Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 05-17-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..
Default CPU Cooling (thanks for the help guys :) )

someone talk me out of the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro
i cant wait any longer for my lawsuit with TT to be resolved (max in about month and a half..)

reasons i like the Freezer 64 Pro are its damn cheap (less then half the price of the Zalman CNPS9500 LED) and for what i've been reading, it does a pretty fine job!

what do you recommend?

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
DeMoN
Regular User

CPUs are expensive man, dont get a cheap one and risk it. Since I bought the darn comp from alienware, I've been changing several things, but the thermal compound glued cooler with CPU and I dont want to risk messing up my CPU. At least its a good CPU cooler from COOLERMASTER but I still want watercooling.... I know there are tutorials online as to how to safely remove thermal compound from the cpu, just havnt had the time to look for it.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

to remove thermal compound just use some alcohol.. it wont hurt the chip.. just be careful not to crush the core... especially when you put the heatsink back on..

and if you smell silicon burning(it just smells plain weird and definitely not normal) when you turn on your pc, you've crushed the core
Old 05-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Erez
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
CPUs are expensive man, dont get a cheap one and risk it...
I didn't want to get because it was cheap.. I was thinking about it because its cheap, and from the reviews i saw.. pretty good.. :bah:

Originally Posted by thamar
Don't bother with that cooler, AC is crap

But if it's an X2 you're getting, the latest ones are provided with a very good cooler Try that one first.
no no X2.. was thinking of staying cheap for now till the new AM2 thing is out.. and prices here drop (here everything new.. no matter whats going on in the REAL world.. cost more.. always..)
i'm not looking for any OCing till i'll fix my whole issue with TT.. and even then we'll see..

maybe you can help me then.. if AC is crap (reviews around didn't say that, that why i'm asking here as well ..ask people you trust )
whats a good quiet, cool.. cooler then?
ZALMAN CNPS 7700 Cu? (~47 EURO.. here..)
Scythe SCNJ-1000P (~48 EURO..)
Asetek Vapochill micro Xtreme (~44 EURO)
?

Old 05-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
crazidude
Regular User

The Freezer pro is perfectly fine. It's one of the better coolers and its dirt cheap. The only thing you'll probably need to do is lap the bottom so its a bit smoother as the normal base is pretty shitty from what I remember.

The Vapochill is crap from what I remember and the zalman is like ancient. I don't know what the scythe is, but if its the ninja model then that's possibly the best quiet solution avaible. Of course if it isn't, the rest of the scythe line is quite decent and there's no reason to ignore it.

Another solution is to see if you can find an xp-90/92 and put your own fan on it.

And just a question. Why AM2? I'm willing to bet that it'll get man handled by conroe unless AMD pulls a fast one and some how manages to make their mem controller atleast 80% effiecent.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
Erez
Regular User

like i said.. eye on the future.. i'll wait and see.. maybe conroe.. still no way of knowing..
the scythe is the ninja.. heard good things about it.. @Freezer pro.. if it needs work done.. i rather get one that all ready
the Zalman CNPS9500 cost here 61 EURO.. a bit much i think?
all i could find about xp-90/92 is the Thermalright XP-120 (~46 EURO)? or am I way off? but the reviews i saw about it wasn't all that great.. dont remember too much..

EDIT- Scythe SCNJ-1000P purchased 51.7 Euro delivered..
thanks for all the help guys!

I know there are tutorials online as to how to safely remove thermal compound from the cpu, just havnt had the time to look for it.
there's really nothing to it.. never had any prob.. pretty straight up job..
i took the CPU out, held it carefully, and wiped it.. just dont chip it! j\k.. its not as delicate as you make it sound.. just be a little careful

Old 05-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
DeMoN
Regular User

The problem is that the thermalcompound sticks really good. I couldnt access the lever to release the CPU because of the Fan size and I tried pulling the fan out, and both fan and CPU popped up. I didnt want to pay 800 or whatever it is for the x2 4400 so I put it back in a rush and it worked lol. But I saw somewhere, pictures of something used to clean the CPU from the thermal compound after removing the cooler.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
crazidude
Regular User

heh you and your fance way of taking the hsf off. I just slide mine off. Good ole' not using that stupid bracket that AMD mobos come with.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:38 AM   #9
DeMoN
Regular User

Once I get enough money, Ill OC my X2 4400 and if it boils Ill get the FX60 or whatever.

If it doesnt break, Ill unglue it and OC. Need to read more about OClocking though.

thamar, you seem to be wise in that aspect. Any tips or links for reading?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:37 AM   #10
exhausted mules
Regular User

the scythe you mentioned is one of the best on the market today (if it is indeed the ninja)

i have a p4 cooled with a scythe mine (new coolers, better with high cfm fans)

you can't go wrong with scythe, though i would stay away from the Arctic cooling, cooler master and such.

the zalman is real good too and keep in mind that whatever heat sink yo ubuy you can allways change the fan to suit your liking.

if you like quiet the ninja is designed for fanless operation. but you could allways add a fan if you wish afterwards.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
crazidude
Regular User

Originally Posted by exhausted mules
if you like quiet the ninja is designed for fanless operation.
Heh dispite what it might claim, it doesn't actually work very well with no fan, unless of course you got great airflow near the cpu area. And there's really no reason to run it without a fan. A nexus is dead quiet and will help considerably with cooling.

Once I get enough money, Ill OC my X2 4400 and if it boils Ill get the FX60 or whatever.

If it doesnt break, Ill unglue it and OC. Need to read more about OClocking though.
If your 4400+ dies, get an opteron. Odds are that the FX60 costs atleast what your computer is actually worth, and it doesn't overclock much better than the opteron.

All you can pretty much do is increase the fsb or w/e they call it on the a64, htt or some shit I think. You can lower your multiplier if it gets a lot hot. You'll also need to increase the voltage, and depending on what type of cooling you have I won't recommend you go above 1.6v. Also, if you have crappy ram you'll need to change the mem divider ratio to something lower like 5:6.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #12
Erez
Regular User

BTW- one thing no once said about the Scythe Ninja.. the installation guide is one of the worse out there.. i ended up doing what i think it should be.. and the fan mounthing! OMG! that sure sucked as well but other then that.. works great 8)
thanks again for all the help guys :good:

Old 05-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #13
crazidude
Regular User

Originally Posted by Erez
BTW- one thing no once said about the Scythe Ninja.. the installation guide is one of the worse out there.. i ended up doing what i think it should be.. and the fan mounthing! OMG! that sure sucked as well but other then that.. works great 8)
thanks again for all the help guys :good:
How did it suck? Typos or missing steps? I remember I had that arctic silencer thing on my 9800p and the installition guide was riddled with spelling mistakes that it was a harder to decipher the damn instructions than installing the freaking thing. Also, how hard is it to install? I've read reviews that mentioned the sycthe was difficult to install for some reason.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:17 PM   #14
Erez
Regular User

the steps just didn't make any sense.. at all.. maybe i'll see if i could scan them and upload later..
to mount it was scary as hell! (i've just put a hole, i dont know how.. in my old 3.0.. so maybe its just me ) and the fan was just impossible! once i understood how it should go even, it was just physically hard, seems impossible.. that was a very hard and fiddely installation.. but i'm more then happy with the results.. so i'm happy..
whoever is in charge of the installetion guide should be fired asap.. even i could do a much better job.. honest..

edit- one more thing.. (PSU arrived) the ninja is HUGE and now i see the down side working around it (no way i'm taking it out and putting it back in.. ) is HARD!

Old 05-30-2006, 12:07 AM   #15
DeMoN
Regular User

Originally Posted by crazidude
If your 4400+ dies, get an opteron. Odds are that the FX60 costs atleast what your computer is actually worth, and it doesn't overclock much better than the opteron.

All you can pretty much do is increase the fsb or w/e they call it on the a64, htt or some shit I think. You can lower your multiplier if it gets a lot hot. You'll also need to increase the voltage, and depending on what type of cooling you have I won't recommend you go above 1.6v. Also, if you have crappy ram you'll need to change the mem divider ratio to something lower like 5:6.
I dont know shiet bout overclocking, but this is what I currently have on my computer:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Pro Lite SP2
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 510 Express 650 Watt peak power
Chassis: Alienware Full-Tower Case
Chassis Upgrades: AlienIce 2.0 Video Cooling System
Motherboard: A8N-SLI Deluxe Nforce4
Graphics Processor: Dual NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI-E 256MB (512MB total) DDR3 with SLI
Memory: CORSAIR XMS 2GB(2x1GB) 184-Pin DDR 400 (PC 3200) TWINX2048-3200C2PRO
System Drive: Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150
System Drive2: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA
System Drive3: 120GB Serial ATA 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
Primary CD/DVD ROM: 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Secondary CD/DVD ROM: BenQ DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DW1640
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet
Monitor: Dell 2405FPW 24" (1920x1200)
Keyboard: Logitech S510 2-Tone USB RF Wireless Slim Desktop with Media Remote Mouse Included
Mouse: Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse
Cable Management: Alienware Cable Management System

Ram is good and all, I just want to overclock my 4400. I'd like to know how. Also, I want to OClock both my 6800ultras or maybe I'll sell em and get a pair of the 7 series ones.