Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Japanese Cars

Japanese Cars Japanese car discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Nissan doesn't like tuners- says owners manual

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/29/n...th-perfection/

We just experienced firsthand the unbridled awesomeness contained within the body shell of Nissan's new über-Mechagodzilla, the GT-R. Apparently, Nissan is a true believer in the car's kickassedness and would prefer if owner's didn't eff it up with superfluous wings, flares and other accoutrements that have no hope of making the car better than it already is. Those who have imported a JDM GT-R to the United States will find this page in their owner's manual that warns in no uncertain terms against pulling a Paul Walker on their GT-R. Just leave the car be, folks. You can't do better than what Nissan already did, so don't try.

UPDATE: Before you even ask, yes, you can get this on a T-shirt. Someone has already fired up Cafepress.com to produce tees in both white and black (even more colors available if you hit "black" link) for $14.99. We've ordered six eight so far.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
T-Bird
Regular User

yeah I saw this before on Cobb's website. They also tell you to wave a flare at the train if you break down on the tracks...
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
yeah I saw this before on Cobb's website. They also tell you to wave a flare at the train if you break down on the tracks...
Does the car come standard with the flare Otherwise that's the most useless tip ever.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
LOL - dont the trains in Japan run at like 800mph or something

I am guessing even at 250mph the oncoming train will have noting to do in reaction to a waving flare hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
toffytofik
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
Does the car come standard with the flare Otherwise that's the most useless tip ever.
Looks like the flare is included. And there's another very useful tip how to avoid the train!

Here're the rest of the funny pics from the manual:

Originally Posted by blogs.cobbtuning.com
In my opinion, Japanese car manuals have the BEST illustrations. Here are a few memorable ones from the new R35 GT-R manual.

First up, a nice reminder not to let your soda can get behind your brake pedal. A bad situation in ANY vehicle!

If you’re unlucky enough to have your new R35 break down on a train track, use your included flare to alert the train operator. (Who thinks of these horrific scenarios?!?)

Real friends help you push your R35 off the train track and clear of certain disaster. Just remember to put the transmission into Neutral, or else you may lose your precious R35… oh yeah and some things called friends.

Commented later on:

"the train scenario are pretty common in Japan, where most people still use trains to get to work and live very near one.

Those aren’t friends… the manual said just get people nearby to help you push it out. I’m sure the dude can get the entire neighborhood to help him push a GT-R to safety. The guy may even give you a ride!"
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

"the train scenario are pretty common in Japan, where most people still use trains to get to work and live very near one.
They'd better hope that new GT-R's breaking down isn't a common scenario.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
satcomvato
Regular User

Those pictures really take me back to when my wife and I lived in Japan. You would see cartoon-like warning signs everywhere. About the flare, a working flare is required in every car in Japan in order to pass inspection. About trains, I'm amazed that there isn't at least 20 people per day killed by trains. They tracks are in heavily populated areas with plenty of foot traffic, and a train blazes by at about 40-50mph. They have a warning noise and plastic tubes that lower as barriers to keep you from crossing, but it seems much more dangerous than trains in the states.

The fast trains are called the Shinkansen, and they don't have ordinary crossings like local trains do. Local trains could easily stop if the operator saw some car in the middle of the track.
satcomvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by satcomvato View Post
About the flare, a working flare is required in every car in Japan in order to pass inspection.
Interesting, and has some merit to it. Didn't know that one.

The cartoons are fantastic, gotta love the Japanese.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
silentm
Regular User

come to think of it ... a can of soda behind the braking pedal ain't THAT bad... i mean you can crush it easily (let's assume you have consumed the beverage beforehand eh? ) but with a galss bottle that may be a different matter
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Originally Posted by silentm View Post
come to think of it ... a can of soda behind the braking pedal ain't THAT bad... i mean you can crush it easily (let's assume you have consumed the beverage beforehand eh? ) but with a galss bottle that may be a different matter

I had a very bad accident once due to a coffee mug that fell and lodged itself behind the brake pedal, I had no time to get it out, I had to brake hard due to stupid bastard in truck slamming on his brakes in front of me, I pulled the E-brake, dropped the car from 3rd to first, let go of gas, it slowed down... I still ended up wit a messed up hood my car went under this huge pickup.

since that day, I religiously keep anything away from the inside of the car, some people think it is rude, but you don't drink anything in my ride
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
bluedemon

^ Hell I took out the cup holders in my car so no drinks allowed either, its called a love of cars, so I only hang out with people who hav the same love.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
hail_of_contraband
Regular User

I've got things stuck behind brake and clutch pedals more than once, including my own foot. My problem is that i get so bored on freeways, i hate long, straight roads, especially in cars with low gearing.
Also, interior appearance isn't so big for me, considering i don't have carpets
hail_of_contraband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #13
Evo8
Regular User

Wonder why is it so hard to put the pedal lever into some sort of a plastic well, so that nothing can get stuck behind it....
Old 09-20-2008, 02:46 AM   #14
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by bluedemon View Post
^ Hell I took out the cup holders in my car so no drinks allowed either, its called a love of cars, so I only hang out with people who hav the same love.
None of my 3 cars ever had cup holders to begin with. Having cleaned up after the previous owners in each car, I have no desired to bring my cars' interiors back to that state as a result of not being able to wait to eat for a few minutes. This also prevents one's car from smelling funky.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:27 AM   #15
Mattk
Regular User

Wonder why is it so hard to put the pedal lever into some sort of a plastic well, so that nothing can get stuck behind it....
And how do you propose to use the pedals? Poke them with your big toe? Pedals need to be raised so you can depress them easily.