Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #31
harryo2b
Regular User

If you guys are talking new GT3 then you break the $100,000 barrier as well, if you are talking new '04 GT3 then that was $99,000

'06 Carrera S. 6 spd, base model as I don't need any fancy options as they cost too much for what they are. Second set of 18" Winter tires for the winter months (required by German law to at least have All Seasons)

It can easily be used for daily driving and that is proven very much so here in Germany where I see many 997S and non S cars being driven even during winter while carrying the family. Insurance wouldn't be so bad as it would be a touch more than what I am paying now for my 987S.

It can be taken to the store for groceries, the ski slope for a weekend of skiing, the mountain for some mountain biking or even the track for a thrashing and yet be driven home the same day without having to change a thing. It can go, stop, turn with the best of them for it's target audience.

I wouldn't need anything more really until I got some proper seat time at a DE where I learned how to use a car's full potential. Then maybe I would consider GT3 since I would know more of how to push the car to the edge without certain death.

2006 Porsche Boxster S/Atlas Grey Metallic/Black/Black/6 spd
Canon 30D/17-85 IS/70-200 4L IS/580EXII/430EX/B+W Filters
harryo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #32
Mattk
Regular User

^To be perfectly honest, some Australian journalists weren't too keen on the Monaro's inferior (relatively) cornering ability. Part of the Monaro's appeal here is the history of the car, which cannot be replicated abroad.

A second choice for me would be the F6 Typhoon, also from FPV. 6 cyclinders, but not much less power, and same race car dynamics and technology. A few thousand bucks more expensive, though, because it has more luxury things inside. It's probably one of the most critically acclaimed Australian performance cars around.

It is clear from my choices that I'm a Ford fan, but the HSV cars are much the same and would also be worthy choices if you 1) like Holdens or 2) don't care.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #33
Neema702
Regular User

sorry... i didnt realize 100K was a the real barrier, i thought everyone used their own disgression... well then id def. have to say the 08' E90 BMW M3 or a 07' 997 Carrera S.
Neema702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:14 AM   #34
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by harryo2b
If you guys are talking new GT3 then you break the $100,000 barrier as well, if you are talking new '04 GT3 then that was $99,000
Shows I am stuck in the past then

So that means the 997GT3 and RS just moved out of the "affordable" range

The 997S is a very fast car - pretty close to the 996 GT3 so that would be a good substitute.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:19 AM   #35
obdr
Regular User

Well, in reply to RC45...yes Nissan is planning a pretty big overhaul of the 350z since its such a strong seller for them. I believe, though Im not certain, that they are planning something to coincide with Toyotas launch of the new Supra (which I am also very much looking forward to).

According to some sources, Toyota plans to steal the top spot in this class from Nissan with its next Supra, giving more performance for less money then the 350z....and of course with Toyota build quality to match. We all know how bullet-proof the old Supras motor was so pretty much everybody trusts Toyota knows what its doing..........
obdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #36
TopGearNL
Regular User

Corvette or Porsche
Old 01-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #37
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by bmagni
they're fast enough to be considered sports cars...
No they are not fast enough to be considered sports cars - that is point of having a "sports car" category.. because sports cars are faster, lighter, nimbler and overall quicker than the rest.
Originally Posted by nthfinity
there is clear difference in my mind between a sports car, and a sporty car... a sedan is no sports car in any way shape or form... 2 doors, 4 seats may fit... but... that may be streatching it.

a RS6 is NO sportscar, the RS4 is sporting, but no sports car, M3? I think its right around there, the 911 C2... you are going slower and slower, C4... a bit faster, an usable anyday...
ever heard of the word "sports sedan" ??
they may not be a sports car by definition but they have some sports car traits, which makes them IMO qualify for the subject in matter...

as for best bang for the buck I think it has been discussed so many times and it has been agreed by most of all which one get the title.
Really? I would not be so sure - after all you just offered an M3 and an M5 as "sports car" options.
ummmm, thats biased bullshit..
tell me, according to "RC45's book of sports cars" how does the M3 doesn't qualify as such.
Cause I see you saying that a 350Z is a great choice... :roll:

I thought the topic was about options, opinions, and personal choices, not which one is the overall winner
The choices options and opinions should all logically steer towards the same short list - if they don't then the problem lies with the definition of "sports car" and "reasonable cost".

And before you simply assume the winner, don't - the point is to weed out those that are definately not even in the running because of cost and or performance.
once again, then why is the 350Z a great choice ??

So - in this discussion, even though it is almost the greatest sports car even produced, the Enzo cannot get on this list... it fails the price test.
lol, best car ever produced and best bang for the buck sports car are VERY different

Similarly, the Caterham Superlight R cannot be on the list, because it really cannot practically be used to drive to work in the rain....
it can be used all summer long... and have a Corsa for rainy days

ANd neither can the Mazda Miatat - its too slow, and so with the Audi TT, even the Evo - cant run to 170mph+.
Neither can an Exige S, still you called it a great choice too :roll:

WHy does a stock M3 not make the list? Performance - its not in the "sports car" league of the day. This was true in 1987 and is true in 2007 - has the M3 of the day ever been as fast a 911 Turbo or F248/355/360/430?
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Why compare an M3 with a superior class car ??

Try not to turn this into "We hate the Corvette" thread if youpossibly can
why would I turn the discussion into a "we hate corvette" thread ? you believing everyone hates corvette is just getting pathetic, many people have said their different reasons (factual or non factual) to not have such a high praise for the corvette as you, but you keep saying "we hate the corvette".

- but also try be realistic within the topic criteria.

Sports Car
the one who changes the criteria is you... how ?? saying the 350Z is a good option but the M3 is not, saying that the cars have to reach 170+, and have good luggage space, but saying an Exige S is a good choice too. or first saying that the 911 is not fast but then sayin its super fast...
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #38
RC45
Regular User

...cut out a bunch of whining...
The 350Z is a good choice but is too slow to actually be considered - but it is far more sports cra than an M3 could dream of being - sorry. The Exige makes the cut because it is fast car.. very fast in the right hands.

The 997S is a lot more car than a 996C2 or C4... thats why a 997S is super fast and a 911 C2 or C4 is not... the price range is up to $100,000 with certain performance requirments and if the 997GT3 costs over $100,000 then it is out of the running for this contest...

If a car is too slow or costs too much it is out of the running.

You understand now? BTW a stock M3 is a slow car... is has sprty pretentions, but it is slow.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #39
IMKAOS
Regular User

Think I'd pick a GT3, it might not have the straight line speed of a corvette but it can sure out handle one and I think thats more important in the real world...
IMKAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #40
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by IMKAOS
Think I'd pick a GT3, it might not have the straight line speed of a corvette but it can sure out handle one and I think thats more important in the real world...
That's what I would have bought if I could have afforded one at the time
Old 01-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #41
r2r
Regular User

^^ Soo....could you afford one now if u sell your vette?
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #42
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by r2r
^^ Soo....could you afford one now if u sell your vette?
Yes - but would miss being able to fit 8ft strips of wood in the GT3 if I go the home depot.

It's fun to watch the Home Depot guy wheel the cart of wood strips and trimming for woodwroking projects out the parking lot and sopt near a pickup and I say no further over there - and then he steers toards the SUV and I have to say "No - the Corvette".

BUt yes, a nice yellow 996 GT3 MK2 wold be a great fun substitute.. even though most EVO's, STi's and Mustang V8's would out run the GT3 to 100mph
Old 01-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #43
r2r
Regular User

It's fun to watch the Home Depot guy wheel the cart of wood strips and trimming for woodwroking projects out the parking lot and sopt near a pickup and I say no further over there - and then he steers toards the SUV and I have to say "No - the Corvette".
Ha ha, that's great. The look on the guy's face must be priceless!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #44
r2r
Regular User

How about an Audi R8?

Seen it at the NAIAS, looks great inside and out.

Mid engine, permanent four wheel drive (so you can use it all year around)

After all, it supposedly is going to be the most fierce competition for the 911!

But we'll have to wait and see the performance on the track.

the only problem I have with the R8, is that it reminds me a bit too much of the less desirable TT.

2vids

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=audi+r8&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=audi+r8&hl=en
Old 01-22-2007, 12:50 AM   #45
tforth
Regular User

IMKAOS wrote:

That's what I would have bought if I could have afforded one at the time
My eyes must be going...
tforth is offline   Reply With Quote