Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 07-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Sir_GT
Regular User

Default Can somebody please explain Windows "Lite" to me..

What is it? And how do I get it? I'm not talking about the rubbish WinXP Lite that MS released in Asia, the one that sports low-res graphics, and only 3 running programs. I'm talking about the one that runs like a full windows OS, but with all the fat trimmed off.

Where do I get it? and what are the pros and cons? (A friend said I can't run MS Office, only OpenOffice).

Can the knowledgeable people please shed some light.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
Sir_GT
Regular User

Wow. We have an anti-mac group, but seems that nobody knows how windows can be optimized?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:26 AM   #3
Minacious
Regular User

http://www.nliteos.com/

This is what you want to use, trust me. It’s fully customizable allowing you to remove what you want. I have been using it for some time now with much success. I can explain more if need be.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
saadie
Regular User

stop all te annoying stupid pain in the ass services

and suddenly you will feel like you have 2GB of ram

Old 07-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
It all depends on what you remove from the install for it to run office or not.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't start. And it needs a lot of trial and error
I'm fine with the trial and error actually. I just want to make sure I don't lose too much (i.e. plug-n-play)
Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious
http://www.nliteos.com/

This is what you want to use, trust me. It’s fully customizable allowing you to remove what you want. I have been using it for some time now with much success. I can explain more if need be.
What's not on yours then?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #7
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT

What's not on yours then?
I can't really remember all that I removed, but it was quite a bit in my final revision that I use primarily. I have made many different versions containing different things. Like has already been said, don't remove something if you have no idea what it is. The good thing about the program that I gave you a link to is that it gives a description of each piece that can be removed, and there are a lot. Thoroughly read everything.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Pimp Racer
Regular User

If your computer is kinda old and not runs good with XP Windows has released Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PC's.

Looks just like XP except it has quite a few things taken out too optimiaze it for lower end not to be used for XP computers.

Go here for more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...For_Legacy_PCs
Minimum System Requirements

* 64MB RAM (128MB Recommended)
* Pentium class processor
* 500MB HDD (1GB recommended)
* 800x600 screen resolution or higher
* Network Interface Card
Pimp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
DeMoN
Regular User

its awesome. Just dload one pre-made. I mean, dont liten it up yourself. It is a stripped down version of XP. XP with the useless services running. No auto update, no system restore, no bs stuff which makes your comp run fast as hell.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #10
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
its awesome. Just dload one pre-made. I mean, dont liten it up yourself. It is a stripped down version of XP. XP with the useless services running. No auto update, no system restore, no bs stuff which makes your comp run fast as hell.
I was hoping to DL one pre-made, but with Mediaplayer left in (if possible).

Where'd you get yours? Torrent?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #11
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Hold up let me ask you something! Do you play alot of games on yout PC? IF not then go for a lite weight Linux Distro! But if you do game then just forget about it.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pimp Racer
Hold up let me ask you something! Do you play alot of games on yout PC? IF not then go for a lite weight Linux Distro! But if you do game then just forget about it.
Not at all. I don't have any games save for solitaire. Lol. I use the PC stricly for PS, Illustrator, Flash, and Dreamweaver. Right now, I'm keen on any mod that will make my PC go faster without having to resort to a pricey hardware upgrade (saving for the baby).
Old 07-25-2006, 11:07 PM   #13
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
so if windows is shit, the "trimmed" windows is more like diarrhea right?

Isn't diarrhea actually the "excess" of fecal matter? So if trimming the excess off windows gets rid of the diarrhea, that means what you're left with is 100% pure crap.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #14
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Not at all. I don't have any games save for solitaire. Lol. I use the PC stricly for PS, Illustrator, Flash, and Dreamweaver. Right now, I'm keen on any mod that will make my PC go faster without having to resort to a pricey hardware upgrade (saving for the baby).
Alright then I think you should switch to Linux. I know they got a photoshop for Linux which is free and with all and even more features than photoshop! Its called "The Gimp" and flash and dreamweaver I dont really use because I use strictly HTML and what not. BTW Linux is all free and works on just about any hardware. What are you current specs?

Old 07-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #15
Sir_GT
Regular User

Alright then I think you should switch to Linux. I know they got a photoshop for Linux which is free and with all and even more features than photoshop! Its called "The Gimp" and flash and dreamweaver I dont really use because I use strictly HTML and what not. BTW Linux is all free and works on just about any hardware. What are you current specs?

1GB DDR, P4 3.0, and some sort of graphics card.

I looked at Linux (Knopix), but I couldn't get over the fact that it didn't have any plug-and-play options, and there are quite a few graphic programs that I do need that only run on windows and mac. Their native files are important to printers and being able to leave them with the client for future editing.

So... it really is Windows lite for me until I get to save up for a powermac.