Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Japanese Cars

Japanese Cars Japanese car discussion

Old 09-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Default what do you all think of the GTO/3000GT/Stealth ?

I am still in choosing mode, I am torn between a new vette (which will put me in the hole with payments for many years) or a straight up purchase of something for a bit less that will make me happy to own it

I have looked at the Eclipse AWD, I loved it, however a bit unpractical since I look like the bald guy from ghost hunters... (meaning I look ridiculous in it)

just today I saw a 3000GT VR4 for sale at my local dealership, it looked immaculate and for a 1993 car, it only had 45k miles... the thing looks brand new, and the engine is as clean as if it just left the factory, the salesman told me that the DOHC was discontinued in 94 and that this was the best engine, I never actualy paid much attention to these cars because I thought they were over priced (although I did pay top dollar for my RX-7) so I sat in it and well, it is quite spacious, it has a back seat... which I am not used to really, and taking it around the block it felt strong and refined at the same time, I guess my question is, are these good cars? am I looking at something that will break the bank to maintain?

what's the deal with the electronic shock system? WTF?

I love cars, but I am not rich, so I don't need something that will take tons of cash to maintain and not enjoy, I do have another car so obviously I would alternate usage, is this a good buy?

I know many of you know lots about cars, much more than me since I have been stuck in the same RX-7 for a decade

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
graywolf624
Regular User

It was an interesting if overhyped car. Its not going to keep up with the vette but it still should be fun (provided its a tt model and not a run of the mill version).

The big selling point for the VR4 was its 4 wheel steering. It ultimately ended up being a bit much of a gimmic and very heavy.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

How much was the car?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
How much was the car?

on sale for 17k, which I know I could talk them down to 14 if I show up with cash, it is the twin turbo, VR4 and I have been thinking hard all day about it, whoever had this car treated it like a baby, I did check a couple websites about it and the electronic suspension and all wheel steering gizmo is a bit harsh to pay for when it goes wrong, however I found out this car has the same AWD setup as the EVO... if that means anything

damn that 2008 vette sure is nice, but I don't know if I can swing payments for a 75,000 dollar car, if I was single it would be a no brainer

wonder how much a 3 or 4yr old C5 goes for? hmmm

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

if you like burnouts, the 3000 GT is not your car... if you like a high tech gagety-laiden car, it is. They are a bit on the heavy side, and feel it being thrown into corners. Still, there is plenty of grip... but it wont feel at all like your RX7.

I think the Stealth had the active suspension, while the 3000 GT had that, and active rear steering... very clever, and a banned technology from Formula 1.

I think the exterior styling is somewhere between Camaro, and Corvette. IMHO, it doesn't feel remotely japanese in styling.

Exhaust note isn't particularly fun, but some aftermarket pipes would help that a lot. If you would think of tuning it, the Stealth is the cheaper option to go. However, the 3000 GT will hold it's value better... or if you look at it, the Stealth is going to cost you significantly less.

Well known issues with the car is that the OEM clutch is worthless. A cheap and readily available aftermarket option lasts far longer, and feels much better... definitely something to check up on the 3000 GT/ Stealth forums that are out there.

Interior on the car will feel dated, but perhaps less so then your 7, and a significant step up.

All in all, I think 17 is a bit much for the asking price; 13-14 seems more appropriate. Even then, perhaps a bit on the high side. This largly depends on what state your in.

Best of luck on your search
Old 09-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
DeMoN
Regular User

Always wanted (still do) 1999 3000GT vr-4. Was going to buy that but could not find one in low mileage and red/black combo.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
graywolf624
Regular User

damn that 2008 vette sure is nice, but I don't know if I can swing payments for a 75,000 dollar car
Where the hell are you finding this 75000 dollar vett.. Hell Ill sell you mine for 55k and still make a 10 k profit replacing it with an 09. Hell I can get you a z06 for 63k. Your not looking in the right places. You should pay no more then mid 40s for a non Z06 C6 brand new.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
04RCSTI
Regular User

^^^ what he said..

Also, those cars you listed...stay away from them...except for that GTO
Old 09-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
79TA
Regular User

He probably just saw 'vette and started thinking Z06 . . .

Anyway, used Supra could be fun as well as a decent investment as they're about bottomed out in price right now. Current gen S197 Mustang GT's are selling for pretty decent prices, especially used.

Maybe you could have your cake and eat it too by just getting a used C6. Mostly, you'd have to live with 400 bhp LS2 instead of the 430 bhp (or 437 with the exhaust package) LS3. I haven't really looked at used C6 pricing, but maybe it'd be worth considering.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:57 AM   #10
Spiffu
Regular User

Realistically, a C6 out the door is going to be over $50 grand, and that's with hardly any options.

I spec'd one out on the corvette website, I put on the Z51 package and some other stuff. Came to nearly, $57k before tax and license.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have one. I think for that price range they are the best car on the market. Just based on the prices this guy is throwing around it might not be in his budget.

You can get a used mustang GT (like mine) for under $20 grand now. Yay depreciation.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:02 AM   #11
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Yay depreciation indeed. Terrible for the seller. Wonderful for the buyer. C5 Z06? Those should fall under "affordable" now.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:47 AM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
Realistically, a C6 out the door is going to be over $50 grand, and that's with hardly any options.

I spec'd one out on the corvette website, I put on the Z51 package and some other stuff. Came to nearly, $57k before tax and license.
Gray's car has a number of options, and his was priced well below that. The price you are quoting is MSRP; which is far and away from the price the consumer ends up paying. Of course, some people will still buy one over MSRP if they don't do their do diligence.

Still, the VR4 is a damn cool machine; would be A LOT less to buy, and depending on how many miles he cleans house with; he will likely be able to sell it for about as much as he paid (assuming all mechanicals are good)
Old 09-30-2008, 03:04 AM   #13
zeus_2011
Regular User

If I remember correctly from reviews at the time it used to come last in most comparisons with the key words being "understeer, understeer, understeer".

An imposing and in my opinion good looking machine, a prime example of 90's design, but i would have thought u'd b better off with a Nissan 300ZX (Fairlady), the twin turbo model ofcourse! And my god how expensive....look at autotrader.co.uk and if u do find one im sure it wont be any more than 5k GBP.
zeus_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
graywolf624
Regular User

Gray's car has a number of options, and his was priced well below that. The price you are quoting is MSRP; which is far and away from the price the consumer ends up paying. Of course, some people will still buy one over MSRP if they don't do their do diligence.
Yeah I have Z51 and the dual mode exhaust. I didn't pay anywhere near 57k. For 63k you could have bought a new 08 Z06 a few weeks ago.

You can get a z51, brand new, from Kerbeck for 46k. With supplier discount, which you could easily get, you can probably get it for 46k and order it to your spec like I did. http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbe...special_offers
A used C6 with the ls2 could be had for as low as 32-33k depending on the mileage. Watch corvetteforum: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=98
Old 10-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
maxpayne126
Regular User

it's a nice car to drive but a real pain to work on to do anything.... especially a timing belt. i know, ive done one at my dealership
maxpayne126 is offline   Reply With Quote