Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 02-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
1zippo1
Regular User

Default Autocar - BMW Alpina B7 vs Merc S65AMG

Since there were multiple requests I scanned the article. There are a couple more coming. The quality is far from what TT or Noosee post but it's certainly readable. The images are a bit weird because I have an old scanner. I tried multiple setting but this gave the best result.

1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
Ghostbat
Regular User

0-60mph in 5,4 sec for the S65 sounds very strange to me. Mercedes own spec of the S65 is 0-62mph (1-100km/h) in 4.4sec and when tested by swedish AMS the S65 did 0-100km/h in 4.28sec and in 4.9sec with five persons in the car.

Edit: I see now that it was tested in the wet. Still can't believe that they chose the Aplina over the S65. Kinda pointless to test a 612bhp beast in the wet but I guess it's raining almost all the time in England
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
mindgam3
Regular User

Kinda pointless having a 612hp beast that you can't put the power down in whether wet or dry
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
bmwmpower
Regular User

? that S cost 142 000, B7 cos only half, this is so brutal,
yes is fast, but thats mega price,
thanks for scan
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Kinda pointless having a 612hp beast that you can't put the power down in whether wet or dry
IMO 0-100km/h in 4.3sec is "putting the power down".
Old 02-12-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
For a 612bhp car? Not really.... maybe for motorway crusing and overtaking all the torque and power is handy, but for a sportscar, its near useless, and as EVO states... the SL55 AMG is definately the better car to go for. Especially 0-60 is only 4.7 for the 55 and is £50,000 cheaper, £50,000 more for unusable power is stupid in my view and anyone who buys one has not got any sense. Even more so when you consider the alternatives.... ferrari 575, AM vanquish, AM DB9 + track car, SL55 AMG + track car... ferrari 430 + track car... there's so many better options i really don't see the point of it to be honest
Old 02-12-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
philios55
Regular User

Default Re: Autocar - BMW Alpina B7 vs Merc S65AMG

First of all a big thanks to 1zippo1 for this great scans which i requested many times. Now for this comparisons i know BMW 7 series is good car especially with alpina modifications but there is no way to take this BMW over the awesome and still the king of the class the Mercedes S65.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
bmwmpower
Regular User

Default Re: Autocar - BMW Alpina B7 vs Merc S65AMG

Originally Posted by philios55
First of all a big thanks to 1zippo1 for this great scans which i requested many times. Now for this comparisons i know BMW 7 series is good car especially with alpina modifications but there is no way to take this BMW over the awesome and still the king of the class the Mercedes S65.
S class is expensive, you can have 2 B7 for one S,
and imagine if will alpina built car in S65 AMG price, how great it will be
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #9
Ghostbat
Regular User

For a 612bhp car? Not really.... maybe for motorway crusing and overtaking all the torque and power is handy, but for a sportscar, its near useless, and as EVO states... the SL55 AMG is definately the better car to go for. Especially 0-60 is only 4.7 for the 55 and is £50,000 cheaper, £50,000 more for unusable power is stupid in my view and anyone who buys one has not got any sense. Even more so when you consider the alternatives.... ferrari 575, AM vanquish, AM DB9 + track car, SL55 AMG + track car... ferrari 430 + track car... there's so many better options i really don't see the point of it to be honest
You crack me up dude. What you pretty much say is that the S65 isn't a fast car. Are you serious when you say that i.e the ferrari 430 and AM DB9 are alternatives to the S65? The point of this car is to be the fastest luxury saloon, the end! And guess what, it is. And forget about the money issue when you talk about this car. it's not meant to be a common car on the street.

Edit: maybe you confused it with the SL65?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #10
mindgam3
Regular User

You crack me up dude. What you pretty much say is that the S65 isn't a fast car. Are you serious when you say that i.e the ferrari 430 and AM DB9 are alternatives to the S65? The point of this car is to be the fastest luxury saloon, the end! And guess what, it is. And forget about the money issue when you talk about this car. it's not meant to be a common car on the street.

shit :roll: lol, yes i did confuse it with the SL65, didnt read the subject properly... but still, it is £140k, and I don't see the point on spending that much on what is basically an S class with more power and twice the price tag..... very nearly as pointless as the SL65 but not quite
Old 02-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
Ghostbat
Regular User

All supercars are pretty pointless in transportation terms but atleast in the S-Class you can bring 4 friends/bizzos wiith you 8)

shit :roll: lol, yes i did confuse it with the SL65, didnt read the subject properly... but still, it is £140k, and I don't see the point on spending that much on what is basically an S class with more power and twice the price tag..... very nearly as pointless as the SL65 but not quite
All supercars are pretty pointless in terms of transportation but atleast you can bring 4 friends/bizzos with you in the S-Class 8)

If you don't like "pointless" cars one might wonder what you are doing in this forum
Old 02-13-2005, 07:34 AM   #12
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Nice scan but highlights once more that there isn't really a "need" for this much power in an S-Class.

Not to say that I don't want this much power though..

Given the money to spend on a big Mercedes, I would have to agree with JC and pick up an SL55 instead
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:13 AM   #13
Just_me
Regular User

what about a n Apina B7 and new M5 for the price of one S65
Old 02-14-2005, 02:16 PM   #14
caneswell
Regular User

As pirelli often say. Power is nothing without control, which is what the majority of these massive power mercs are lacking. Would always prefer a less powerfull car that doesn't have to rely on electronics to stay on the road, or to stop it breaking its own gearbox!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #15
mindgam3
Regular User

All supercars are pretty pointless in transportation terms but atleast in the S-Class you can bring 4 friends/bizzos wiith you 8)

All supercars are pretty pointless in terms of transportation but atleast you can bring 4 friends/bizzos with you in the S-Class 8)

If you don't like "pointless" cars one might wonder what you are doing in this forum
But why would anyone want a £140k S class? :S

If your spending that much on a 4 seater, get something like a bentley or something with a lot more class....

Or if you want something with the same sort of style, get an RS6+ and put a few mods on it for about £70k - half the price.... and you can get a lot more in an estate

If you want something powerful and sporty, get something like a DB9 or 575....

There's no point having that much power in something that is that heavy for that price