Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 10-28-2003, 04:17 AM   #61
Fluxlo
Regular User

It's funny how the superior handling "better track car" (the 360 if you didn't get the hints of sarcaism yet) runs the Nordschleife (one of the ultimate, if not the ultimate tracks to test the overall handling and performance capabilities of a car) 13 seconds slower than a 911 turbo (which runs a 7:56, same with the 2003 vette z06 and NSX-R). Though the 360 is a very good example of a pure sportscar (great handling, lightweight, good balance, responsive), it is no match for the 911 turbo with it's gobs of torque, leech like grip, and fantastic handling. If the world was a perfect place, i'd have a turbo for everyday driving and a 360 for the weekends. But since the world is far from that. I'd pick the porsche.
Fluxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 06:06 PM   #62
alondahan
Regular User

Originally Posted by Fluxlo
It's funny how the superior handling "better track car" (the 360 if you didn't get the hints of sarcaism yet) runs the Nordschleife (one of the ultimate, if not the ultimate tracks to test the overall handling and performance capabilities of a car) 13 seconds slower than a 911 turbo (which runs a 7:56, same with the 2003 vette z06 and NSX-R). Though the 360 is a very good example of a pure sportscar (great handling, lightweight, good balance, responsive), it is no match for the 911 turbo with it's gobs of torque, leech like grip, and fantastic handling. If the world was a perfect place, i'd have a turbo for everyday driving and a 360 for the weekends. But since the world is far from that. I'd pick the porsche.
the turbo and the z06 don't run 7:56 in the ring. a 911 gt3 runs 7:56, and it's much faster than a turbo or a zo6. and the 360 was proven to be faster than a turbo and a zo6 around a track.
alondahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 06:13 PM   #63
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Fluxo the runs and Nordschliefe mean nothing, because they are driven by different people who arent really pushing their cars for obvious reasons.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:38 PM   #64
maalox
Regular User

Originally Posted by alondahan
the turbo and the z06 don't run 7:56 in the ring. a 911 gt3 runs 7:56, and it's much faster than a turbo or a zo6. and the 360 was proven to be faster than a turbo and a zo6 around a track.

Where has the 360 been proven to be faster around a track? I've always seen the Turbo quoted as the faster one.
maalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:45 PM   #65
alondahan
Regular User

Originally Posted by maalox
Originally Posted by alondahan

Where has the 360 been proven to be faster around a track? I've always seen the Turbo quoted as the faster one.
I posted links to 2 R&T tests (just 2 of many tests in many magazines). just look in the older posts.
alondahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:32 PM   #66
Fluxlo
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Fluxo the runs and Nordschliefe mean nothing, because they are driven by different people who arent really pushing their cars for obvious reasons.
A statement such as this could be argued either way, and is thus invalid (someone could have just as easily said that for the r&t tests)

alondahan - according to the nurburging website, those numbers ARE real. To be sure i'll scour the web for more sources for precision sake

This is what i've got so far

http://www.nurburgring.de/?rubrik=rekorde&lang=eng
http://bmwdeler.no/nordschleife.html

and if you look closely at the first site you'll noticed that the same person tested both cars, as well as over half the cars recorded there. I'm sure he shows little favour to one car or another, he's just trying to push every one of em as hard as possible, but of course it's hard to be sure of that unless you're the driver himself.

I'll keep looking though
Fluxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:44 PM   #67
scubywrxr
Regular User

I would put my money on the turbo around a medium to fast track.. 360 may have the edge on a twistier circuit though.. anyone willn to lend me their 996 TT or 360 so that we can settle this once and for all?
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:56 PM   #68
CarreraGtRacer

911 Turbo...IMO better looks, better performance and in the rain the 360 Modena stands no chance at all...well in the dry it stood no chance but still in the rain bye bye
CarreraGtRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:23 AM   #69

damn, still going.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:24 AM   #70
PATo355
Regular User

Of course the Modena ... and the Spyder , good looking , fast , and a ferrari
While the turbo looks a little outdated now ... it needs a facelift , the Ferrari in some time will bcome a classic ... while the Turbo just another old turbo :fadein:

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:34 AM   #71
HoboPie
Regular User

The Nurburgring is a rather unique place, first it is an odd track that is unlike anything Ferrari's are designed for.

The second thing is, Porsche essentially lives on that track. They design their cars to go quickly there. It is certainly a good testing ground, but not the only place in the world.

In mean in general the Enzo is probably a little quicker than the CGT, but at Nurburgring it is a littel slower. Also what is especially important is not a cars limit, but the drivers confidence. If he feels safer he will go faster, the 360 is a high powered rwd, not the safest thing in the world.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:47 AM   #72
Ziploc
Regular User

to me the balance of the ferrari would provide more driver satsifaction and more involement

the 4wd of the turbo is great for times but not the greatest for 'active' handling
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:57 PM   #73
Fleischmann
Regular User

Without ant hesitation I'd pick the germn car. The porsche is just so good looking, I'ts a shame I can't say the same about the Modena. Well, it in't exactly ugly, but it's lost some of the good looks from its predecessor - the 355.
Fleischmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:03 PM   #74
crasherror
Regular User

I love the turbo it is an absolute monster and it will always be a classic. the ferrari will age just as well as the mondial did. I feel the the porsche will have a classic design that will always be regarded as one of the best cars in history. Plus you can use a Porsche in any weather or use it as daily transport.