Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 AM   #1
Apac102
Regular User

Default Comp Problems

For about 2 weeks now my computer has been running really loud because the fan has kept going. It sounds like when you put a cd in to use or your burning a cd and its working overtime. Its just extremely loud and won't shut up. I went in and cleaned out all of the dust that was in it thinking that the comptuer wasn't getting to cool down properly but after i did that the noise continued right back up. I was curious if anyone knows what the problem is and how i can fix it b/c it sounds like at this rate, my computer's life is dwindling fast.
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
exhausted mules
Regular User

could be your HD failing or basicaly just lose parts rattling around from the fans.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

well try listening where its coming from it could be a bad fan (GPU or CPU or just a fan) or maybe your HDD is dying.. anyways if you can afford to, August would be a great time to buy a new PC

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
saadie
Regular User

its not the hard drive ..
the harddrive goes tik tik tik tok ...... when its about to die ....

clean all the fans ..... it might be the power supply fan .. it is the ost annoying of the bunch ....

be good to the computer .
Old 07-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

buy those dusters and spray the power supply and fans, make sure you dont spray for a long time as you lose compression and may shoot liquid. After that, make sure that no cables are close to the fans as they may be rubbing to it and prodosing the sound.

Leave your tower opened, sometimes the walls make the sound. When its oepened and ON, try moving cables and hear where the sound comes from.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Its a desktop or laptop? Could be a broken fan piece. If it goes click or something like that then its the HDD.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
crazidude
Regular User

Stick your finger ontop of all your fans to slow it down to a stop, but don't jab your finger into the actual fan blade. Chances are, the chipset fan is making the noise if you have a chipset fan. Those little bastards are loud.

I think greasing the bearings of your fans will probably stop it from making the noise.

You're rather unlucky if the psu fan is making the noise because those are rather difficult to replace and voids the warranty when you take the unit apart.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

What kind of computer is it? Is the loud noise JUST the fans?

Is the location of your PC hotter than usual? (Hot summer room?)
Old 07-26-2006, 11:49 PM   #9
Apac102
Regular User

Well I have a 2003 Dell Desktop and it is in a hotter place then usual in the summertime. I was suspecting this to be contributing to the problem but i realized that my roomie also has his computer in the same room but his is next to the air conditioning vents. Again, the noise sounds exactly like when you put a cd in the drive and then it speeds up and the fans kick in and it just sounds like its going into warp drive or something. But its does this alot now. I haven't heard any clicking so thank god its not the HD. Ill try what everyone suggested and report back to you on the results. Thanks for the help everyone.
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote