Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #16
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
Originally Posted by thenumber1
The Conti GT is as common as a Focus near me. I have honestly seen more of them than Clio 182s
Try London during the rush hour. Worst part is, 99% of them are almost always the same colour (Either black or silver).

Ferrari is apparently going to be floated on the stock market, but not totally sold, according to the latest issue in CAR. I guess there's no harm in it, as long as the right people still hold the power in the company.

Better that then FIAT going under and taking everything with it... Alfa, Maserati, et al.
That was my source too

I agree about Ferrari, and about the Conti GTs.... so true
Old 04-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #17
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
Originally Posted by blah
Originally Posted by |Nuno|
Originally Posted by JiggaStyles09
:roll: i can see the moms in them now, going to their PTA meeting, on their cell phones, telling their friends that they just got a new bentley. well im sure it will sell like crazy.
You forgot about the "gangsta" rappers and their hoes...and all the bling bling...

This is a sad day for Bentley. Thanks Volkswagen!! :roll:
hey hey, lets not be hasty now. you can blame it on all and anyone who buys a fucking suv. everyone that thinks its kool to have a big suv that gets 12mpg. why do you think Porsche made an suv, they knew the fucktards would buy one so they made one and the same goes for Bentley, they know the fucktards will pay for them so they will invest money where its seen fit.
people wouldnt buy a bently SUV if there was no bentley SUV. THis is VAGs fault.
VAG's FAULT, what are you a moron. the only reason companies make SUV's is cause they know people will buy them. people are idiots espcially the americans that think bigger is better. why do you think Porsche decided to go with the idea of a suv, cause the market is wide open with retards what will buy them. this has nothing to do with VAG, they know that people will buy them and they know that the rappers and what not are big fans of Bentley and suvs, so you put 2 and 2 together and you get one hot item. i dont like that they are doing it, but they are doing it for thier best interest which is MONEY so i cant blame them.

and comment directly to yours, if companies didnt make SUV's then people wouldnt buy them, but they do and they are a hot item. not sure why but they are.
Of course its VAG's fault - yes they're doing it to make money but there's no point bringing the entire Bentley heritage down with it.... much like porsche have done with the cayenne.

Yes the money from the cayenne helped build the CGT - but i'd rather they thought up some other way of making money thant building an SUV.

BMW, VW, Merc SUV's i can just about cope with, even though most of them are pretty bad off road - but not porsche and bentley who have very prestigious sporting heritage.

As its a cross between a Touraeg and a Cayenne its not even going to be an original design.

VAG have just made an overpriced phaeton with the continental GT - but even that was keeping vaguely with Bentleys luxury and sporting history - this just takes the piss.

Maybe they should take a note out of BMW's notebook with the Phantom - now that is a true british roller, even if it is made by BMW.
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:14 PM   #18
Z3uS
Regular User

I think itll be nice, despite the fact that its another SUV.
Nice engine specs.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #19
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by goodduck
NOT BENTLY!!!
Originally Posted by racer_f50
that its Bently
bently SUV
Just an observation... all you protectors of the Bentley throne, please remember that even though we are on the net, Bentley still deserves to be spelt correctly
Old 04-07-2005, 05:25 AM   #20
stradale
Regular User

you too, man where is the common sense these days. companies like Porsche and Bentley only get into SUV's cause there is a demand for them.
what do you think they do, decide to invest money and hope for sales??
no, they look at the market, and notice that the SUV market is where its at and its the place to make money. so they invest it wisely make SUV's and sell them to the retards.

and this whole thing about heritage, sorry but when people are making money and have the oppurtunity to make more money heritage is the last thing on thier mind.

GREED from the companies and the DEMAND by customers you can thank for this SUV.

i could see if there wasnt a market for suvs, but there is a HUGE market and to be honest who the fuck cares about Bentley?? sure they are nice cars but even if i had the cash thats one of the last cars i would ever buy.

now all you school girls, STOP CRYING!!
You make the same mistake VAG makes. They underestimate what heritage means to a marque, especially in the long run. Introducing a Bentley SUV is a tell tale sign of trying to turn an exclusive marque into a profitable car maker quickly. This may work for a while, but as soon as the demand for SUVs or a similar popular concept dies down, the marque has lost all of its luster. The customers that were only attracted to the hype have gone by then and so have the long time dedicated customers who really have a bond with the marque. Heritage, identity and brand integrity are key when forming such a bond. These three things have been thrown overboard by VAG, even more so when this SUV monstrosity will arrive.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:46 AM   #21
crayzayjay
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Of course its VAG's fault - yes they're doing it to make money but there's no point bringing the entire Bentley heritage down with it.... much like porsche have done with the cayenne.

Yes the money from the cayenne helped build the CGT - but i'd rather they thought up some other way of making money thant building an SUV.
As much as i don't like to see Porsche SUV's and the like, it's naive to say that you'd rather the company 'found another way to make money'. In such a dire business environment for carmakers, especially ze Germans (with exchange rates being where they are at the moment), these companies really haven't got much of a choice when it comes to choosing projects. It's as simple as: "there's money in SUV's. We must make one". And yes, while it may have a negative impact on a brand, it keeps it alive. And in the case of Porsche, independent, out of the hands of some volume manufacturer like VW, and still making great sports cars.

Besides, this wouldn't be the first Bentley SUV

Edit:
Just an observation... all you protectors of the Bentley throne, please remember that even though we are on the net, Bentley still deserves to be spelt correctly
LOL

That does say something though...

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #22
blah
Regular User

:roll: i can see the moms in them now, going to their PTA meeting, on their cell phones, telling their friends that they just got a new bentley. well im sure it will sell like crazy.
You forgot about the "gangsta" rappers and their hoes...and all the bling bling...

hey hey, lets not be hasty now. you can blame it on all and anyone who buys a fucking suv. everyone that thinks its kool to have a big suv that gets 12mpg. why do you think Porsche made an suv, they knew the fucktards would buy one so they made one and the same goes for Bentley, they know the fucktards will pay for them so they will invest money where its seen fit.
people wouldnt buy a bently SUV if there was no bentley SUV. THis is VAGs fault.
VAG's FAULT, what are you a moron. the only reason companies make SUV's is cause they know people will buy them. people are idiots espcially the americans that think bigger is better. why do you think Porsche decided to go with the idea of a suv, cause the market is wide open with retards what will buy them. this has nothing to do with VAG, they know that people will buy them and they know that the rappers and what not are big fans of Bentley and suvs, so you put 2 and 2 together and you get one hot item. i dont like that they are doing it, but they are doing it for thier best interest which is MONEY so i cant blame them.

and comment directly to yours, if companies didnt make SUV's then people wouldnt buy them, but they do and they are a hot item. not sure why but they are.
a comapny like bentley doesnt have to make SUVs to stay competitive. They are int he 1000 unit per year and less market. Why are they eveing thinking about this? Why because VAG wants to make a quick buck off the people that will buy a Bentley SUV.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #23
stradale
Regular User

see enthusiasts like our selves look at things differently. but put your self in the position that the CEO's are in and the last thing on your mind is heritage. and to say other wise would be a lie.
I understand that CEO's have to make (or keep) a company profitable and can't always act upon sentiments, but my point is that it's not as simple as this. If these CEO's were doing their jobs right, they would understand heritage shouldn't be the last thing on their minds. It is essential to preserve it if a company like Bentley wants to be profitable in the long run as well.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #24
stradale
Regular User

I understand that CEO's have to make (or keep) a company profitable and can't always act upon sentiments, but my point is that it's not as simple as this. If these CEO's were doing their jobs right, they would understand heritage shouldn't be the last thing on their minds. It is essential to preserve it if a company like Bentley wants to be profitable in the long run as well.
and again, thinking to much like a enthusiast. the people who cared about heritage are long gone or have been influenced that bussiness is bussiness and heritage has no place in bussiness.

everyone has a different set of priorities, and thats the difference and deciding factor as to what goes and what doesnt go.
All I'm saying is (being an enthusiast or not), heritage does have an important place in business. The market of exclusive high end cars is the best example of where the heart rules over the head when purchasing a car. Heritage is an important factor. Not only for the die-hard car fans, but also for the posers. After all, they'd rather drive a car that makes bystanders go "Oooo, a ...." rather than "never heard of that". Heritage and business don't cancel each other out (just look at Ferrari), they're supposed to be working together in this market.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #25
blah
Regular User

a comapny like bentley doesnt have to make SUVs to stay competitive. They are int he 1000 unit per year and less market. Why are they eveing thinking about this? Why because VAG wants to make a quick buck off the people that will buy a Bentley SUV.
sorry man, its no way that its VAG's fault.

heres a example, kid plays video game, video game is violent, kid goes to school takes scissors and stabs another kid, kid says he saw it in the video game.
whos to blame. the video game and the makers of the game??
or the parents who BOUGHT THE VIOLENT GAME, and didnt take responsibilty as parents to supervise what thier kids watch and play??

video game makers make violent games for one reason, THEY SELL, if some kid goes out and kills cause of it, it shouldnt have to fall on the makers shoulders.

so, VAG sees that people like SUV's and they are going to take advantage of it and make as many as they can and make money. its the nature of bussiness.

seems like everyone that is getting mad at Bentley is only looking at things one way and not the whole pic. things are not only black and white there is alot of GRAY area that you people dont seem to be looking at.

and again, thinking to much like a enthusiast. the people who cared about heritage are long gone or have been influenced that bussiness is bussiness and heritage has no place in bussiness.

everyone has a different set of priorities, and thats the difference and deciding factor as to what goes and what doesnt go.
Thats a terrible example. No one would be able to buy a Bentley SUV if Bentley didnt make an SUV. Thats pure and simple. I dont see bentley customers going over to Bentley HQ and going into the factory and building the SUVs themselves.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:27 PM   #26
RC45
Regular User

I dont see bentley customers going over to Bentley HQ and going into the factory and building the SUVs themselves.
...or even wanting them - people in the market for a Bentley - any Bentley - already have Range Rovers, Cayenne Turbo's, H1's, G-Wagons, Lincoln Navigators (if they are rappers) and a string of 7 series Beemers, S Class Benz's and maybe a RR or 2....

Why the fuck would they want or even care about a Bentley SUV? That's not why they slot a Bentley in the garage in the first place....
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #27
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
I dont see bentley customers going over to Bentley HQ and going into the factory and building the SUVs themselves.
...or even wanting them - people in the market for a Bentley - any Bentley - already have Range Rovers, Cayenne Turbo's, H1's, G-Wagons, Lincoln Navigators (if they are rappers) and a string of 7 series Beemers, S Class Benz's and maybe a RR or 2....

Why the fuck would they want or even care about a Bentley SUV? That's not why they slot a Bentley in the garage in the first place....
Thank you.

Also rappers wont touch this SUV, the Escalade has them in a deathlock.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #28
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

Maybe that's the case in th US, but in England, the Conti GT is seen as a multi-purpose-vehicle, and as such, that may be one of maybe only two or three cars that the owner has. I know a few people who use the Conti GT as a daily-driver, and have only one other car

I think you are focusing on Rappers too much... sure, Fiddy Cent et al will be ordering them, but i'm sure the no. of non-famous owners far outweighs the no. of famous ones
Old 04-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #29
RC45
Regular User

I think you are focusing on Rappers too much... sure, Fiddy Cent et al will be ordering them, but i'm sure the no. of non-famous owners far outweighs the no. of famous ones
That's the point - all the tasteless yuppies will be clamouring after the latest fad... in this case the Bentley SUV.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #30
blah
Regular User

The real question here is will it come stock with 24s?