Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Japanese Cars

Japanese Cars Japanese car discussion

Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by numbat91 View Post
Oh yes sure.I guess Luca Di Montezemolo sent italian engineers to ask Corvette and therefore by association to GM how to make decent brakes.LOL
Actually they did - they were all over GM/Delphi to get the hardware needed for the Magna Ride.. and understand GM was working with Brembo since 2005 on the brakes for the ZR1...

Whoaa..... isnt that the same time frame as the FXX development cycle???

If anything, Nissan are late to the party - and why should they e over charging GT-R owners for the brakes? The brakes cost $20,000 per corner when sold for the FXX, but only cost $4,000 per corner when sold for the ZR1.. seems like somebody is getting ripped off

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Standard C6 Stops in under 120 ft
Z06 stops in under 110 ft
ZR1 stops in even less 60-0 mph.

Just what kind of braking performance are you talking about the vette lacking?
And stock aggressive C5 Z06 pads were good for 60-0 in 112ft - 2000 as a 2001 model
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #17
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by ViperASR View Post
Funny how you need a $100,000 Chevy to get decent brakes.

Come on, you can look at that from both angles. You can also say, funny how you need a 4th upgrade to get decent brakes on a corvette (see:C6, C6 Z51, C6 Z06, C6 ZR1). I mean come on.
First, all Corvettes have great fade resistant brakes. This is true of other cars as well.

Secondly though, the ZR1 comes with carbon ceramic brakes STANDARD. Look at how much that OPTION would cost you on other cars. Yea, you're looking at 7k-15k!
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
RC45
Regular User

What is so confusing here?

The C6 ZR1 has had FXX brakes since day 1.

The onyl reason GM went "exotic" on the brakes, was to reduce unsprung weight and please the badge-fanatics.

Corvettes had had fantastic street brakes since the beginning of time.

Why all the hate guys?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #19
ViperASR
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
What is so confusing here?

The C6 ZR1 has had FXX brakes since day 1.
So has the GT-R SpecV

Why all the hate guys?
I was gettin ready to ask the same question. I dont have hate towards corvettes, I'm actually in the market for one as a track toy (already done the crotch rocket thing, done the Porsche deal, and am still doing the autocross deal, fealin like it will be time to move on to new and better things). They are sweet cars that are "cheaper" to mod, and you can drive the piss outta them without worrying about them blowing up. And there is no tranny explosion button on the dash... :/

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis

Last edited by ViperASR; 03-18-2009 at 10:38 AM.
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #20
ViperASR
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
First, all Corvettes have great fade resistant brakes. This is true of other cars as well.

Secondly though, the ZR1 comes with carbon ceramic brakes STANDARD. Look at how much that OPTION would cost you on other cars. Yea, you're looking at 7k-15k!
The regular GT-R comes with carbon ceramic brakes STANDARD as well. And that car costs about $30,000 less than the ZR1, or a Subaru Impreza STI less than the ZR1.

BTW, I'm not some fanboy who praises the ground the GT-R walks on, there are enough retards that do that on the internet. However, I dont understand why there is all this hate towards the GT-R when its a very good performer. Is it heavy, yes, but it has fantastic tires that help to hide some of that weight around the track. Every editor that has driven the car will admit that it doesnt quite sheild its weight, however its an amazing performer. Now you are going to say that using those tires is "cheating" on Nissans part. So what should they have done? They had these tires that their disposal, so should they have used some 155/40/r15 or something like that, or use the ones that came off the Nissan Titan?

I'm also not a huge fan of bench racing. I'm more for butt-in-the seat stuff.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ViperASR View Post
The regular GT-R comes with carbon ceramic brakes STANDARD as well. And that car costs about $30,000 less than the ZR1, or a Subaru Impreza STI less than the ZR1.
Really? WHy doesn't Nissan brag about it in their literature then?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
ViperASR
Regular User

Really? WHy doesn't Nissan brag about it in their literature then?
I could have sworn that the one I saw at a dealer had carbon brakes. Perhaps I was wrong or it was an option or something like that.

And no, it wasnt the dealer telling me that it had carbon brakes....

Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #23
RC45
Regular User

^^ Just want to keep us all honest
Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #24
Alelanza
Regular User

Thing is, i can't see why someone would go for the spec v instead of a zr1, i just can't. Even the normal gt-r, what does it actually retail for? i'm pretty sure the 70k figure was on paper and they went for about 80k or so no?
So add to that the 20k you'll spend on a new gearbox after a few months usage, you're in zr1 territory already
I can see a wealthy person buying the brand name that a ferrari or similar comes with, but the nissan doesn't have that either. If anything even the corvette name carries more weight than anything nissan.
Alelanza is offline   Reply With Quote