Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-20-2005, 12:45 AM   #16
7thgear
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21
Well actually i am suprised. Very.
How does the MC12 - a car with 100 less Horsepower, 400 pounds heavier, and proportions less conducive to a quick lap time manage to lap faster than the Enzo?
I don't get it at all...
I dont think those numbers are very acurate m8...
Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.
7thgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:10 AM   #17
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
not to mention (if anybody ever notices) cars that TG like, the cars take totally different lines through the corners to make them appear like they are going at the limit, where its definitely a slower line... for example, the F430 should've never hit the tire barrier... the TVR should not have taken such big cuts through the apex...

the vette should never have oversteered so crazy... just watch the laps

they are great fun to watch, but hardly comparable :roll:
That’s interesting and sure, I don’t think anyone holds the Top Gear lap times as "gospel". But I'm not sure what you are complaining about... Do you have an example of a more accurate track testing method than what Top Gear and 5th Gear are trying to do?

You have to remember they are shooting at least 3 cars a day. Which means the Stig, or whoever only has less than a day to familiarize himself with the cars. How can you expect every line to be perfect? In fact that is kind of the point. I mean any driver that has put hundreds of hours in on the same car is going to be able to control it better than a driver that has had a day or two at best to get used to it.

Until we have android drivers I would say it’s still a pretty fair test. Arguing that a car could have had better lines and a better time with a driver that really knows the car… well is about as appropriate as people that try to slip the mod argument into production car discussions.

If you want it to be perfect you would have to have each car come with a driver that had specifically put many hours driving time in on that car.

Edit: I guess you could put drivers that have a lot of hours in the same car but are new to the track against those that are new to the cars but have hours of experience on the same track… Se which does better….

And that would still not be good enough… Let’s just demand that all cars are driven by drivers with lots of hours in both the cars and on the track..???

Bla bla bla…!! :roll:
Global Warming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:54 AM   #18
Herceg
Regular User

well anything can happen...ive heard of a 360 challenge beating an F430 by a .3 of a secone only because the 360 is riding on better tires than the 430...its odd how the little things count
Herceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #19
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
not to mention (if anybody ever notices) cars that TG like, the cars take totally different lines through the corners to make them appear like they are going at the limit, where its definately a slower line... for example, the F430 should've never hit the tire barrier... the TVR should not have taken such big cuts through the apex...

the vette should never have oversteered so crazy... just watch the laps

they are great fun to watch, but hardly comparable :roll:
Yep, I noticed that too...

And on this particular lap, the start was pretty poor too; way too much wheelspin.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:01 AM   #20
gottacatchup
Regular User

The MC12 lapped faster for the sole reason that they needed a new car to take the top spot on the board to keep people interested.

But on the F430 lap on the start the Stig spun the wheels like crazy. Why didnt he use the launch control that gives you perfect starts everytime?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:44 PM   #21
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane

I guess he didn't want the driver aids to interfier elsewhere, so he had the button on "everything off" or whatever.
You can still use the LC with all the aids off

That F430 Lap was bullshit, he hit the tire barrier...
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:01 PM   #22
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

I guess he didn't want the driver aids to interfier elsewhere, so he had the button on "everything off" or whatever.

But the stig does 3 laps in each car and they use the fastest one. So even if he did get a bad start and hit the barrier it was still his best lap.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #23
mclaren_Gt
Regular User

dude you have to see the video, but really are the same time

1.18.9 and enzo 1.19.0

is the same problem betwen the pagani zonda and the koenigsegg, 1.23.8 and 123.9, is really the same time, if you put the 2 cars in a race, the enzo can win.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #24
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by mclaren_Gt
dude you have to see the video, but really are the same time

1.18.9 and enzo 1.19.0

is the same problem betwen the pagani zonda and the koenigsegg, 1.23.8 and 123.9, is really the same time, if you put the 2 cars in a race, the enzo can win.
Yes I have seen all Top Gears. The Enzo, Zonda, MC12.. I have not missed a Top Gear in 3 years...
Old 07-20-2005, 10:20 PM   #25
Driftzwerg
Regular User

Have you guys ever heard of the German magazines sportauto "supertest". 2 circuits, good data and no showing of....
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 PM   #26
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere

But the stig does 3 laps in each car and they use the fastest one. So even if he did get a bad start and hit the barrier it was still his best lap.
If thats the best he could manage from three attempts then Im utterly dissapointed in his driving skills.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #27
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere

If thats the best he could manage from three attempts then Im utterly dissapointed in his driving skills.
Well I admit it was not the best possible lap and it’s unfortunate that it happened on the 430 of all cars. But who knows what the story is, maybe the Bridgestone’s really do suck ass so much that with the TC turned completely off the car is just a beasts to try to control, even for professional drivers. At least that is what was implied.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:21 PM   #28
gtx28
Regular User

Guys its only a tenth of a second, that could be 100% driver, go watch a drag race youve eliminated the variables of the corners its a straight line. no driver is ever gonna get the exact same time every pass, the pros are withing 3 tenths for many passes so 1:19.0 and 1:18.9 are essentially the same car. If you had an enzo and ya mate had the mazerati, it would almost assuredly be up to the driver.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:37 PM   #29
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by gtx28
Guys its only a tenth of a second, that could be 100% driver, go watch a drag race youve eliminated the variables of the corners its a straight line. no driver is ever gonna get the exact same time every pass, the pros are withing 3 tenths for many passes so 1:19.0 and 1:18.9 are essentially the same car. If you had an enzo and ya mate had the mazerati, it would almost assuredly be up to the driver.
I agree.

But we were talking about the F430. I know its off topic and the funny thing is I started a thread about the 430 lap, but that was taken off topic by corvette talk for some reason lol.. I’m just trying to go with the flow...
Old 07-20-2005, 11:46 PM   #30
SilviaEvo
Regular User

that was a shitty time set down by the stig im disappointed too if that was his best out of three. he could have easily made it a lot faster.