm on my second f-body. The first I road raced and open tracked (a third gen Iroc-z 350). I now daily drive a 99 TA. About 5 years ago I had the opportunity to meet the fbod father over the course of several events (Scott Settlemeir). He even drove me out to coffee in the prototype for the Zl1 supercar. I'm quite knowledgeable about the car, at very least it's the car I have the most knowledge about having built a custom suspension for the third gen and been in an fbody club since 2000.

If you have any interest I can talk for hours on the differences for each year, especially 82-2002. Issac found that out much to his regret.

The symantical name distinction is only important because there is some sibling rivalry between camaro/firebird including trim levels. Its not uncommon to see a post on ls1tech with formula or ta is better then formula or ta. It's a bit stupid, but I certainly dont want my car compared to a v6.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
graywolf624
Regular User

Oh did I mention in 1999 when I graduated High School my practical dream car was a 99 ws6 TA. 7 years later at the end of 2006 I bought a non ws6 1999 with 2000 miles on it that I drive daily. In other words some things have come full circle for me on the f-body front rather recently.

Now if only I can fulfill my unpractical dream car from that age.. an f40... Maybe I better keep dreaming.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #12
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

^He didn't make the turn apparently. The Pocono track in an infield course with multiple configurations. So basically they put cones out to keep you from going all the way around the nascar oval and direct you into the infield. He missed the turn and went straight This is the North Course if I remember right.
No i think the car just said "What? a corner? You must be out of your mind im a mustang i dont do that!"
Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #13
79TA
Regular User

Go easy on the guy Gray, all Formula's and TA's are Firebirds. I often call my own car a Firebird despite its being a Firebird Trans Am.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote