Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-19-2004, 03:48 AM   #31
OVERLORD_CHRIS
Regular User

Horse Racing was actualy the first form of racing lol i looked it up on yahoo

Does it say if the Merc is powered by a huge AMG motor, or a Ford/Chevy motor?
OVERLORD_CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 04:28 AM   #32
nthfinity
Regular User

and its pointless, thats what im saying. racing is about how good of a driver you are or can be, and simply cause your car is faster in a line it means nothing. sorry i dont see drag racing as a true form of motorsport.
i strongly disagree!
first, motors are directly involved
second, the fastest wins in all cases... even when running for a specific time... its still based on rules, and not judging.
to me, something stops being a sport when judges are involved to decide your rating.
i will say, drag racing is fun, and likely more of a rush than curcuit driving... but i will also agree with you that going 'round bends is much more fun... particularly if you take them just right!
Old 11-19-2004, 04:39 AM   #33
nthfinity
Regular User

also, ronin...
have you ever accellerated remotely close to a 10 second 1/4 mile? i seriously doubt it... as if you were even a passenger, you would have more respect for drag racing...
'any idiot can go fast in a straight line'
that may be true for a stock auto with an automatic... but far from any realistic experience.
i think you ought to modify what you said to
'any idiot with an idiot type car can hit vmax in a straight line'
or something to that nature...
since you live in CT, next sumer, you ougth to goto Cedar Pointe in Sandusky, OH and ride the 'top thrill dragster' i think that you would find a new appreciation and respect for drag racing just riding a dumb roller coaster that accellerates you from 0-120+mph in 4 seconds... the feeling is fucking incredible, and just think... how much distance you are covering in that short period.

you are talking out your arse based on flawed opinon.
last time i checked, 8g's is something only fighter pilots, and drag racers do. ... not F1 drivers even in high speed turns, or braking.

if you continue to have this same opinion... i can do nothing more, and will say nothing more
Old 11-19-2004, 10:33 PM   #34
neilo63
Regular User

I'd expect that to flip as soon as you plant your foot down
neilo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:57 AM   #35
adamk24
Regular User

I grew up drag racing. My dad and me built an 8 second custom car based on an el camino chassis, with camero body work. He owns a 7 second drag bike, as well as a low 11 second trans am. My eclipse has run 12.23@ 127mph. I could say I have more experience in drag racing than another other form of motor sport.

That said, I think drag racing is totaly stupid. It can be fun, but It is not nearly as much fun as road coarse racing. Also, there are a million forms of racing, but I think drag racing is the only one I can think of where at the highest level it has no changed but .01% in the last 15 years. Seriously, once they got the aero dynamics of top fuel down, they have not really changed mutch for along ass time. Every car is the same, no race is interesting. Sounds familure? Oh yeah, Nascar is gay too.....

Drag racing your own car is fun, and I love mod'ing up cars for racing, but when I think about going out and having fun in my car, I have dreams off gravel induced drifts, slopped and curvy shipping alles and abandoned parking lots with islands for dodging. I never dream of just accelerating. You can do that anywhere, even on a raod coarse might I add...
adamk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:53 AM   #36
mk2 fan
Regular User

its a dragster they have acceleration like nothing else can get to 200 in about 4 seconds so that is very very believable

I find it a bit strange how there are members on here who come on post pics of dragsters and then go wow its so fast i cant believe it

THEY WERE MADE TO GO FAST LIKE THAT
Old 11-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #37
DUNKiNUTS

well, still drag racing is the basis for racing. in road racing you drag to the first corner. and you can suck at driving and just pull like a mad man on the straight and win. Its been done many a times.
DUNKiNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:37 PM   #38
mk2 fan
Regular User

no you cant, If you suck at driving youll get anniahlated on a track, you cant just go fast down straights, everyone else is going just as fast down the straights and then alot faster round the corners too, + if you try and outbrake them you go off and if your not on the racing line youll have to sloow waaaaaaaaaay down at orners and ..well basically if you suck you wouldnt even be in racing 0X