Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #16
KaBlookie
Regular User

Location: born near Toronto, Canada, living near Philly, PA, USA

Originally Posted by hemi_fan
Gemballa has black rims on one side and polished rims on the other!?! other than that, nice truck
good observation 8) I think that they're either two different Cayennes, or they did that on purpose to see which set of wheels looks better, see what i'm saying? like they make one side look one way with the rims, and make the other side look another way with the rims, then they check out each side to see which one fits the best. that's my belief, anyways.

Now about the Cayenne V6. I feel the same way about this Cayenne as i did for when the Cayenne first came out. At first I was like, "BAH! what the hell was Porsche thinking?!?! how could they do this!?!?!" But then after actually thinking about it, it makes a ton of sense. As st-anger so truthfully pointed out, "Porsche is the world's most profitable car maker." So to keep it that way, they decided to enter into the SUV market, and make an amazing entrance, opting not to skimp on ANYTHING whatsoever, creating the purest Porsche SUV they possibly could have. Now with this V6 Cayenne, again at first I was very skeptical, but after really thinking about it, it makes sense, cause they really need (and want) to keep their above-mentioned title, and being Porsche, they tried their best to make it as good of an affordable, pure Porsche SUV as they could.

so that's my 2 cents :shock:

Peace
Brian

96 Acura Integra SE sedan with some goodies
KaBlookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:59 PM   #17
666fast
Regular User

St. Anger, would you have any idea of why they didn't put the normal manual gearbox in the Turbo and they did in the V6 version? I find that wierd.
As for the Cayenne, I love it. I even have a huge poster of a green Turbo on my wall!
Old 12-03-2003, 09:05 AM   #18
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
St. Anger, would you have any idea of why they didn't put the normal manual gearbox in the Turbo and they did in the V6 version? I find that wierd.
As for the Cayenne, I love it. I even have a huge poster of a green Turbo on my wall!
to make it simple, the auto box fits better to the engine characteristics especially of the TT`s engine...
and believe me, there won´t be much customers to order a 6speed manu in a car like the 955TT so (as always) it had also been a marketing strategy.
the auto box is the better choice, even at the track it performs very, very well and you needn`t need to shift with buttons...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:31 AM   #19
TT
Regular User

BTW st-anger, what about the sound of the Cayenne V6?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:50 AM   #20
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
BTW st-anger, what about the sound of the Cayenne V6?
well, don´t expect too much, it`s hard to describe it, but IMO nothing special, not the typical flat six from the 911, but alco not comparable with the V8`s...
the best sound definitely has the "S", a typical n/a V8 sound, because you know, turbos are a sound engineer´s worst enemy
Porsche 911
Old 12-03-2003, 10:56 AM   #21
TT
Regular User

Hehe of course I know I was just wondering if it's similar to a Golf R32 for instance... but I know it's hard to describe so I'll wait for it to hit the streets
Old 12-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #22
draak666
Regular User

Obviously every company tries to be profitable. But a Porsche that gets beaten by a Mazda or whatever at the traffic lights, that doesn't feel right to me. Let me put it this way: if Porsche found it necessary only to build the slower cars and not the fast ones anymore just to remain the most profitable brand on the market, would you still desire the brand 'Porsche'? I wouldn't, so IMO it ruins the name a little.

And as st-anger said it's still a good car, I believe him. Really. But it's just 'good', and not 'great', as I would expect when I'm buying a Porsche. :roll:
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:10 PM   #23
st-anger
Regular User

I definitely see your point 666, you can imagine nearly all the ppl are thinking like you, whenever ppl hear “Porsche”, the are thinking of the 911 modell range ( e.g. TT, GT3, GT2…) and Porsche as a supercar manufacturer ( e.g. CGT, GT1, 959, 956…)
but IMO we`ve to think further, Porsche won`t only be “911”+ some exclusive rides nearly no one can afford, we are entering nearly all segments in the next few years, a Porsche for everyone, a CGT for those who are passionate enough to spend so much money for their favourite brand, the 911 series for the “true” Porsche customers, the Cayenne for those who need a Porsche daily driver for the family and in a couple of years a 4-door sedan or coupe for those who want a faster saloon than a M5, RS6, E55… AND a Boxster or Cayenne V6 for those who can`t afford a “better” Porsche or as I said before, just to “test” a cheap Porsche and after some years they`ll buy a 911 or whatever…
I know you said that Porsche should concentrate on decent sports cars ( best example in this connection: CGT ) but most of the ppl don`t know that it`s extremely expensive to develop/design and build such cars, and Porsche gains from the money they earn from the less expensive cars for developing new supercars. just an example, Porsche could have taken any engine out of their range for the CGT, simply modify and turbocharge it and it`d also have 600+hp, but they´d choosen the hard and very expensive way and took the V10 LeMans engine, developed a own clutch especially for this car, a carbon fiber body with ATR, note that even for Ferrari it`d been too expensive to design the whole chassis of carbon fiber, so they only have the monocoque from ATR…
so Porsche not only needs such modells for being the world's most profitable car maker they also need the money to develop the Porsches that we love…
Porsche 911
Old 12-03-2003, 03:59 PM   #24
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger
they also need the money to develop the Porsches that we love…
I perfectly understand that, but just kills the whole brand. Why cant Porsche make a new brand name for the cars that are cheap? I think they should keep the PORSCHE brand and keep making the Porsches that we love, and have another brand for Porsches that we "dont love", or the Porsche that we "dont expect to come out of Porshce". Like Lexus and Toyota. Or Honda and Acura. Or no one will buy the cheaper cars because it does not have the Porsche badge?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:08 PM   #25
TT
Regular User

Or no one will buy the cheaper cars because it does not have the Porsche badge?
I fear that's the point.. believe it or not, it's full of ppl that like to tell when asked: "I own a Porsche".. and maybe they have the basic Boxster, no optional and so on so I'm sure there will be lot of ppl buying a cheap Cayenne because it's a Porsche afterall, while a new badge will need years to have a wide market IMO..

It's a little sad maybe, but I'm almost sure things work like that
Old 12-03-2003, 04:09 PM   #26
scubywrxr
Regular User

I agree with SFDmalex. If Porsche wants to make cheaper cars, start a new brand division to not tarnish the image of true Porsches. Look at what mercedes did with SMART.

A saloon Porsche? what next ? a 4X4.. oops they did that one already ..hehe..
A new brand name with the same Porsche Quality at a cheaper price, more profitable for the real Porsches to be developed - that would be much better and the Porsche sportscar brand name wil be preserved.
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:11 PM   #27
course
Regular User

Good comments st-anger..

Porsche says it must build that SUV to remain profitable... as for the V6, well you don't have to buy it. It is not because it is Porsche and because it exists that you must buy. VW V6 or not, I would never get a Cayenne, period.

All of that (Cayenne and V6) is not relavant to me. It is not my cup of tea. But it is fine, as long as Porsche still builds great cars.
course is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:03 PM   #28
hemi_fan
Regular User

[quote="scubywrxr"]A saloon Porsche? what next ? a 4X4.. oops they did that one already ..hehe..[quote]

I know! I know! im all excited now... sitting here waiting for the release of the ALL NEW Porsche Pick-up!!! yeehaw! haul ur dirt at 170mph lol

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:22 PM   #29
hemi_fan
Regular User

OH LOOK, AND HERE IT IS!!!

(Sorry if I offended anyone with my terrible Photoshop skills. lol)

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:56 PM   #30
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by st-anger
the 6speed gearbox is quite good, but gearshift lever travel is too long and the auto from the TT is way better for that SUV. suspension is quite the same as in the S and TT, way stiffer than in the Touareg. so it´s possible to drive the 955 V6 sporty, but there`s really no comparison to the S or TT in any way, just like when a 911 is compared with a Boxster.
so IMO it´s not crap and it IS a Porsche, no question, but the heart of a decent sports car driver is bleeding when seeing that Cayenne...
Wow, I didn't know the Cayenne was aviable with a 6 speed, that makes it a little better IMO that it has a 6 speed as an option. I am still bleeding at heart whenever I see one...

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote