Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > MotorWorld Car Reviews

Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default 2007 Porsche Caymen S - too good?

I Just got back from driving the new 2007 Cayman S. Some rough specs are 29xx lbs 295 hp, rear biased mid engine 2 seater.

This is easily the fastest 300~ hp car I've ever driven... by a long shot. In fact, no others I've driven with a rough 300 hp are even relatively close! The S197 Mustang GT is right out, the Evo is yesterday's news, same with the STi, and the NSX is just too athsmatic to compare.... In essence, every other ~300 hp sports car out there may as well drop off the face of the planet... why on earth would you want them?!?!

Drop the clutch from 3400, and your rewarded with near instant traction, after a slight wiggle from the back. The tach is quickly dialing the needle to 7000, with quick rev drop, and another short ratio in 2nd.... and again into third, a little taller now... suddenly, I'm well into tripple digit territory. I've heard stories that the car feels slow around that range, which I wish I could've tested... but alas, this was not the time nor place for such velocities. Tires chirp easily in 2nd and 3rd gears.

The throws are short, and dead on precision. The only thing that takes some getting used to is the speed at which the engine deccellerates, and how sensitive the throttle really is... excentuated by first gear's very tight ratio. It honestly feels violent, and will shake you... even being light on the release from on through "less on" throttle positions.

All this changing gears, and I've forgotten to mention the most annoying thing about driving the Cayman S... there is tremendous transmission noise for a road car... unoquivically the most I've ever experienced in a road car. It does get less with each ratio, and by 6th, its little but a slight whine.... but hard 1-3, it doesn't seem like you are that far off from driving a cup car exaggerated exponentially as you reach the rev limiter.

Clutch feel is progressive, and is easy to modulate, nothing extravagent, light, nor heavy... much like the brakes, and the steering. No drama, but this car definately makes me look good at what I'm doing. Brakes are good, but i'm sure would work much better on a smoother surface, rather then the cement and mortar gaps newly contracted once again in this milder cool weather (40 F).

Grip... point and go, but tougher with throttle modulation with the natural pedal throw... aka, I need more practice in this car. On call over steer at lower speeds, and I didn't try in sweepers, as only the trees will catch my fall The car has ZERO bad manners.

Interior fits the normal porsche bill with comfort, quality feeling parts, solid and rigid movable pieces, and a functional dashbord... which would honestly take some getting used to. I'm used to a whooping one lever on my steering colum, and the Cayman S has no less then 3... or was it 4? The options list would only complicate things, but I'd certainly get used to it.

That is the thing that worries me. Porsche have made a car that howlse on the Peter Paul and Mary side of wild. You'd be ok letting a n00b drive your car through the woods, because its neigh impossible to go wrong in it. It is undeniably engineered to fit a gap between the Boxter and 911, but for how long? We have long known the rear engine isn't ideal... what will be the model range after 998? will the 999 have it's roots further in Cayman chronology then 911?

I find that in the persuit of perfection, Porsche may in fact loose the raw appeal and visceral driving experience they have always provided. The 911 is still the car to buy; but only time will tell before it too passes the way of 356, 914, 944, 928 before it.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
TopGearNL
Regular User

Title says Caymen, or was this on purpose?
Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ Excellent review nth. Hmm, would you pick the new Cayman over an old 996?

Porsche actually has done really well in terms of extracting all it can from a rear engine platform. And now they couple that with the latest electronics. The 911 is still the car to beat right now. I think. But you are right, a few more generation of refinement, the Cayman might actually take over.

Since inherently a MR car is better than a RR car.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

:good: nice writeup indeed! 8)

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
gucom
Regular User

nice review 8) sounds like a proper porsche (never doubted it was). From an emotional point of view i hope they'll be producing the 911 forever, but they're apparently already limiting the potential of the mid-engined cars quite a lot, they shouldn't make lesser cars just to save the 911...

btw, one odd thing i've noticed recently, when it was still current i always disliked the 996, but now every time i see it, i like it more especially the subtle carrera's with the old headlamps... nostalgia maybe?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
TopGearNL
Regular User

Great Write up NTH!

You seem to explain every aspect of the car, and I like that!

Im sure that this really is the best car you can get if you stay under 300HP reading this article!

However Im not a big fan of its looks, so I would probably go for the Z4M
despite it not being the better car..
Old 04-11-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
chest3r
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
However Im not a big fan of its looks, so I would probably go for the Z4M
despite it not being the better car..
Exactly my thoughts! I rather prefer the Z4 M Coupe 8)
Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
sameerrao
Regular User

Good review.

I have driven the earlier generation Boxster and didnt find the throttle issue that you mentioned. I wonder if they have to gone to electronic throttles in the newer car.

I think both cars (Boxster and Cayman) are chassis looking for more powerful engines.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

*cough* Ruf RK Coupe *cough*
*cough* TechArt GT Sport *cough*

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
harryo2b
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Good write-up Nth - I really like this Porsche... and I'd seriously consider it given the money. Looks cool and different, and doesn't look as the poser thing the Boxster is With the 19in wheels of the 997S, it looks just great!

BTW - do you have any pics for the index?
Well hell Dani, since the 987S is a poser car I won't be letting you lap it around the 'Ring come the JW meeting as I intended on see what you could do with it around the famous track. Shame.

Just f*cking with you!

Really though the 987S is just as good of a car as the Cayman S. Why? Well certainly not because it's a convertible, even I don't appreciate soft tops but impatience led to my purchase, but because both cars in "S" trip provide the same fun and numbers except the Boxster is $3.5K cheaper?!$!# Do I wish I had the Cayman S, not really unless the pricing strategy was reversed. Do I wish I had the 997, oh hell yeah I do. Too bad being realistic and being able to enjoy the fine things in life like (world travel, cycling, planes, R/C) won't let me have it until a later date.

Either way they are great cars and with the mid mount of the motor and small nimble chassis these cars are loads of fun on both tight tracks and back country roads.

Good write up! Did i miss the pics or are there none?!

2006 Porsche Boxster S/Atlas Grey Metallic/Black/Black/6 spd
Canon 30D/17-85 IS/70-200 4L IS/580EXII/430EX/B+W Filters
harryo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
TopGearNL
Regular User

^^ Dani will be apologising at record breaking speed
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
gucom
Regular User

^^hahah good job defending your great car 8) porsche doesn't really make lousy cars, well maybe the v6 cayenne... but from what i read the Boxter is indeed 1 hell of a proper sports car
Old 04-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
TopGearNL
Regular User

Wasn't there a test somewhere on JW recently where the Boxster was actually faster then the Cayman, was it around the Ring?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
ae86_16v
Regular User

Yeah mean like this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/11/r...ctr3-supercar/

Damn look at those hips!!!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
silentm
Regular User

what an excellente write-up! it was really fun to read it. not the biggest fan of the Cayman, because of the rear end but meh i'd take it anyday if i had the chance
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote