Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-29-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
cooperluke
Regular User

Default Seat Leon Cupra R

Hi... Yesterday I was test driving a Seat Leon Cupra R... 225hp.. and it is something really good, the car had 4wd, so the grip was never a problem, even in a bad road you could always slam the throttle peddal that it would respond very well.
And for the price.. the car as lots of equipment... Recaro Seats, GPS, beautiful 18'' wheels, Brembo Brakes...

And the engine... it responds very very well...
Hi had driven an Audi TT with the 180hp engine... and the Seat is a very superior car... in handling.. comfort... equipment... engine...

I would say that the TT is a car for the style, to go and impress the girls... the Seat is a drivers car!

Does anyone here have one? Impressions?

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:44 AM   #2
schnell318
Regular User

I was going to ask the same thing about the car being 4wd cause here they only sell them as FWD. Very nice car indeed...by the way, how much is that car in Portugal?
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:38 AM   #3
rsgti
Regular User

A very Nice Auto indeed !! ....but right now in El salvador (my country) they are selling it for round USD $ 35K and sorry but that is too much considering that you can get the Subaru WRX for $31K.

Still it is an awesome car and would definately take it over a Golf or a Civic
rsgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
SamuraiGti
Regular User

The first cupra and cupra R in Portugal were 4wd =)

they had the haldex system from vw, now they are all FR.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
SamuraiGti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
cooperluke
Regular User

The one I drove was surely 4WD... and if you go to seat portuguese page.. you see that there is the option of 4wd.
My opinion is that, although being heavier, the 4wd version is better because you can always put all the power on the road... the fwd version understeers much more easier!
Ho.. and with the stupid taxes that we have in Portugal, here the car costs 34.519 Euros the FWD version. If you want the 4wd.. you have to pay something more.. don't know how much..

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #6
novass

hey even this car looks good
Old 04-29-2004, 10:05 PM   #7
oscargarza88
Regular User

dani, i dididnt know either about the awd leon...
if the fwd is very cool the awd has to b exellent.
and thats a great car, the exterior is very seat and the interior is very conftrable.
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:07 AM   #8
SamuraiGti
Regular User

That's not really the quattro system from audi, is more a FR and when is needed he passes power to the rear wheels, Haldex System =P or better 4motion system =)

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Old 04-30-2004, 06:26 AM   #9
gis
Regular User

i like this car a lot.has a nice aggressive look to it and nice ammount of power.but thats also the first i heard of this new cupra R bein 4wd.ive always known it to be FWD

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:49 AM   #10
SamuraiGti
Regular User

The quattro system is differente from the 4motion system =P

ask you brother and he will confirm. Audi has this two system's of 4wd.

and trying to find out more information about this and will post here later =P

Old 04-30-2004, 06:58 AM   #11
SamuraiGti
Regular User

Quattro and 4-motion mean nothing technically. They are nothing but marketing terms.

Currently, VWAG has two AWD systems. They have a system that has a Torsen center diff and EDL on both ends. This is used in all Audis except for the TT and A3/S3. It is also used in the Passat(see a pattern here?). The Audi TT, A3/S3, VW Golf, VW Jetta as well as any other cars using the same platform have an AWD system with a Haldex clutch in the center. In addition, "Quattro" has been used to describe a few other systems through the years.

As you may have figured out, the Torsen system is used on the cars with a longitudinal engine layout where the Haldex is used on cars with a transverse layout. I have no idea why they do this but there must be some reason. As for which one is better, I doubt there's anyone except for VWAG engineers who truly know which performs better in a given condition.
from audi forum

The real audi quattro system uses torsen differential, and the 4motion uses Haldex =)

Quattro is a real 4wd, 4motion is a FR but when is needed some power is transfered to the back wheels.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:21 AM   #12
Imre

There are no 4wd cupra r`s.Perhaps you tried just cupra.Very nice car,love the rims.I have seen only one and it had the optional rear wing.Not very cool.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #13
schnell318
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
However, the Cupra R has never been 4WD. The very first one, the V6, was 4WD, but it was not the Cupra R.
I´m pretty sure about that too. So what were you driving then??
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #14
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

i think that your wrong the TT has much better handling, comfort, equipment and more.. the TT is a great car.. and the 225 is even better.. i dont see what people have against them..

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:08 PM   #15
jorge
Regular User

I really like the Leon, it´s a very attractive car. i also didn´t know it had 4wd
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote