Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Japanese Cars

Japanese Cars Japanese car discussion

Old 05-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
fordgt84
Regular User

Default Lexus LF-A may cost upto $225,000

SANTA MONICA, California — After three auto show appearances and the occasional spy photo and video from Germany's high-speed Nürburgring test circuit, it's no secret that the Lexus LF-A supercar concept is headed for production. With an estimated 500 horsepower coming from the LF-A's 5.0-liter V10, we didn't expect the Lexus to come cheap, but Inside Line has learned that the car will carry a price tag over $200,000.

Ben Mitchell, corporate product planning manager for Lexus, confirmed that the price of the carbon-fiber supercar will begin with a two. And another Lexus source in Japan told Inside Line the price may be as high as $225,000.

Shown in both coupe and roadster forms, the LF-A will first launch as a coupe. Roadster versions will be priced even higher. Both body styles are approximately 2 inches shorter and an inch narrower than the 483-hp Ferrari F430, with a similarly sized wheelbase. A 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider costs $211,525.

Although final specifications have not yet been released, Lexus says the LF-A will reach a top speed over 200 mph.

What this means to you: Lexus is gunning for the Italians with the LF-A, and it's not going to cut any corners in its quest to deliver a legitimate supercar. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor
source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

wow i wasn't expecting it to cost more than the lamborghini lp 560-4
although i have no doubt that lexus will find buyers for everyone they produce even at that price.... i hope this isn't a sign that the japan car industry has had enough with providing high performance vehicles for cheap(ish)
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
5vz-fe
Regular User

If that's true, are they out of their damn mind. When NSX first came out, it undercuts the 348 by a good margin, cost about the same as a 911 Carrera 4.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

With the amount of development and tech going into the car I wouldn't be suprised. Toyota will not sell a car if it won't pay for itself.. And if people are willing to pay $100k+ for a Nissan, I'm sure they can sell a limited number of $200k Lexus'
Old 05-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
5vz-fe
Regular User

^Yes, but a large volume (or larger volume) of 100k cars will probably work out better than a much smaller volume of 200k cars tho.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Let's see. What would I get instead for $200,000?

Aston Martin DB9
Audi R8
Chevy Corvette ZR1
Ferrari F430
Jaguar XK-R
Lamborghini Gallardo
Lotus Esprit
Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG & CLS63 AMG
Porsche 911 GT2
etc...

And don't get me started on old cars.

This car better be dang good if they're going to charge that much for a Toyota.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
fordgt84
Regular User

^ i agree with you when you say that the lexus better be damn good for that kind of money... lexus probably believes that it is truly worth that kind of money, and i wouldn't blame them for thinking so.

granted the list of vehicles u've given are from manufacturers that have been in the high performance game for a long time and have truly established themselves as makers of some the best machines out there. but let's not forget that toyota have been in racing as long as everyone else, we all know that toyota knows how to make a sports car, we also know that they've been working their butts off for a while now developing the lf-a, and having seen one in the flesh at the geneva motorshow it looks damn good too (in a futuristic kind of way)

what i'm trying to say is if lexus can develop a supercar that's just as good (if not better) as an F430 or Gallardo - in terms of performance, quality, desirability etc - why shouldn't they price it like one? (besides the fact that it's got toyota written all over it)... i mean i just think that in a world where people bought Aston Martin Vanquishes that had a base price of $228,000 -complete with nasty ford switchgear and a nightmare of a gearbox - people should (and will) at least be able to look past the fact that it's Japanese, or just a beefed up Toyota, especially as i just know it will be a way more complete car than the Vanquish could have ever been.
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

$225,000 + $100,000 dealer markups
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
torrentjunkie
Regular User

i wonder just how much of that 200-225 is just for the funny shaped L on the front grille...maybe they're just trying to match the established supercar prices so Lexus would look just as 'premium' but not any cheaper, doing away with the 'cheap' Toyota name associated with camrys and aygos.

but as fordgt84 points out maybe that price is justified, it sounds like a CGT in the spy films, and could very well go like one with 500bhp from a V10. And how many cars currently in production with or under the 225 asking price, can do 200mph?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
$225,000 + $100,000 dealer markups
That figure will raise even more here in the netherlands
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
04RCSTI
Regular User

Thats absurd... no ones gonna pay 225000 for a lexus v10. That price range is F430 territory and you have to be an absolute idiot to pick the lexus versus the ferrari. Seriously lexus...really??

Even if they priced it at $125,000 - $150,000 it would have to fight with flagship porsches and loose at that too.

They better back up that ridiculous price with some insane materials, super lightweight super high performance car. Judging by the recent IS-F...they did not get a very good start...
Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Hah! The LF-A prototype crashed in qualifying then broke its transaxle during the race last weekend at the Nürburgring. 120th place finish... behind Golfs and Leons and such.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
leblanc2.0
Regular User

Originally Posted by 04RCSTI View Post
Thats absurd... no ones gonna pay 225000 for a lexus v10. That price range is F430 territory and you have to be an absolute idiot to pick the lexus versus the ferrari. Seriously lexus...really??

Even if they priced it at $125,000 - $150,000 it would have to fight with flagship porsches and loose at that too.

They better back up that ridiculous price with some insane materials, super lightweight super high performance car. Judging by the recent IS-F...they did not get a very good start...
If i had the money...YES!

if it is an excellent car with V10 engine,carbon materials,and nice looks.This more forward in design than ferraris whether you like it or not.

Lexus IS-F is not the same as the LF-A.The lexus IS-F its a great car but against M3,RS4 or AMG 6.3 do not have chances.
leblanc2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
MMX07
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Hah! The LF-A prototype crashed in qualifying then broke its transaxle during the race last weekend at the Nürburgring. 120th place finish... behind Golfs and Leons and such.
It's like when you're in the driving school and make mistakes. It's better if you do them with the driving instructor so he can teach you how to make it better next time instead of crashing after you've passed right into the next tree and burst up in a fireball .
MMX07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
HeilSvenska
Regular User

^Yeahhhh, but you'd expect more when they've spent 3 years at the place.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:09 AM   #15
Spiffu
Regular User

These are the reasons why people with the bills aren't going to pay over 200 large for a Lexus

- No sports car development history for the (sorry, the SC's don't count)

- No racing pedigree to associate directly to the name

- A badge that is associated with middle age family goes to retiries in Florida than thoughts of driving with your hair on fire

- And the number one reason, it does't look like a 200 grand car. Look at the redesigned lambo gallardo. That exumes "wow!" the "I'm 8 years old again factor as Top Gear likes to say.
This doesn't do that at all. It's a rather standard sports car design with some fancy headlights. Is it a 200 grand looking car? Not by a long shot.

Performance wise it might do outstandingly, initial figures suggest as much. But if I'm going to buy a front engine sports car that make me a part of the seat, I'll get a Z06, GTR, or a 911 Turbo. which are less than half the price of that car. And probably perform almost as well.

Lexus needs to take a step back and re-evaulate the price of this car. I honestly think it's a reaction to the development costs it's accured over the very long time of the project. At most I think it's worth $120,000. And thats stretch. Maybe $150,000 fully equipped.

I would rather buy the new Ferrari California or a Lambo Gallardo 560 than that. I think it would have been better to label it a Toyota, given the succiess Nissan is having with the GTR. (instead of branding it an infinity)

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote