Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Svensson
Regular User

Thumbs up GT40 onboard

Here's a great onboard video of a GT40 on a Sunday drive. It also includes some nice passing-by shots.
I'm certainly no expert, but I'd say this is a replica. I love the fact that it has Weber downdraft carbs though, just like the original! The sound is awesome by the way
To me a car like this is definately more desirable than a Ford GT remake.

Enjoy!
Old 11-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Nice - but as far as "old GT40" vs "new GT" - for me its a no-brainer.

Buy the new GT, and remove the supercharged bit of crap behind the seats and put in a nice 427ci pushrod alloy V8 Ford.. oh wait, Ford forgot to make a decent modern light weight pushrod motor - so my "new" Ford GT would have a high HP LS7 out back
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
Svensson
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post

Buy the new GT, and remove the supercharged bit of crap behind the seats and put in a nice 427ci pushrod alloy V8 Ford.. oh wait, Ford forgot to make a decent modern light weight pushrod motor - so my "new" Ford GT would have a high HP LS7 out back
That's also a good option of course

Personally I'd prefer a MK I Superformance GT40 (yeah the South African one ) with a Roush 402IR in the back. Not as powerful as an LS7 but still pretty powerful and lightweight, plus it has that "vintage" look with the individual throttle body induction system with added throaty sound-bonus

Old 11-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
yg60m
Regular User

Thank you, very nice video !! The guy doesn't fear to show its plates ... in France some guys doing such high speed drives and putting it on internet have been charged by the police.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #5
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by Svensson View Post
Not as powerful as an LS7
hehe, only a 5 horsepower difference and that Roush engine makes much more torque (and possibly has a broader powerband). That and the great burble of a Ford V8 sounds like a plenty good deal to me.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by Svensson View Post
That's also a good option of course

Personally I'd prefer a MK I Superformance GT40 (yeah the South African one ) with a Roush 402IR in the back. Not as powerful as an LS7 but still pretty powerful and lightweight, plus it has that "vintage" look with the individual throttle body induction system with added throaty sound-bonus

These are actually quite well done. I saw one of these at a local Ford event. They make the right noises as well.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:10 AM   #7
pterps
Regular User

I had a passenger ride in a Superformance GT40 MKII earlier this year. This car made an enormous impression on me! The smell of petrol, the narrow seats, the low roof (with gurney buble). The sound in this video is similar to what I experienced.
The Superformance GT40's are real well build!

As Finishing Touch, God Created The Dutch..
pterps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
Svensson
Regular User

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
hehe, only a 5 horsepower difference and that Roush engine makes much more torque (and possibly has a broader powerband). That and the great burble of a Ford V8 sounds like a plenty good deal to me.
Yeah, I should've been a bit more specific. I was referring to RC45's Camzilla LS7, which has about 150bhp more

Still, I'd go for the Roush 402IR in this case though.

Originally Posted by pterps View Post
I had a passenger ride in a Superformance GT40 MKII earlier this year. This car made an enormous impression on me! The smell of petrol, the narrow seats, the low roof (with gurney buble). The sound in this video is similar to what I experienced.
The Superformance GT40's are real well build!
Awesome man! Cool to have Europe's only official importer in NL. If Auto Eshuis was a bit closer to my place, I'd definately go for a visit there.
Do you happen to have more pics?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 AM   #9
pterps
Regular User

Mr Eshuis will sell his garage and move to Miami in 2008 with his family. So I am not sure if Superformance import will find a new owner here in Holland.

As Finishing Touch, God Created The Dutch..
pterps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

Ford did make a 427 for the GT... but, it was John Coletti who forced the 'forced induction' option.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
philip
Regular User

I got to see a real honest to god GT40 up close one time. No car I have ever seen since then has matched it even though they were supposed to be the real thing.

I will keep those memories with me my whole life, it made that much of an impression.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #12
Emericaskate
Regular User

The noice! what a soundtrack
Emericaskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
sentra_dude

Excellent vid, thanks for sharing Svensson! I really enjoyed the fly-bys.

While I very much like the new Ford GT, if I had a choice I'd go with the "old" every time. No matter if the new Ford GT is faster, a better handler, better mpg, cleaner, cheaper to maintain, easier to get in, doesn't break down; I would still take an "old" GT40 such as this one:

I assume this is a replica of some type, and jeez it just looks and sounds fantastic! (Does anyone know if that's a replica or a real one?) Way better than the "new" Ford GT.

I definitely respect the Chevy engines, but putting one in a GT40, that would be the ultimate sacrilege in my eyes. I'll take a classic-style Ford (or Roush ) V8 with carbs galore and that wonderful Ford sound even if it means less power!

Originally Posted by yg60m View Post
Thank you, very nice video !! The guy doesn't fear to show its plates ... in France some guys doing such high speed drives and putting it on internet have been charged by the police.
I was thinking the same thing, it seems awfully reckless of him.

Great pics pterps, must have been great fun to get a ride!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote