Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 07-14-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
ae86_16v
Regular User

Default Core 2 Duo

Looks like it will kick ass. I can't wait for Merom:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/...out_athlon_64/
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060714-7267.html
http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/core2/index.x?pg=1
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:53 AM   #2
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

israeli development you know

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Jabba
Regular User

Default Re: Core 2 Duo

Welcome to last month :

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...9878&start=440
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=39364&start=0

Anyway the good news is Dan and I have ordered our conroe e6700's and they should be here next wednesday (26th July), we already got the mobos so now we just have to be patient before re-writing the JW superpi record books.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

core 2 duo.. so is that 4 cores?
Old 07-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by Erez
israeli development you know
Yeah I know, the team from the original Pentium M. Well I remember just a few years ago, Intel and everyone else for that matter, was still suggesting that the Pentium 4 architecture (Netburst right?) could be scale up to 10GHz.

That was until they went to 90nm fabarcation and experienced difficulties that not one foresaw.

Originally Posted by Jabba
Welcome to last month :

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...9878&start=440
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=39364&start=0

Anyway the good news is Dan and I have ordered our conroe e6700's and they should be here next wednesday (26th July), we already got the mobos so now we just have to be patient before re-writing the JW superpi record books.
Yeah I know, but official now the blackout has been lifted, though I just post up some specs with a new topic.

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
core 2 duo.. so is that 4 cores?
No, just a second generation of the efficency design. Or true efficency design. Yonah was the bridge grap. Yonah was derived from Pentium M aka Centrino (with mobo, CPU, WiFi). And of course the Pentium was derived from Pentium III. But Yonah was considered to be the first ground up efficent design with 2 Cores thus the name Core Duo. This is the second generation so Core 2 Duo.

I don't think Intel will release quad Cores until early next year. Although Apple will probably release two CPUs with two Cores each thus making 4 Cores in their PowerMac/Mac Pro towers.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
Erez
Regular User

^ intel now say that by 2010 they'll have, get this 32 cores :shock: i can't say i'm not skeptic.. but i sure like the sound of that 8)

Old 07-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
crazidude
Regular User

^ intel now say that by 2010 they'll have, get this 32 cores :shock: i can't say i'm not skeptic.. but i sure like the sound of that 8)
Now I hope phase change cooling will be affordable by then, and electricity is free. If not, I'll be a very, very poor man.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:20 AM   #8
evoWalo
Regular User

The Pentium M proves that megahertz didnt translate to actual performance. I remember reading that some Pentium 3s could outdo a Pentium 4 on clock per clock basis.
Originally Posted by ae86_16v

Yeah I know, the team from the original Pentium M. Well I remember just a few years ago, Intel and everyone else for that matter, was still suggesting that the Pentium 4 architecture (Netburst right?) could be scale up to 10GHz.

That was until they went to 90nm fabarcation and experienced difficulties that not one foresaw.
Centrino's the brand name of Intel for their "Pentium M + WiFi" bundle like what they did with Intel's media center "Viiv".

Core 2 Duo is the desktop version of "Core" while the Core Duo is the mobile part.

I think the quad cores will come out on the Woodcrest/Xenon server chips first before trickling down to consumers.

Merom is the 64-bit enabled notebook chip that will take over Yonah/Core Duo.

If apple were to make a MacPro Quad professional desktop they may more likely use a Woodcrest/Xenon server chip as the Conroe/Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Extreme arent designed to do SMP while the Woodcrest/Xenon can.
No, just a second generation of the efficency design. Or true efficency design. Yonah was the bridge grap. Yonah was derived from Pentium M aka Centrino (with mobo, CPU, WiFi). And of course the Pentium was derived from Pentium III. But Yonah was considered to be the first ground up efficent design with 2 Cores thus the name Core Duo. This is the second generation so Core 2 Duo.

I don't think Intel will release quad Cores until early next year. Although Apple will probably release two CPUs with two Cores each thus making 4 Cores in their PowerMac/Mac Pro towers.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:36 AM   #9
Erez
Regular User

Originally Posted by crazidude
Now I hope phase change cooling will be affordable by then, and electricity is free. If not, I'll be a very, very poor man.
same here..

Old 07-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

It was so much easier to follow when it was just 386, 486, pentium, pentium II, etc

Now there's so much crap in the name of a CPU..

32 cores on one chip by 2010? :shock:
Old 07-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
DeMoN
Regular User

32 cores ! well Ill start saving up for 2010!
Old 07-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
nickthaskater

Originally Posted by DeMoN
Pssh, why bother, they'll just have 64 a couple months later
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:44 AM   #13
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by nickthaskater
Originally Posted by DeMoN
Pssh, why bother, they'll just have 64 a couple months later
Not bad. Soon we'll have one core per application running on task manager.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:43 AM   #14
Erez
Regular User

^ now that would be awesome! 8)
and nickthaskater is right.. damn computer world.. but the best today, and its total shit 6 months later..

Old 07-21-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
ae86_16v
Regular User

Intel is shipping Core 2 Duo Mobile chips (Merom) to manufacturers, according to recent Intel financial report. A recent AppleInsider story had indicated that Intel may have plans to move up Merom's formal launch to next Monday, July 23rd, to coincide with the Core 2 Duo Desktop variant ("Conroe") launch. Despite the move, availablility at the time was still not expected until August.

Merom is expected to replace Core Duo "Yonah" CPUs found in the MacBook Pro. Apple could use the 2.0, 2.16, or the 2.33 GHz variants of Merom in its MacBook Pro line, each of which sport 4 MB of L2 Cache (up from 2 MB in current MacBook Pros) and have a 667 MHz frontside bus.