Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 07-25-2006, 04:57 AM   #16
nickthaskater

Default Re: AMD buys ATI for $5.5 Billion USD!

Originally Posted by Jabba
Originally Posted by Pimp Racer

Most people say that AMD is the best processsor to use when gaming
They wont be saying that for much longer as Intel Conroe rapes anything and everything that AMD has to offer.
And then AMD responds and the circle of life continues.
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:28 AM   #17
exhausted mules
Regular User

i think rc hit it on the nail there with amd needing to buy ati to get their foot in the door for other markets.

the server and integrated is what i think amd might be after.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:34 AM   #18
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by nickthaskater

They wont be saying that for much longer as Intel Conroe rapes anything and everything that AMD has to offer.
And then AMD responds and the circle of life continues.
From everything that I have read, they wont be responding this year with anything that comes close, or 2007 for that matter.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #19
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Except ATI is not the best graphics supplier..

AMD need a foot in the door to get more server based sales... ATI is the dominant server graphics chip
I really dont know much about that since I am not a gamer at all only a few demos such as GTR2 and LFS. But anyways I figured it was the best since a few of my gamer buds put them in their rig.

Thats true I heard some crazy shit about Conroe on Ananad Tech!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #20
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I hope AMD doesnt fuck up what ATI has done in the past couple years..

I also hope AMD's stock sky rockets because they owe me $100 as of now!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #21
DeMoN
Regular User

I agree with RC45, GeForce cards are better than ATI. ATI and their crap drivers fall behind always. Not to mention, games optimized for nVidia and SLI vs ATI and their Crossfire. For gaming, nVidia is the stuff. Now if AMD is thinking on making ATI get advantages out of AMD products, I might aswell go to Intel cuz I dont plan on leaving nVidia. I like nVidia too much.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #22
black_magician
Regular User

this should answer some peoples questions

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #23
rave426
Regular User

Default Not so fast

Remember the graphics industry is juggling act. Just a few years ago, ATI ran away with the game with the Radeon 9700, and no matter what you say its a fact that Nvidia took a while to even come close. Right now Nvidia is in the lead, but I would not spit out that they are the all out graphics leader.

For the ones that dont know, the XBOX 360 is powered by an ATI chip. For microsoft to calaborate with ATI you know something must be going good.

Anyway, I think Nvidia is eventually going to come out on top with this, in regards to hardcore gamers (unless the merger can produce some kind of imbedded technology that gives it an advantage over simple bus connectivity technology). Like I said the market is a juggle. If ATI is behind, and the systems only optimized for ATI cards, then the two companies are going to suffer. On the other hand, Intel and Nvidia are going to be cleaning house.

As for right now, the merger may bring extreme graphics to the mid range buyer, by the result of cheaper, more optimized AMD/ATI systems.

Anyway we will see........ My verdict Nvidia "1" - ATI ".026"
Old 07-25-2006, 01:34 PM   #24
TopGearNL
Regular User

Lets hope this is good news
Old 07-30-2006, 03:00 PM   #25
evoWalo
Regular User

AMD was the best processor. Stress on the word "was" seeming Intel just came out Core 2 Duo & Core 2 Extreme. These are screamers based on the reviews you can find on the Web.

Video card performance pretty much switches from ATI to Nvidia every release. I'm worried that with the buy out ATI may one day just be AMD-only. So you're forced to do Intel, Nvidia or some 2nd rate video card maker.

The good thing I see from the merger is that one day you could find yourself buying a CPU with an embeded video co-processor similar to what was done with the 486 and the math co-processor making computers even cheaper.
Wow thats alot of money.
Now this is a huge impact on the gaming industry!

Most people say that AMD is the best processsor to use when gaming and ATI are the best graphics cards to use when gaming so this is just fliping sweet!

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/21/tech...n=money_latest
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #26
nickthaskater

Default Re: Not so fast

Originally Posted by rave426
For the ones that dont know, the XBOX 360 is powered by an ATI chip. For microsoft to calaborate with ATI you know something must be going good.
And the first Xbox used Nvidia and GameCube used ATI, and look how those turned out? It's all about lowest bidder when you're talking about consoles, it's definitely not an accurate representation of who's better.

By the way, PS3 is using Nvidia this time around (co-developed with Sony), and PS3 games are kicking the shit out of Xbox360 in terms of visuals, and the games aren't even done yet.
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #27
evoWalo
Regular User

There is so many categories of what makes the best video card that you cant really pin down which company makes the better product. Some benchmarks Nvidia's lousy at while others ATI. Then again benchmarks not everything and product experience also counts. Driver quality over time could also be a factor on how well written and timely they are.

ATI is also being used by Nintendo not because it can kick out framerates like their is no tomorrow but it meets Nintendo's technical requirements. The Wii's supposed to be cheapest among the 3.

PS3 is vaporware until it actually ships and and all the stuff seen by the public so far are pre-rendered. THe Xbox360's graphic's pretty stunning as it is and is an actual product.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:20 PM   #28
nickthaskater

A lot of the stuff shown on the PS3 has been done in real-time, and it's been reported that PS3s are already being manufactured (which would make sense considering it's set to release in a few months).