Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
mindgam3
Regular User

Default Another marque bites the dust

Bentley to produce SUV under VW

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=10215
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

:roll: i can see the moms in them now, going to their PTA meeting, on their cell phones, telling their friends that they just got a new bentley. well im sure it will sell like crazy.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by JiggaStyles09
:roll: i can see the moms in them now, going to their PTA meeting, on their cell phones, telling their friends that they just got a new bentley. well im sure it will sell like crazy.
You forgot about the "gangsta" rappers and their hoes...and all the bling bling...

This is a sad day for Bentley. Thanks Volkswagen!! :roll:
Old 04-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

Originally Posted by |Nuno|
You forgot about the "gangsta" rappers and their hoes...and all the bling bling...

lol yea i forgot about them, with their 24 inch rims that completely fuck with the suspension that the engineers built into the car. not to mention the look.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
|Nuno|
Regular User

with their 24 inch rims that completely fuck with the suspension that the engineers built into the car. not to mention the look.
Wha...? :shock: Wat are u sayn' son, theyre "kool" and give more horsepowa*.

* Believe it or not, but a friend of mine who is a ricer, actualy tought that. And he also said that they give you better traction. Seriuosly. Fast & Furious ruined the kid's mind...
Old 04-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
astonmartinandy
Regular User

I just think it's disgusting that these car firms are now solely operated by pen pushers from behind their desks - with no regard for the driver (their customers).

What is stupid however, is the fact that companies like VW will spend millions marketing Bentley and glamourising the marque. If they were to simply release a car in the true spirit of Bentley, with a sporty yet luxurious feel, they would please their customers and sell more, but most importantly preserve the brand itself.

Thus, a GOOD car would make them money and save them money they would have had to spend on advertising to save the brand if they released an SUV.
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by astonmartinandy
I just think it's disgusting that these car firms are now solely operated by pen pushers from behind their desks - with no regard for the driver (their customers).

What is stupid however, is the fact that companies like VW will spend millions marketing Bentley and glamourising the marque. If they were to simply release a car in the true spirit of Bentley, with a sporty yet luxurious feel, they would please their customers and sell more, but most importantly preserve the brand itself.

Thus, a GOOD car would make them money and save them money they would have had to spend on advertising to save the brand if they released an SUV.
i agree.

This will kill the Bentley spirit :cry:

Selling 10, 000 cars a year is not cool. A bentley should be all about excess, no limits, but they want to create more and more. The Conti GT is as common as a Focus near me. I have honestly seen more of them than Clio 182s

I think the Phantom is a great car, and R-R have given it a price tag to deter the footballers and less successful. To own a Conti GT you need to be rich, but you need to be really rich to own a R-R Phantom... having an appreciation for the engineering that went into making it the car it is 8)

VW is killing Bentley, and if they ever do anything like this at Lamborghini, it will be a disaster.... forcing the brands into a downward spiral.

The Veyron project has been heavily criticised, and rightly so. The power-chasing decision makers have shown a disregard for the Bugattis of the past, and tried to create what they think is a modern Bugatti. If only they would ask the public opinion, they would realise that this car is a monster, with all the negative connotations of the word. It has no spirit, and no links to the past, apart from the huge price-tag. The only problem is, whilst the Royale is worth £5m, a real petrolhead wouldn't pay 10 quid for a Veyron (actually, i would, but that's not the point).

With all of these historic marques "biting the dust", lets hope that Pagani, Konenigsegg and the like will continue to build cars not for the sacke of financial gain, but for the sake of good cars.

Not helped by the fact that Ferrari is preparing to be sold....
Old 04-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
blah
Regular User

This just makes Rolls Royce look better and better. Watch ive jinxed it and tommarow the Rolls Royce Phantom Dub Duece Edition on spinners SAV.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:28 PM   #9
racer_f50
Regular User

Bently's image has already been in decline (thanks to their recent clients, such as rappers & anyone of the 'bling' persuasion), so this just adds insult to injury I suppose. Doesn't bother me too much that its Bently doing it, just bothers me that another car maker feels there's a need for another SUV in the already over-saturated market
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #10
stradale
Regular User

Although I'm not a Bentley fan, except for the old racing cars, I hate to see this happen to yet another legendary name. But it's a bit late to be saying the marque is now going downhill, because that has been going on with the current range as well. And to some extent even before that, when Bentleys were hardly anything more than sportier (tarted up, if you will) Rolls Royces.

The days when Bentley followed its own unique course and had its own identity have been gone for ages.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #11
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by thenumber1
The Conti GT is as common as a Focus near me. I have honestly seen more of them than Clio 182s
Try London during the rush hour. Worst part is, 99% of them are almost always the same colour (Either black or silver).

Ferrari is apparently going to be floated on the stock market, but not totally sold, according to the latest issue in CAR. I guess there's no harm in it, as long as the right people still hold the power in the company.

Better that then FIAT going under and taking everything with it... Alfa, Maserati, et al.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:12 AM   #12
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
Originally Posted by |Nuno|

hey hey, lets not be hasty now. you can blame it on all and anyone who buys a fucking suv. everyone that thinks its kool to have a big suv that gets 12mpg. why do you think Porsche made an suv, they knew the fucktards would buy one so they made one and the same goes for Bentley, they know the fucktards will pay for them so they will invest money where its seen fit.
people wouldnt buy a bently SUV if there was no bentley SUV. THis is VAGs fault.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #13
|Nuno|
Regular User

hey hey, lets not be hasty now. you can blame it on all and anyone who buys a fucking suv.
I know, I know... I was just giving an example of the trendyness (I don't even know if this word exists) of SUV's.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
tekwar
Regular User

great just what we need another SUV on the road....
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:35 AM   #15
Fleischmann
Regular User

That sucks. 10000 units per year...Bentley is loosing it's exclusivity

At least rapers will have "inspiration" for their lyrics