Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #16
crazidude
Regular User

Just hit delete when your comp boots up to enter the bios. From there just look for manual over clock settings and change the htt to something above 200. After a certain point you'll need to lax the timmings for your ram and up the voltage for your processor. Someone with an asus mobo will be able to give you more detail as to how to do it exactly.

o/cing your vid card is easy. Just download coolbits reg hack and you can change the clock speeds in the nvidia profile manager. Or download riva tuner and use that.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:41 AM   #17
DeMoN
Regular User

^ I got rivatuner and did the autooc. I read that after doing the auto OC, you are to increase and test, I just used the AUTO and games hang! WTF?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #18
crazidude
Regular User

They hang? That's odd. Was there any distortions before that happened? Like things flashing around the screen when that shouldn't happen?

I would just overclock it myself. I believe there's a bar thing that you drag left or right in rivatuner. Just increase the clock speed for the core 5mhz at a time and test for artifacts by running a game or something.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #19
DeMoN
Regular User

Yeah things started to look weird. Like branches of trees became light green, flashings and all that. Auto setup increased very little anyway... so increasing more would hang for sure, and less would be a waste of time...
Old 06-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #20
crazidude
Regular User

Your cards are overheating. You'll need better cooling or apply some as5 onto the gpu.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #21
DeMoN
Regular User

^ then I need help on that as I have not fiddled with Oclocking other than using ASUS own OClocking software. As for increasing voltage and stuff, that I have no idea. Perhaps you could help me OC my CPU?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:41 PM   #22
crazidude
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
^ then I need help on that as I have not fiddled with Oclocking other than using ASUS own OClocking software. As for increasing voltage and stuff, that I have no idea. Perhaps you could help me OC my CPU?
Generally speaking, using software to oc your cpu is a death wish, especially that ntune garbage.

Why not take a pic of the bios screen so we have some idea of where the settings are.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #23
DeMoN
Regular User

I'll do that, though "Print Screen" button isnt working LOL! (its a joke I know u cant use it on bios).
Old 06-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #24
irrational_i
Regular User

Personally I wouldn't oc. The gains are not that high usually, even though they could be as high as say, 20%, but then you need some serious cooling usually.

Mostly a gain of about 5% and its unikely that you'll really notice that increase in operation.
your clockspeed wil show most clearly when you are encoding multimedia or maybe playing quake - where 500fps is silly as 120 is as much as you see.
Oc the gfx will have an impact, but you need a good card. Bad cards oc about 2% and overheat. If gfx is nvidia I'd consider oc for a basic 6XX/7XX card, but leave the GT/GTX as is.

Of course if you are just fiddling for the sake of it, go right ahead.

If you want watercooling for less noise, remember that the PSU is also a noisy component and watercool is not necessarily quiet. Good fans are very effective.
Go for somethiing with a large volume of airflow. Big blades/slow speed tend to be more quiet and effective.
I prefer Zalman as my Coolermasters always seema little louder than advertised.

A last note on cpu - I still run an AMD athlon 2600+ and thats plenty fast enough for coding and gaming alike. Although an upgrade to AMD64/pci-e is needed for games like Oblivion. Although dual-core is not yet the best solution. Give a year or so before apps start using the multi-processor capabilities.
For now an AMD FX-60 should be awesome for 90+% of your needs.
Gfx and RAM are the keys to increased performance.
So O/C is in my opinion not needed.
irrational_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #25
DeMoN
Regular User

My cards are not GT they are 6800 Ultras so tha'd mean they could be OClocked right?

Bout water cooling, I've thought bout it, but havent bought anything. I have the AMD X2 4400+ and thamar has 3800+ wich beats my cpu so Im confident that you can do good stuff provided you can cool the CPU (right thamar?). Its not that I need to have this comp go faster as its fast enough for what I use (never encode anything just normal internet and ocational gaming). But, its more for curiosity and learning factor rather than speed satisfaction.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #26
irrational_i
Regular User

So playing then. Go ahead and play. just be careful with the mobo voltages.

The Ultra cards are really GTs with zero defects. Like O/C'd GT cards already.
(Just like authentic Porsche parts are just hand-picked Bosch/ATE and other basic branded producs. For my old Porsche anyway. So guaranteed to be the best quality.)

An o/c'd GT card will have Ultra performance for instance and are much cheaper to buy.
There should be margins for O/C still. I think the Gainward or Asus cards handle o/c nicely, but its unlikely the Ultra will o/c with a huge margin.

If you don't move your PC around much wtercool is an option. I go LANning with friends often, so my PC moves a lot. Watercooling would be a pain.
irrational_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #27
DeMoN
Regular User

nah I never move my comp other than to clean the dust it gets and the ocational upgrade. I dont want to test and burn though, I rather be told what to try by someone who knows already so I'll post a picture of current bios OClock status.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #28
crazidude
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
My cards are not GT they are 6800 Ultras so tha'd mean they could be OClocked right?

Bout water cooling, I've thought bout it, but havent bought anything.
Ultras generally speaking, with stock cooling, don't go very far. They're pretty bloody hot to begin with and the cores are already pushed quite far in terms of clock speed. The only way I can see you O/Cing those would be with new cooling, and I don't see how such a small gain in performance would justify wasting money on that.

Water cooling would end up to be quite a hassle, if you want to use it for just better cooling purposes. Setting up isn't much of a problem, just need to plan ahead on where to put all the parts and the tubing, but if your place is dusty, then you have to clean the damn radiator at least once every two weeks. And since I'm freaking lazy it annoys me. The advantage of course is that your comp is quieter and cooler.

And your 4400+ comes with an hsf with heat pipes, so it should clock quite well. Possibly 2.5/2.6 without getting too hot or the fan spinning up to max.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #29
DeMoN
Regular User

^ yeah, I did water cooling for the computer I put up for my friend. I'd do it on my comp, but dont feel like it yet. I will someday eventaully. Its gonna be more quiet too. Ill post up the pix soon, thanx guys.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #30
DeMoN
Regular User

So I used ASUS overclocking software a long time ago to overclock a little (which changes things on BIOS aswell). This is how I have it now...

which increased CPU speed as seen here:

With no overclocking, it would look like this:

here are other pictures that might be handy to instruct in Oclocking...

DeMoN is offline   Reply With Quote